Dragon's Teeth Expansion: Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon's Teeth Expansion: Thoughts?

Just thought to start a thread about the new expansion and how everyone feels about it.
    Personally, I'm loving the infantry only (mostly) combat.

To me, the levels are well designed, especially the map Propaganda with the two totally separate areas (B and D across the train tracks) (A, C, and E on the spawn side)

Sunken Dragon is also well laid out, and by that I mean it is hard to trap a team onto two (or one) flags. Many times tonight my squad had to retake either D or E across the river via Little Bird, but it definitely turned the tide of the battle, as well as a nice rush onto flag C.

Pearl Market reminded me of Grand Bazzar from BF3, except this map actually works to create that super urban setting. Flag placements are well placed and there is great detail in each area. I think the Amtracs are a good vehicle in this map as well, because although it is extremely dangerous and armored, it will almost certainly die if it attempted to go into the buildings area, which keeps the internal urban settings a true infantry-only zone.

Lumpini Garden is the weakest in my opinion, although I had a good time, I believe there should have been more cover (less visibility/line of sight) in between flags A, B, C.
    Also I apologize to my teammates tonight for activating the Dam and wiping out our team when we owned charlie, I had no idea what flag it would hit :D

So, what are your impressions? Thoughts? Possible Tactics? Lets hear'em!
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Re: Dragon's Teeth Expansion: Thoughts?

I was going to start a thread quite similar to this, but it seems you have beat me to it.

Of the four maps, I'd say my choices are Propaganda, Pearl Market, Sunken Dragon, and Lumpini Garden in order from favorite to least favorite. I had some great rounds this evening running around with [MENTION=34399]di1lweed1212[/MENTION] in my squad, along with at different times, Lunn, Bear (and some other TG guys, I apologize for forgetting who specifically).

Propaganda is my favorite because there are really two distinct halves of the map, which may seem like a bad idea, but you can have two focused battles of squads going head to head. If one team is overloaded on one side of the map, jump over the train tracks (without getting hit, of course) and take the fight to the other side and get them on their back feet. I also quite like it because it is set in winter time, reminds me a lot of BF2142 which is one of my all time favorite games. Reminded me a bit of Fall of Berlin.

I will have to agree that there should be more cover on Lumpini Garden. I was playing a round yesterday in a squad with cwalc who was running a sniper kit and he kept saying over voIP how if you were on the raised tracks at Bravo flag you had a clean line of sight on the whole of the map. Now where the TG server has a limit of 3 snipers per team, it is not a huge problem. But with DMRs, snipers and MG campers, I could see this aspect if the map become very frustrating.

Also the chainlink game mode was pretty fun to play. Where it is linear you would think it would be boring gameplay, but the way the flags are set up, there is a lot of space on the maps (same maps as in conquest). So although the main fight is on one "strip" if things are not going well for your team, swing way out and flank or get behind the enemy.

Overall though, I would say that of the four expansions, this is probably my favorite, right along with China Rising. The Second Assault maps are fun, but not a personal choice of mine. And I pretty much hate all the Naval Assault maps for various reasons, but that is just me.
    |TG6|Flarionice
    Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

Keep the input coming! I'm with out my gaming rig and need to live vicariously through you all.
      sigpic

Comment

I'll take the other side and say I am not a fan of the new maps with 64 players. Seems more like domination vs. actual conquest/using tactics/flanking. Many flags and UCB spawns are way too close. For instance, on Propaganda the flags are very close to the edge of the map limiting entry points to the flag.
        Last edited by DrunkenSoul; 07-17-2014, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I haven't seen chain link yet, is that on the TG server?

Comment

We did a rotation (all 4 maps) when we were seeding earlier this afternoon
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I'm with DrunkenSoul, the first day we had about 12 people playing and it was good and tactical, then that night we had a full server of 64, it was a madhouse, way to fast and furious for this old fart.

I still like the maps, just think it's crazy with 64.
              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Also something I noticed is that (at least to me) the maps seem a lot more detailed. Not just the fact that there is more going on in the map with the more urban setting of all the buildings, but it seems that visually there are more small details on these maps.
                |TG6|Flarionice
                Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                  I'm with DrunkenSoul, the first day we had about 12 people playing and it was good and tactical, then that night we had a full server of 64, it was a madhouse, way to fast and furious for this old fart.

I still like the maps, just think it's crazy with 64.
                  I agree with you, I think 32 or 16 players would be sufficient

And yeah flar, I agree with you, especially in pearl market
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

With what I remember through my Vodka stained glasses I liked, except the one map that looked exactly the same no matter where you were on it. I want to ride the train, can that be done?

Comment

yes, and u can die on it too. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpZAHHb86v4

Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Personally I really like all the maps with the exception of Lumpy Garden, which doesn't seem that well thought out. A couple of the flags are quite fun to attack and defend, others not so much, especially one of the flags in the top left corner of the map which is basically on top of a UCB near enough.

Sunken Dragon is very interesting. I really like that map, lots of little zones and routes that I think people will start to use as we all become more familiar. With the level of detail and pathing on some of the maps I sort of disagree about them being small, they're all ok for size, what makes them a bit 'Tardis' like is the potential routes and number of enter-able structures. I think potentially at present we're probably going the most direct route from A to B at times, simply from lack of familiarity. As that improves over time I suspect the maps will open up a bit.

Pearl Market is one of those maps that can appear small at first or if you are moving quickly however having tried to take my time a bit on that map there are so many enter-able structures, so many routes etc that again I think you can get some really interesting gameplay going in time. I really liked the fact that people on the roofs didn't always have the best vantage point, you could move around at ground level safe from shooters at higher vantage points by using the buildings, windows, access points etc. I haven't tested destructibility on that map yet to see if you can C4 yourself some shortcuts, may not be possible but we'll see.

Propaganda reminds me of Red Orchestra and has a really nice colour scheme lol. The flag layout is a bit meh on first impression but I am suspending judgement until I have more time holding down each specific objective in turn, that way I can get a proper appreciation of the routes to and from the flag, vantage points and bottlenecks, what the flow is like etc.

Overall I like em and I'm looking forward to getting more time on them with some TG'rs so we can dig a little deeper.

Comment

I'll just say, my favorite set of maps in BF4 as a whole. For me it's these maps, the launch maps, China, 2nd, and then the lost at sea maps (which is how I feel playing them).

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

I really enjoy the maps. I agree they play differently based on player count, but a little bit of chaos at 64 players is fun with the right squad. You eventually find your niche. I think people get caught up in the attack frenzy instead of just digging in.

My only complaint on the design is the UCB relative proximity to some flags. Makes it very difficult to get out and also difficult to not spawn kill. The situation becomes a very fine line. I'm not saying it's impossible or unplayable, just completely different in terms of breaking out of the UCB compared to all other maps.
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I'm surprised I haven't seen a Riot Shield yet. It's hard to unlock (20 suppression assists is actually hard to get) but not THAT hard...

I should have mine tonight, only need 5 more suppression assists.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X