Great news from the CTE server tests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Great news from the CTE server tests

Some of you may already be aware of the Community Test Environment Server program spun up by DICE and EA about a week ago.

These are limited access, PC only, servers where various patches and changes can be applied and tested quickly in a live environment before being potentially rolled out as updates to the game proper.

Well there has been some really interesting developments on that front and below are a couple of videos from LevelCap and Xfactor discussing their experiences thus far and the potential updates that could be heading to the game in the near future. In particular there is some fantastic news about server 'tick rate', mouse/ADS sensitivity settings and screen shake. All very, very positive and exciting stuff.

Enjoy!

Re: Great news from the CTE server tests

I played the CTE once the other day. It does feel somewhat better with a 30Hz tickrate, but since I'm so used to hardcore, I was just getting upset that I had to shoot someone like 6 times before they would die. I'm also not used to seeing hitmarkers, so I can't say for sure if hit registration was better for me, I've never really noticed an issue with it. I didn't get a real chance to test anything specific like dying behind cover, but I certainly didn't notice it happen.

I haven't played the second patch yet, though I do want to check out the new uniform soldier aiming and reduced screen shake.

There's a really long thread on the CTE forum petitioning Dice to get rid of visual recoil so your sight actually matches the real recoil of the gun, and a developer said they're looking into "significantly reducing" it. So that's good news.

Comment

Very encouraging, hope some of these come out in a patch for us all soon.
      sigpic

Comment

Glad it's happening but wish this had been implemented earlier rather than that Customer Appreciation month joke. I've noticed less and less servers in the browser lately hope this brings the community back before the EOL of the game.

Comment

Netcode fix...so no more rubberbanding? Hmm, I'll hold judgement until they actually deploy these fixes.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Not really related to rubberbanding, that's more of an issue with processing power and bandwidth. When the client can't keep up it can drop packets and you get bounced back to a previous location. The 'netcode' has to do with one hit kills, people shooting you while looking another direction, getting killed after you get behind cover, hit registration, etc.

Comment

A further video from jackfrags, this one actually shows some CTE footage and he explains some of the work going on regarding patches and what we may see in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by abendchain View Post
                Not really related to rubberbanding, that's more of an issue with processing power and bandwidth. When the client can't keep up it can drop packets and you get bounced back to a previous location. The 'netcode' has to do with one hit kills, people shooting you while looking another direction, getting killed after you get behind cover, hit registration, etc.
                So you're telling me my beast of a machine is to blame for my rubberbanding? Seriously...a i7-3770K + 32 GBs of RAM + GTX670 + SSD + a 25 mbit down/5 mbit up connection can't handle BF4 on high settings @ 1920 x 1200...yeah right.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  So you're telling me my beast of a machine is to blame for my rubberbanding? Seriously...a i7-3770K + 32 GBs of RAM + GTX670 + SSD + a 25 mbit down/5 mbit up connection can't handle BF4 on high settings @ 1920 x 1200...yeah right.
                  No, I'm not telling you that at all. I'm just saying the term 'netcode' isn't really about rubberbanding as much as it's about the other things I mentioned.

Also, you could have the fastest computer and internet connection in the world, but if the server isn't powerful enough or there's congestion between you and it, you can drop packets and you'll get lag. When I said processing power and bandwidth, there's more in the chain than just your pc and home internet connection.

Comment

Originally posted by abendchain View Post
                    No, I'm not telling you that at all. I'm just saying the term 'netcode' isn't really about rubberbanding as much as it's about the other things I mentioned.

Also, you could have the fastest computer and internet connection in the world, but if the server isn't powerful enough or there's congestion between you and it, you can drop packets and you'll get lag. When I said processing power and bandwidth, there's more in the chain than just your pc and home internet connection.
                    So our BF4 server box is overloaded? Okay, that's not surprising when it comes to rented game servers that are sold off of a shared box (overselling + overloading is fairly common in the hosting industry). Processing power in-between...well I'm fairly sure that doesn't really have much to do with a PC CPU per se. Most networks run dedicated hardware, meaning each router, switch, etc has its own hardware sifting, sending, and receiving those packets we rely on.

So in short, you're saying our BF4 server is to blame for rubberbanding? Why didn't you just say so?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm not saying that either, I'm not saying anything is specifically to blame. I'm not sure why you keep saying I am. I said it could be a bunch of things, but rubberbanding is due to lag. 'Netcode' is about the actual code of the game and how it handles interaction between players, whether your bullets register as hits correctly, whether you still take damage behind cover, etc. And that is what the CTE is working on fixing right now.

Comment

No it isn't 'our server'. I say this not as some sort of public relations thing but because there is so much misinformation put about.

BF4 has, at present, a 10hz tickrate. Traditionally that is viewed as incredibly low for a FPS. For example CS servers run at between 60 and 100 hz tickrate (approx). Tickrate is the rate at which data is updated and shared between the host and client. Now CS can 'afford' (resource wise) to run at this extremely high tickrate because it runs a hit scan system. Essentially it is point and click in a linear fashion. You put your crosshairs on a target and click and the system determines whether or not you hit and that's it. Line of sight, near instantaneous hit, updated at a very high rate.

Now games like CS can afford this very fast 'information refresh rate' because they are simple and don't have interactive environments or complex ballistic systems. As such they only have a fraction of the information to transmit at any given time and can therefore 'afford' to do it very regularly over the network with little impact.

BF4 and BF3 however have both a complex physics engine and a full blown ballistics engine and transmit considerably more traffic at each update. Each change in data, including all the destruction, must be transmitted to each client at each update. In addition each and every bullet fired has its own physics model and that info must be transmitted to each and every client at each sequential update. If you have ever played CS and BF4 think about how it plays, think about how the environment alone changes milisecond by milisecond. All that info has to be transmitted to everyone, all the time.

BF4 servers are rented to clients. You get a choice of providers from an approved list. Now as far as I am aware, and I have checked, they are all configured exactly the same as per agreement. The issue has been for BF3 and 4 that a low tickrate or update rate in laymans terms has led to a sometimes less than crisp feel in certain areas. You get killed after you round a corner or trade kills with an individual. Now tickrate is not the only contributor but it is certainly a major player in events like this.

The great news about the CTE server tests is that they have been trialling a 30 ms tickrate, i.e. 3 x the current tickrate of BF4, which has (according to reports) led to a real snappy feel to the game overall.

However there are a multitude of factors that can affect how the game plays for you the individual at any given moment and they can manifest themselves in numerous ways. A lot of online shooters have a form of interpolation built in and many have a default value for network interpolation set as default. I don' propose to go into this in any detail as it's a big subject but suffice to say it affects what you see and how you shoot. BF4 has a network smoothing slider on the client side that further affects this. Simply put you can change how much interpolation you experience, you can alter the visual update rate you receive information from the host server which dependent on ping and connection can mean a higher update rate with some warping or a smoother experience where the hitboxes don't match up exactly, dependent on other circumstances. It's complicated. I should probably try and compile a guide based on the known information thus far. Basically if you ping low to a server and have a solid, consistent connection, then set network smoothing to low, like 10% or less. That should give you the snappiest response when playing until they release the CTE updates. If you ping higher and potentially lose the odd packet you should probably leave your network smoothing at about 40-50 as otherwise people may appear to warp across your screen and your experience may feel disconnected, exacerbating a feeling of 'lag'.

As I say, we run a stock server as provided and prescribed, hence I am looking forward to the updates.

(The above is the ramblings of a madman, so if you happen to a network optimisation guru with real knowledge I will bow, defer to you and graciously accept further enlightenment.):icon_lol:

Comment

An update on what is happening on the CTE game, shield is pretty effective if used right with a few people, especially when trying to make a push down corridors or tight spots.

Our second initiative on the CTE will be focusing on Core Gameplay. This means we will have a look at some of the central pieces of the game and how the game is behaving with the netcode changes and the difference in gameplay and second to second gunplay that it has created.

PHASE 1: DRAGON’S TEETH
                          First, we will be focusing on the fixes/improvements, new weapons and gadgets of the Dragon’s Teeth release. This first update includes the bulk of the content included in the expansion – and we want to stress test it to see how well it performs in a live environment.

This means some of the changes you have gotten used to on the CTE will be missing for a week or so while this is happening (Uniform aiming is one of these items for instance). After the initial testing has concluded – we will put these features and improvements back in, and start the next phase.

INITIAL TEST PLAN
                          In this first phase we want to test the full extent of the game – is everything working the way it should?

We will be running servers with basegame maps, all unlocks enabled. This will give you access to all weapons and the ballistic shield – but not the Dragon’s Teeth maps/weapons at this time (weapons will come soon!).

For focused shield-testing, we’ll be running an infantry-only server running Operation Locker 24/7 – one of the map that the ballistic shield impacts the most.

INITIATIVE AREAS
                          Following the first phase’s completion, we will be looking at improvements in these key areas (in no particular order):

Weapon tweaks/balance
                          Weapon Supression tuning
                          3P Head-flinch dampening
                          Visual recoil ADS tuning
                          Vehicle tuning/balance
                          Gamemode focus: Rush
                          Continued tweaks to Obliteration Competitive
                          HUD improvements & bug fixes
                          Continued “Netcode” improvements

More information about each of these areas once phase one is over!

FEEDBACK
                          To give your feedback – please visit the newly created Core Gameplay forum and post your opinions in the appropriate section!
                          Open Core Gameplay Forum

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X