No announcement yet.

Cardinal References or Map References?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinal References or Map References?

I've got a question for everyone here that has played on the server.

Though I haven't been on recently (been meaning to get back on) when I did play a lot, I noticed that different squadleaders/teammates would give out contact calls differently.

Some SLs would call out "Contact, north side" others would call out "Contact, Bravo side" which in my opinion, both work.

My question to you guys is which do you use/prefer? I can see why people call out flag names because it gets rid of the need to really know the map/look at the map. Despite this, I still prefer hearing/giving out the cardinal directions, it just makes more sense to me.

If someone called out to me "Contact delta side" it would take me longer to find contact as opposed to "Contact north side" which is easier to me.
    |TG6|Flarionice
    Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Re: Cardinal References or Map References?

i have to use map references, i cant tell you how many times ive died looking at the map for cardinal directions. a simple compass on the hud would make things so much better for me, if that were the case i would go for cardinal directions for sure. in the real world i can point north and/or toward home very well, but digitally i'm lost.

Comment

I forgot to mention: This is assuming we are on the TG server's (hardcore) settings where there is no minimap, meaning you can't look down at the minimap and get a general idea of the cardinal direction.
      |TG6|Flarionice

Comment

I usually try to use some type of specific land mark when I make contact reports. Directions only really work when the whole squad is in one tight area, and if you're like me you can never remember which way is which in BF anyway.

Comment

I usually try and orient myself with the big map to give cardinal directions, only way to do it. Once you have the map mostly into memory, you dont need to check any longer
          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Cardinal directions FTW. It's quick and easy, plus map references can be harder to understand in the heat of the moment (what bridge, this one or the one over there?) I bind my map to the middle mouse button and flick it open constantly for situational awareness.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I do both. Orient myself with the big map for cardinal directions, and I use landmarks/adjacent flags. It varies, for me. I also use the environment sometimes and label stuff. Like the D flag on Lancang Dam, with the buildings.......one has MRI machines in it, so obviously that's "MRI Building" and the other building has a lab in it....so that's "Lab Building".
              |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

I use both but only because squad mates don't orient to the map cardinal directions landmarks can be vague
                sigpic

Comment

I generally like cardinal directions if my squad is holding a point, and relative positions (left/right side) when we're moving and all facing the same direction. But I've found it depends on the map. Last night on Paracel I was holding B with a whole squad that used cardinal directions perfectly. I think it's easier on a map like that where you know A is north. Throw me into Altai Range, which they completely flipped with an update a while back, and I have no bearing so I generally say flag directions.

Comment

All night long im like....

Comment

My biggest problem with the cardinal directions is I can't tell north from south in most maps, I think Paracel is the only one where I know which way is north most of the time, however the rest of the time I will use map references, even on Paracel it's easier to use the map references, Last night several times I heard squad mates and myself reference the enemy carrier because that was easier than east

Comment

I tend to switch between the two depending on the map. I think this is something that will vary from SL to SL. Some prefer cardinal and others prefer relative (what is around you). I tend to use relative (e.g.: tank coming from Charlie direction!) for maps that I don't know the cardinal directions of and cardinal for the ones I'm very familiar with. Sadly this means I'm very inconsistent from map to map so I tend to try and stick with relative if I'm leading the same squad through multiple rounds. Using relative I find also lets me keep my squad constantly scanning their thereabouts ensuring they have the best situational awareness at any given moment (usually makes them look at their maps when they can or look around instead of staring only down their gun barrels).
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Lol Shane, having played with you, I can attest to that. "Don't go in there! I just got blown up"

Looks like (at least here) that the general consensus is that cardinal directions are better. Though situationally, map reference points help a lot.

Also abend, I can see where you're coming from on Altai, I've started getting re-adjusted though and I can use the directions correctly.
                          |TG6|Flarionice

Comment

Verbally calling out threats is a big part of SLing for me and I'll use all of the above. Close in, usually landmarks of a flag, crates, helo pad, trenches, bridge etc. Outside of the flag radius I might say something like "coming in from Bravo", "between us and Charlie". My hope is to allow some intel to be quickly passed to SM's without them having to go into the map to see what I'm talking about. On the more open maps, especially island ones; I'm find the cardinal references increasing useful.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X