X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BolivianRAMPAGE
    started a topic [GUIDE] BaffteField Hardline Closed Beta

BaffteField Hardline Closed Beta

To those who weren't watching the conference, you can enter the closed beta but it is first come first serve. I made it myself but it was so laggy (from all the traffic) that I used my Ipad, Iphone, PC and ipod to get it on my Iphone in the end.
    TO get it, go to battlefield.com, go to the Hardline information, then sign up with Origin. Hope to see you on the field guys!

• Bear61
    replied
    Re: BaffteField Hardline Closed Beta

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post

Guys, what would it take for a community or small start up company to make a decent game that would refresh the kind of game we enjoy? I mean, what would it take for a company to create a game that is more of a spiritual successor to BF2, POE, and or PR? I know a PR that uses the Crytek 3 engine is in the works, but what would it take to get something on the market?
    Its being done right now by Sa-Matra, and is called "King if the Hill". It's an Arma 3 beta mod, (yes Arma supports mods, lots of them). I would say if you liked BF2 and all the mods, and don't like the way BF is heading, you owe it to yourself to try it. It's sector control with all types of weapons, armor, and air, any size squads, perfect multi channel comms, large destructible combat area, and most importantly unlimited teamwork opportunities. Oh and did I mention it's free! (you do however have to buy Arma 3).

The 12th plays this, or another amazing A3 mod by Sa-Matra called Wasteland nightly. Feel free to join us.
    Last edited by Bear61; 06-18-2014, 10:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrMojay
    replied

New update out today, most important one in bold...

•Fixed a crash that could happen while taking a screenshot
    •Fixed several audio issues, including a crash
    •Fixed a rare server crash
    •Added a poor network connection notification icon
    •Integrated same “netcode” improvements from Battlefield 4

Leave a comment:

• ANGELofDEATH
    replied

Originally posted by Photometric View Post
    I don't remember when people made a huge fuss over no modding capabilities for 2142. Also, DICE provided not many maps at all. Any player created maps were very rarely if at all on the TG server.
    But 2142 had mod support, sort of.. there were many mods for 2142. The huge outcry I was speaking of was over that fact that EA/DICE had not fixed BF2, and they were introducing that "add program" to 2142 that was tracking players location... which is common place now.

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
    Guys, what would it take for a community or small start up company to make a decent game that would refresh the kind of game we enjoy? I mean, what would it take for a company to create a game that is more of a spiritual successor to BF2, POE, and or PR? I know a PR that uses the Crytek 3 engine is in the works, but what would it take to get something on the market?
    It is possible with the right people. Writing a game of the magnitude that we are talking about is a huge undertaking. The thing is that 99% of gamers have no clue what it takes to make games. That is why they all cry about bugs and glitches and what not, like patches that break other things. NO clue what it takes to get all that code to work together. The tickrate in BF4 is so low compared to games like COD and CS, is because those games are only comparing the players and their fire.. not all that destruction happening to every piece of scenery with every stray shot from all those Neebs blasting away in BF3 and 4.

There is just too much information for the servers to keep up with the expectations of the players who want a perfect shooter.

I laughed hard at the new video from Neebs_Gaming, the BFF guys. When Neebs is firing at an infantry with the AA and says, something to the effect, "Wow, it took a lot of bullets to kill that guy." .. With a response from the other guy, "Yeah, with you firing!" ... Neebs emptied the cannons on the guy who was within 50 meters, firing all around him, and finally killing him as the guns went dry.

AS for Hardline .. with the right people it is fun, with pubs, usually not so much. It is very CoDish, with vehicles, the map is not that big, dont expect that to change too much with the full release. You can run from the money stash to the drop points without too much trouble. Of course easier with vehicles and teammates. I played a couple rounds with a squad who was sticking together, on foot and in vehicles. Reviving and covering each other like you would expect from a squad of TG, and we trampled the other team 5 rounds in a row, wasnt even a challenge the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I see it as a fun game that will be fun to play with the right people, and probably with a small following here at TG. I dont see it as a long term game here at TG.

Leave a comment:

• ANGELofDEATH
    replied

Originally posted by draeh View Post
    I almost put 1000 hours into 2142 alone. Its my opinion that major studios are intentionally trying to shorten the lifespan of their games to force the purchasing cycle. After all its in their best interest to do so. The entertainment industry quote, "Always leave them wanting more" comes to mind.
    I already have close to 700 in BF4.. I played BF1942 and DesertCombat for 3+ years, BF2 and POE2 for 2+, basically from '02 to somewhere in '07. I dont even want to think about how many hours that was. Nor how many hours I put into SWTOR in the 2 years I played that timesink, a MMO with a sub, and new content coming out on a basis that was not fast enough for the player base.

Your other comments... Oh yeah, exactly.

My thought is, Would you be willing to pay a monthly subscription for a BF game that puts out new content on a monthly or bi-monthly basis?

MMOs do it, that is how they make their games grow in content. Many of us paid for Premium for BF3 and 4. E-Male made the comment first, but I agree with him, and I would pay a sub for a game that is promising new content on a regular basis. I have done it in the past and will do it again.

Leave a comment:

• Razcsak
    replied

No, 2142's maps were noticeably better than BF3's and there were some excellent balance decisions made. The lack of jets meant that the entire air/armor dynamic was more easily balanced, to great effect, and the maps were more infantry-focused than any other BF but BC2. The combination of both of the above made for a better playing experience all around, in my opinion, which is why, small playerbase relative to BF2 aside, I think it remains the best Battlefield. I tried Hardline because I thought it had the potential to be the 2142 to BF4 (though I highly doubted it) because of what I saw was an increased infantry focus. I don't think Hardline gets there, and I don't think it will be there on release, because it just feels like a poor reskin.

(Note that it does have some really nice ease-of-use features like being able to grab health and ammo off other players. While not particularly useful on TG, that's a godsend on pub servers). The other part of this that galls me is that, rather than putting out a yearly release like COD, EA opted to go with the premium system and to essentially lengthen the game's lifespan that way. I...sort of appreciated that. Not particularly, but it was better than a yearly release. Putting out premium and a yearly release is just too much, and for that alone, they wouldn't get my money even if Hardline is excellent. I wouldn't mind if they have one main studio putting out BrownManShooter v.43 iteratively while a secondary studio puts out other, more experimental concepts every so often, but I am not really expecting that.

Basically, I'm tired of "modern" war settings. They're played out. They're dumb. They unnecessarily limit gameplay. Give me my hovermechs and laser cannons and cloaking devices and cloning tanks, because you can do so much more. And that's why I'm holding out for Battlefront.

edit: For what I mean, just look at this game in Heist mode. There's zero reason for there to be mirrored classes. What do the cops need with an engineer at all? Why is the LAPD choosing to stop an armed robbery by firing RPGs into the city? Why not play with the class/weapon balance to create an actual asymmetrical gameplay element? Make weapons and classes team dependent, and you'd have something that is much less derivative-seeming, while opening up more interesting gameplay.

Leave a comment:

• BeSiege82
    replied

Originally posted by Photometric View Post
    What he said. However, we stayed with those games because there wasn't alot in the way of competition as well. Back at the inception of 2142, there was nothing that equaled it in scope and quality. And, at the end, it was just a special reskin of BF2 with new types of armor.

However, I do believe that the battlefield games are designed with limited content capability in mind so people move to the next version (as much as EA denies this.)

I don't remember when people made a huge fuss over no modding capabilities for 2142. Also, DICE provided not many maps at all. Any player created maps were very rarely if at all on the TG server.

So, we have been given alot more in terms of the product compared to 2142. It was THE COMMUNITY that made that game. Plain and simple.
    Wicks, the community certainly did make the game. I remember PR and 2142 as two of the big parts in TG and similar communities. As for the other games, I think those who are less influenced by the "once a year pump-out" is the MMO genre. Just MMO's last until people get tired of subscriptions, missions, expansions, and and micro-installments...

I remember Star Wars mods and some other mods for 2142. It should be said that many stuck with BF2 because it was already well understood by the time 2142 came out.

Leave a comment:

• Photometric
    replied

Originally posted by draeh View Post
    I almost put 1000 hours into 2142 alone. Its my opinion that major studios are intentionally trying to shorten the lifespan of their games to force the purchasing cycle. After all its in their best interest to do so. The entertainment industry quote, "Always leave them wanting more" comes to mind.
    What he said. However, we stayed with those games because there wasn't alot in the way of competition as well. Back at the inception of 2142, there was nothing that equaled it in scope and quality. And, at the end, it was just a special reskin of BF2 with new types of armor.

However, I do believe that the battlefield games are designed with limited content capability in mind so people move to the next version (as much as EA denies this.)

So, we have been given alot more in terms of the product compared to 2142. It was THE COMMUNITY that made that game. Plain and simple.

Leave a comment:

• draeh
    replied

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
    Unlike those of us PC players who can easily put hundreds, yes plural, hours into a game.. and play it for years.

Leave a comment:

• ANGELofDEATH
    replied

E-Male, that is because most players your age, and any age for that matter, are playing the casual/social games found on Facebook, and or their mobile device. If you keep up with Gamasutra, the online version of the now defunct Game Developer Magazine, there are stories weekly of how this veteran developer has gone indie, or how these two quit working for StudioX to start a new company to work on smaller games, away from corporate developer giants like EA, Activision/Blizzard... All because , as we all know.. those corporations are only interested in the bottom line.. not really in the quality of their games.. even if these game titles are known to be the highest of quality... as a far as the 16-29 age bracket are concerned. These are the players who buy AAA console games, that they play for 8-20 hours.. or multiplayer for maybe a 100 hours tops before moving on. Unlike those of us PC players who can easily put hundreds, yes plural, hours into a game.. and play it for years.

But as you said, without mod support, dozens of hours, not hundreds, are about all someone could stand of a typical game's content.. without DLC, which is just more money in the Devs pocket. But that is what they want, they want to you to buy more games! That is why mod support has been stopped by most developers, they want you to buy next years offering from them, not to continue to play BF2, nor COD4 for years. :)

Leave a comment:

• Dredge
    replied

I think it might be the first time in history a Battlefield game is purchased for the single player story hahaha

Leave a comment:

• BolivianRAMPAGE
    replied

I personally am not gonna buy the full game, due to the net code, but I might if they fix it. I hope that the story is good though, being made by Visceral means that the story SHOULD be good, based on their track record with Dead Space.

Leave a comment:

• chaos777b
    replied

This game is extremely fast pace, close quarters combat. Something Battlefield was known not to do, and the whole reason I started playing battlefield series to begin with. Some of the rounds on Heist run less than 2 mins, with almost 2 mins between rounds makes it less than enjoyable. Its like playing rush, but with only one set of M-Com's on a small map. I know its a Beta, but having a mobile Armored spawn point(for the entire team, not just your squad) that you can park on the objective,... yeah

Leave a comment:

• LpBronco
    replied

+1 to Dr Strangelove

I may disagree with the idea that we will no longer have longer lived games (World of Tanks for example) but I do understand the fragmentation that we've all been railing for years even to the point of my reprimand in these forums. What I see as the upside is a point of convergent evolution in the platforms so that there is less difference in the consoles and the PC, just look at the newly released Alien Console and the soon to be added Steam Box. Also, the mixed platform action that Wicks posted in War Thunder. I see more Hope than Doom these days even if it means there are fewer games I help support.

Leave a comment:

• E-Male
    replied

The gaming sector is facing incredible fragmentation due to the increase in platforms, genres, and developers. Thus I do not think we will see long-lived communties centred on specific titles that we saw in the past, or titles with life spans much beyond 12 months. BF3, BC2, Planetside, all these came and went quite quickly compared to the heady days of BF2 and related mods (mods being the key, mods alloowed for expanding the community and extending longevity, but added negligible amounts to company coffers, thus the end of the modding era for the most part).

Any game that is described as "small maps" "fast-paced" and compared to CoD is not going to be my cup of tea. The gaming industry faces the same issue that most economic sectors now face, a tipping point of more old farts like me on the planet than young studs. If the industry keeps trying to shove CoD-style frenetic play on the market they will lose out on the fattest part of the curve. Me and my pile of money.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X