Gaming Headsets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Headsets

Hey, as some of you may know my last headset died (or near enough) so I plan on getting a new pair. I was wondering if any of you may have any suggestions on a headset that works well with the level of sound quality that BF4 has. My last set (Logitech 930) were great when they worked, however they were wireless, and I do not want to put myself through the hassle of another wireless set.

My ideal price range would be ~$60, but I am willing to go up to around a hundred.

Thanks
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Re: Gaming Headsets

I use Turtle Beach Ear Force X11's. I'm a cheap skate, so I picked em up gently used off eBay for like $30. I think the X11's are discontinued now, but I've always heard great things about Turtle Beach headsets. I know there's way better headsets out there, but I have no complaints about mine. Other than they're USB amplified. Plugging the USB end into the computer yielded a bunch of noise, so I got a USB wall wart (think a phone charger) to plug it into and that fixed it. It's got a mic switch on it and volume control. I guess you can use em with Xbox too - hence the "chat" knob and the extra cord that came with it. They're comfy and pretty solid. They sound pretty good. Super long cord though. It's like 16 feet long or so. But it comes with a velcro loop to wrap it up. And I sleeved the whole cord with Tech Flex braided sleeving for protection against abuse and twisting.
    |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

I've used SPEEDLINK Medusa NX 5.1 Gaming Headset for years, looks like Amazon has those in, though they are a bit hard to find at times. Can't go wrong, they are under $100 and reviews are great. It's true surround, though I've read reviews that most people can't tell the difference between simulated/real surround headsets. The model at Amazon is USB, though mine is mini-jack for each channel. Great sound, impressive bass, great for BF4 explosions.

Comment

I use these: Amazon.com: Plantronics GameCom 367 Closed-Ear Gaming Headset: Electronics

Best headphones I ever had. When its time to replace them, I will be sticking within the same family.

If you want to go up to the $100 range these are the ones I would like to upgrade to: Plantronics | RIG Gaming Headset

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

For years I used sub $100 headsets, then early this year I forked out close to $200 for the Sennheiser U320.

Get the best you can afford.
          sigpic

Comment

Logitech g930's. Despite what you may hear Logi treats their customers well.
            Told them 2 yrs and 11 months into my warranty that my headset was acting up.....shipped me a brand new set free of charge. So for the price of one I get a second one after 3 years of use. They did this with my old G7 mouse too. So, with great sound and comfort...and the 3 year refresh technique Logitech is hard to beat IMO.

Quality wireless headsets are life changing. I can even hang outside in the backyard and still talk on TS.

|

Comment

I also found wireless to be an amazing change in the way I used headsets.

I never have to worry about running it over with the chair. Get up, get a drink and still hear what's going on. Grab a smoke, sit outside and chat away.

Corsair 2500 here.
              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Portable.Cougar, have you ever experienced any occasional weirdness like signal drops/sound distorition etc. with your wireless headset? Only ask because I've generally shunned wireless peripherals due to a past bad experience with a logitech wireless mouse.

Comment

I would avoid Logitech. Their products widely vary in quality. I got a mouse and had the G930 from them, the G930 crapped out after less than a year and the mouse is tearing its own wire apart, so it cuts out randomly.

I paid 20$ for a Plantronic Gamecon 780. It's tough as nails and it's just a simple workhorse with 7.1 surround sound. I (accidentally) kicked, stepped on, dropped, and on one occasion, fell on them. Not a single problem has ever happened so far.

Comment

Originally posted by vectorline View Post
                    Portable.Cougar, have you ever experienced any occasional weirdness like signal drops/sound distorition etc. with your wireless headset? Only ask because I've generally shunned wireless peripherals due to a past bad experience with a logitech wireless mouse.

The only time it drops off is when I walk more than 50ft away. I really, really like it.
                    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by vectorline View Post
                      I've used SPEEDLINK Medusa NX 5.1 Gaming Headset for years, looks like Amazon has those in, though they are a bit hard to find at times. Can't go wrong, they are under $100 and reviews are great. It's true surround, though I've read reviews that most people can't tell the difference between simulated/real surround headsets. The model at Amazon is USB, though mine is mini-jack for each channel. Great sound, impressive bass, great for BF4 explosions.
                      This, this and THIS!! It took me a while to find someone with a set with the mini-jack plugs.. They dont even make a surround sound pair anymore... I asked them if they planed to make new ones in the future, no reply.

I am on my second pair of Medusa, because the (synthetic) leather on the earpieces was coming apart, especially on the piece that goes over the head... the sound quality was/is still decent on the old pair.. and I had dropped them numerous times, and superglue was starting to pile up on the right ear piece. :) . . .but the new pair sound much better... after years of loud BF booms.. movies and other youTube fodder, they were losing the bass.... I still suggest them to anyone who asks... and I have been asked why I can hear the enemy, where the gun fire is coming from, exactly which direction they are screaming "man down" from.. ask anyone who squads up with me. Great sound quality will improve your game play. When playing CoD, it is an incredible advantage, as you can hear enemy hiding in a bush, even if they turned just a few degrees.

Originally posted by Warlab View Post
                      Logitech g930's. Despite what you may hear Logi treats their customers well.
                      Told them 2 yrs and 11 months into my warranty that my headset was acting up.....shipped me a brand new set free of charge. So for the price of one I get a second one after 3 years of use. They did this with my old G7 mouse too. So, with great sound and comfort...and the 3 year refresh technique Logitech is hard to beat IMO.

Quality wireless headsets are life changing. I can even hang outside in the backyard and still talk on TS.
                      Although as said above, I dont use wireless headphones.. I am still using wireless Logitech G7 mice (have 2 of them), after getting them back in '06 and '07 .. after a few months of getting the first one, I was having problems getting one of the batteries to charge.. they sent me a new set, after they tried to get me to upgrade to a wired version. After getting the new one in the mail I realized that it was not the battery itself, it is the charger base. The spring in catch, does not push the one battery down to charge correctly.. I wedge a toothpick on top of the battery and they charge perfectly....... and yes, I still use both of them, one for the desktop, one for the laptop. I have never had any other problems with either of them(other than that charger problem, and both of the charger's springs wore out).

I strongly suggest Logitech as their support is great.
                      theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                      E Pluribus Unum
                      Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

+1 for wireless

I ran a Sennheiser HDR 130 for about 5 years. Sound was good, but the use of an analog signal introduced some noise. Recently upgraded to the HDR 180 and absolutely love them. They run on a digital signal so the sound is really clear. If you're looking for a good pair of wireless headphones, I'd recommend any of the Sennheiser's with a digital signal.

The other thing you guys might want to look at is over at modmic.com. You no longer need a good pair of headphones AND a good headset, just throw on a mic when you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
                          I would avoid Logitech. Their products widely vary in quality. I got a mouse and had the G930 from them, the G930 crapped out after less than a year and the mouse is tearing its own wire apart, so it cuts out randomly.

I paid 20$ for a Plantronic Gamecon 780. It's tough as nails and it's just a simple workhorse with 7.1 surround sound. I (accidentally) kicked, stepped on, dropped, and on one occasion, fell on them. Not a single problem has ever happened so far.
                          I've got a pair of these as well. While I don't use the surround sound very often (makes peoples voices soudn weird in TS, annoys me), they have good sound quality, and as axis said, very very tough. Have traveled in my laptop bag quite a few times
                          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for your input. All of these that I read the reviews about look like stellar headsets; all the reviews look great. Asking you guys actually kind of made it harder to pick, with so many apparently great headsets :P

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                            I use these: Amazon.com: Plantronics GameCom 367 Closed-Ear Gaming Headset: Electronics

Best headphones I ever had. When its time to replace them, I will be sticking within the same family.

If you want to go up to the $100 range these are the ones I would like to upgrade to: Plantronics | RIG Gaming Headset
                            In the end I would up going with the Plantronics GameCon's. They'll be here in about a week, and I'll let you guys know how they work.

I am a bit worried about the USB connection, and was wondering if any of you could elaborate on how well these work. I can't seem to find a 'USB wall wart' on google, is it just a small length of wire with a male and female ends?
                            "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by Pale Horseman View Post
                              I am a bit worried about the USB connection, and was wondering if any of you could elaborate on how well these work. I can't seem to find a 'USB wall wart' on google, is it just a small length of wire with a male and female ends?
                              It's basically like cell phone charger - one end has prongs to plug into your wall, and there's a USB slot on the other. Like this:

You can get one or something similar for a couple bucks at Radio Shack or some sort of electronics store. Or, if you have a Micro Center in your area, that's where I found mine. Or just use your phone charger, if you've got a smart phone. It's a common trick, I guess, after I did some googling when I got my headset and experienced noise and static when I plugged the USB into the computer.

I have the wall wart plugged into a small extension power cord. The USB cable on the headset and the wall wart won't reach the outlet on the wall, due to the location of my computer case and the outlet on my wall. That's the only reason why I did that.
                              |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X