Recomending Another rule for the Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomending Another rule for the Server

I came to tacticalgamer quite by accident. One day I joined the server and the first thing I read was a rule that stated "you must join a squad", the squad leaders must lead rule did not yet exist. So I went and joined a squad led by Zhohar who immediatly told me to bring a engineering kit. I had been playing bf2142 for about a week and hated the engineering kit but followed his orders and proceeded to follow all his orders. I ended up having the best game of any bf I had had until until that date. Needless to say I was hooked and for the next couple of months until I had to stop, joined any TG lead squad I could. For a level of squad play I have not found on any other server.

So now I am back to BF4 and as a homage to all those great squad leaders before me I have decided to play squad leader to give all those new players like I used to be, a squad to go to for a TG lead squad experience.

It is here in squad leading that for the first time on our server I find things lacking. We all sit in TS in the main channel but the squad leaders dont switch to their respective teams for the match. I know I could say something on TS but I thought this was a better forum to get this discusion started.

So what I end up with squad leading is not knowing what to do. Last night while playing propaganda a close match while our team was bleeding I got into a discussion of what to do with my squad whether to push or hold. We were unable to make a decision as we could not comunicate with the other squads. Any thing we did was just praying and wishing the stars aligned on all the individual squad's decisions, no coordination or comunication at all, so unlike TG.

Therefore to improve the quality of comunication at squad lead level I think we should get a new rule that states

"All TG tagged squad leaders must be in Teams TS channel"

Personaly I think it will improve the experience for everyone if we also forced squads to comunicate with other squads, not just within the squad.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Re: Recomending Another rule for the Server

In BF3, Sir Knyghtmare wrote us a script that would put people into a TS squad channel. That was done because BF3 did not have working VOIP, but that's besdie the point.

I think it would be nice if we had a script to drop people into their team channel.

Comment

As bleeding stated TS was used more frequently in BF3 and early days of BF4 when VOIP was unstable. While it would be nice, it would be pretty difficult to get all squad leaders in the same channel especially as squads rotate SLs. When you bring up the map, you can see what flags teammates are attacking or defending with a semi-transparent line
      Last edited by DrunkenSoul; 07-29-2014, 05:29 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Even if we did have a script that moved squad leaders in TS, you have to realize that we have plenty of pubbies who are squad leaders, even good squad leaders, who use in-game voip and have never touched TS.

What we could use is a commander who will order squads to form together so we stop getting the 9 1-person squads, and boot those who do not listen to the commander. Then the commander can coordinate the squads like he is supposed to.

Lately, when I have been on, I've typing in the chat to the team what I am currently doing with the squad. Like, "Squad Alpha is holding Echo!" I do this in the hopes that someone will look up at this so there is no squad wasted on the same flag when they can be somewhere else, or for someone to respond and say that they are defending it so we can go somewhere else. Sadly, not alot of people pay attention to this, or some just don't care.

Originally posted by DrunkenSoul View Post
        When you bring up the map, you should be able to see what flags teammates are attack or defending with a semi-transparent line
        +1 to that! That would definitely help with squad coordination.
        Last edited by ScratchnSniff0; 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM. Reason: Fixed

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
        [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
        [support]

Comment

I feel like this shouldn't necessarily be a server rule. TS isn't required by TG (as far as I know) it's just strongly encouraged. There have been a few nights recently where I haven't gone onto TS.

Also, if this rule were to be brought in, what happens when there is a TG squad leader who isn't in TS? I don't you're going to want to kick a someone who may be a premium member and well known TG player just for that? Seems flawed to me.

Like Drunk mentioned, it would be nice though if you could see the orders of other squads to get an idea of what other people are doing with their squads so it's not magnet flag. I.e. Chinese team caps Charlie so every single person starts spawning there and not moving an inch off the flag.
          |TG6|Flarionice
          Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchnSniff0 View Post
            +1 to that! That would definitely help with squad coordination.
            It's in the game now, and it does help when people pay attention to it. Only SLs can see it though.

I was in Maquis' squad for the example he gave on Propaganda. The problem was that we had B/D and he wanted to go get one of the eastern flags since the enemy had all 3, a perfectly fine plan. As we fought at D, people would spawn there, but once we locked it down you could just watch a flood of blueberries running away from it. My thought while playing was that someone had to stay there because no one else seemed to want to and as soon as we left, we'd lose it.

It's tough because most people want to get in on the action, so as soon as a flag is captured and a little bit quiet, people want to leave for the next one. I keep my map open far more than the average player probably does and just watch teammates as they run around, mainly so I can do the opposite of the herd.

I don't have a solution. It's good when SLs coordinate in chat, I try to when I have a plan to hold a particular flag. SLs in TS worked great during the scrim, but I can't see it working during normal nights as people drop in and out and we only have 1 or 2 TG SLs on a team.

And besides, I like listening to and participating in a little friendly banter between teams on TS during a round.

Comment

Also remember that in the end you(as a SL) need to make the final decision, whether your squad mates agree with it or not. Dialogue is important, but taking too long over a decision could cost your team the game.

Comment

Originally posted by abendchain View Post
                It's in the game now, and it does help when people pay attention to it. Only SLs can see it though.
                [Scratchy tries to dislodge the foot from his own mouth]

I guess playing once a week for awhile, I have forgotten that little aspect!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
                [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
                [support]

Comment

Originally posted by abendchain View Post
                  Yes, it is in the game right now. I should have been more clear.

Comment

I think this is something Dice needs to implement on their own. Maybe suggest it on their forum, they do actually monitor it.

SL to SL chat is really important and would make a huge difference.

Comment

What may be a better solution would be some of you guys seeking inter squad coordination to make use of the role implemented into the game for this very problem, commander. Contrary to mass opinion the main job of the commander is not to use "powahs", but to coordinate squads so that their actions create synergy. A minor shortcoming is the difficulty of the squad leaders to grab the attention of the commander. There is a "requesting orders" Q command that is available, however it relies up on the commander having a bit of free attention to notice it. Perhaps getting the SLs together in a teamspeak channel with the CO would be beneficial?
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I agree with those statements above.. we cant make people be in TS. It is really easy to put into chat what your squad is doing, and it was common practice in previous versions of BF.

I will take my squad off a flag, if I see a squad is already holding it.. Often to find them run off as soon as mine moves out.

I SL a lot, but I have been avoiding TS lately because of all the ... well, for my own reasons. I often lead squads of players who I have never seen on the server, or are newer to the server. So we are often playing the 5th way, trying to take and defend two flags in close proximity.... and yes, you can see what other SLs are planning by the little blue lines from them to the flag they have orders attached to.
                        theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                        E Pluribus Unum
                        Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                        Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

I don't usually SL but when I do I usually have my squad attack one of the enemy's back flags and hold it the whole round, e.g. F on Golmund or A/E on floodzone, unless commander sends us somewhere else. Once we cap it we try to take any vehicles that spawn there and try to set up soflam/javelin team and mines. If we see another squad needs help at an adjacent flag I'll detach a vehicle or engies to go back them up. This way we're not worried about other squads plans (or lack thereof) and we're usually too busy fighting for that one lousy flag the whole time, drawing more heat on ourselves and hopefully allowing other squads to flank and cap other flags. It also frees me up to spend less time micro-managing the squad and just be a safe spawn and dish out the revives/medpacks.

I would be great to have CO and SL's all on one team's TS channel so order could be passed down like we do in Arma, but that would probably mean having more TG sprinkled around as SL's of pubby squads instead of ya'll running together in 2 squads and the rest of the team a bunch of 2-3 man squads just spawning wherever fate takes them.

On the other hand I do like the TS channel smack-talk between rounds but we could have both, like in BF3 it would dump everyone into the same channel between rounds.

Comment

Welcome back Maquis,

As has been noticed, with the improvements of in-game VOIP since launch, we recently trimmed down the channels as the individual squad channels became redundant and not used. Aside from scrims, which we can add channels as needed for events, there was a discussion on the use of Team-1 and Team-2 as an option for SL to SL comms. Even if only a few SL'ers are in TS, they could use the (team) channel to coordinate, call for aid, etc. real-time as opposed to the limited chat box.

As mentioned, there are some circumstances that present complications to the Team Channels, mainly server side... i.e. the auto-balance and team scrambler scripts. And ultimately more TG Commanders would be great for team structure and tactics, but...

Just because a rule is not in place, there's nothing preventing players in our TS from switching to the T1 and T2 channels to try SL to SL comms. After all, a "leader" leads by example... so try it out and let's see how it works. Of course, the SL's will have to pay attention and manually move to the appropriate channel if they are auto-switched via the server scrambler, but that occurs between rounds so hopefully not a big issue. An added bonus would be if the Commanders were in the team channels as well for reliable communication. As far as banter, I prefer using the "poke" feature on TS as it doesn't interfere with other players' concentration. A quick channel change between rounds for banter would work this way too, whereas in the automated BF3 structure you were often moved back to your channel before you could complete a sentence.

Either way, TS etiquette is appreciated by all.

P.S. Maquis, I don't recall Zhohar's squads ever being a democracy... :icon16:. Input yes, indecision - not so much.

:icon_frow
                            |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                            sigpic

Comment

I was in Maquis squad a few days ago, and I think that this sounds like a great idea. However, as others have said, it would be hard to put it in place as a "rule". Perhaps more of a guideline...
                              One problem I have noticed on the server is that the people with the TG tags tend to gravitate towards one team, and when this occurs the opposing team gets demolished. If all of those TG'ers could FURTHER coordinate... ;)

Knowing what the other squads is doing would cut down a lot of the directionless rush from flag to flag. Usually, when I am squad lead, I choose 2 flags and keep my guys moving back and forth between them defending/attacking as needed.
                              "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
                              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X