Experimenting with two maps - feedback requested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimenting with two maps - feedback requested

We have changed the following two maps to their Conquest Small versions in an effort to see if they play better than the large versions. You can consider this a trial period for now. The admin team want to hear what you think as you get a chance to play them.

Dragon Pass

Whats different
    - Layout
    - The Small version has the same in bounds play area but removes the two backflags. Armor count has also seen significant reduction.

Why
    - We wanted to try this version as we find on the large version that having so many flags in a linear line leads to undefended backflags and back and forth gameplay as they fall and are recaptured. We also think the armor reduction will improve the map - it is a bit overkill on the large size. Squadplay should improve considerably on the small version. This map has always had excellent terrain for infantry to move around. Now with less armor and a more concentrated gameplay area, squad movement toward and around flags will be key.

Silk Road

Whats different
    - Layout
    - The Small version moves the UCBs more north/south and also removes about half the armor.

Why
    - The large version has a major balance issue in that the Dunes side of the map is completely bare and impossible to defend as infantry. Contrast this with the other side of the map which has a very diverse heightmap where infantry can hold their own and bottle up armor. This leads to the dunes side of the map winning the vast majority of the time and often by big ticket counts as they can send the majority of their forces on the attack into enemy territory. We are hoping and reasonably confident that the small version will yield better balance given each side now has a dune side flag and non dune side flag close to their UCBs. We do have concerns though on whether pulling more players out of vehicles will lead to a lot of unfun open ground walking and lots of snipers/dmrs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Please keep on topic. No "we should change X map" or "can we remove Y map".
    |TG-12th|mantis

Re: Experimenting with two maps - feedback requested

Only played these new layouts once tonight.

Dragon Pass seemed a little more infantry focused, without getting rolled by hordes of armor. Spent alot of time on B for most of the round. And alot of that time was holding it with sporadic contact here and there. It was a bit of a nice change of pace. Potentially, A, B, and C could turn into a front line for US, spanning north to south. Hold those 3 and keep the enemy back and you'll win. C and D (or D and F on normal version) is always a bottleneck. D and A (or B and E on normal version) is a little tough because CN always had the high ground when holding D (or E) and assaulting it was a bit of a challenge. Plus you had to worry about armor coming down from the northeast (G flag) as well. And contact from across the river to the south. (E flag, or F on normal version).

Silk Road was a little less hectic than usual, with the new layout and less armor, but it was still a bit crazy. I never was a huge fan of the layout of that map to begin with, but I suppose the new layout eases the pain a bit. We were stopped up over by E and D for most of the round. I guess the pros would be, you don't have to worry about getting pinned on that southwest ridge between C and G on the normal version. Once they held that high ground, it was a grind to get up there or get past it. Unless you had air support. The back flags - E and D - are still a bit of a challenge when assaulting as US. In a way, the new layout makes C the center point for bleed. Both teams cap their home flags and who ever controls C, controls the bleed - providing their home flags are defended. At least in theory, it makes sense. In practice, it can be anybody's ball game at times.

Just my initial thoughts.
    |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

Played Dragon Pass last night and it was an improvement. I still sort of hate the map but it's not as bad as it used to.

Comment

This is great news . . as these two maps are easy for me to take a break from the server when they come up in the rotation. All for the reasons Mantis stated.. for me I could stomach Dragon, sometimes... Silk, nope!
        theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
        E Pluribus Unum
        Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
        Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Yeah I don't know if any tweaks can save Silk Road

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrogg View Post
            Yeah I don't know if any tweaks can save Silk Road
            ^^^I actually think that with more vehicles its better.

Also, Dragon's Pass seems be playing well in this mode. I like it.
            "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I"ve played Dragon Pass thrice with the new setup. I think it is an improvement.

Comment

Great feedback guys thank you and thank you to Mantis for his crafty tinkering, sterling stuff!

Comment

The new Silk Road is actually worse than the old one I think. It feels just as big except now instead of a million vehicles is a million dudes with DMRs or prone with bipod LMGs shooting at each other from 2 miles away.... it's silly.

Comment

I like the new silk road better. I'd rather face 12 guys with dmrs than two lavs and a little bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrogg View Post
                      The new Silk Road is actually worse than the old one I think. It feels just as big except now instead of a million vehicles is a million dudes with DMRs or prone with bipod LMGs shooting at each other from 2 miles away.... it's silly.
                      Personal Opinion: I'd agree. At least when there are tons of vehicles - most people are in those vehicles so there isn't much walking over open ground like there is on the small one. Plus there is issues with UCB exits getting camped.
                      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

The smaller silk road leads to UCB camping. Every time I spawned in a vehicle on US side I was popping active protect before I was even over the dune in front of the spawn that on the larger version is the A flag. Add to that that the smaller version lacks the Static AA so jets can fly by and launch guided missiles on any vehicles that spawn.

Dragon pass is better with less armor and less MAA.

Comment

Silk road is bad there is a spot north of B from the US side that is out of bounds for us and not for them and they can camp the dune flags all day long with snipers dmrs and mortars.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X