Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Teamplay Initiative (From CTE Battlelog)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Teamplay Initiative (From CTE Battlelog)

Teamplay Initiative is starting up on CTE, thought it might be of interest to the community.

https://cte.battlelog.com/bf4/news/v...ay-initiative/

FINAL STAND RELEASE
    For this release we are focusing on a small set of initial tasks:

Gameplay objective scoring v1
    Make playing the objective more desirable
    Health & ammo pack re-balance
    Change cooldowns in combat and look at points given out through these gadgets
    Fix for Neutral/Friendly roadkills exploit & getting killed by own vehicle
    One solution for both these issues.
    Distance Spotting changes
    Make spotting more precise, not automatically spotting big groups of enemies at a distance.
    Footstep sound improvements
    Improve on footstep sounds being more audible in the game for enemies
    Random callout cleanup
    Move some of the combat chatter to team only (so your soldier don’t randomly give away your position)

These might not all look to be directly connected to teamplay or objective play – but they indirectly affect this kind of play in a negative way in our opinion.

FUTURE RELEASE – TASK LIST
    Our list of PROPOSED changes has been put together based on what we internally think would be the best places to start changing the way we play objectives in this game.

We will post more details about our high level thoughs in coming updates this initiative.

We are looking for your feedback on this list – and would like to know what your top items are, both based on this list and new items, post your thoughts in the Teamplay Initiative Forum.

This is our current list of items, note that this list is far from complete and bound to change several times during the initiatives lifespan:

Gameplay Objective Scoring v2
    Field Upgrades 2.0
    Squad Leader & Commander communication
    Intra Squad Leader communication
    Squad Leader selection
    Squad Respawns
    Commander UAV
    Teamplay Vehicles
    Objective play tutorials & Personal Objectives
    Kit usage/Summary on spawn screen
    UI & HUD Objective Clarity pass
    End of Round UI – Winning/Objetive team oriented update
    Your idea
    As stated looking for your ideas in this area – and would very much like your input on how you think we could promote objective and team play – please tell us your ideas in the forum!
    This feedback will be helping us prioritize our decisions, and your ideas might get realized during this initiative!
    Last edited by Squinty; 09-16-2014, 02:55 PM. Reason: formating

Re: The Teamplay Initiative (From CTE Battlelog)

Originally posted by Squinty View Post
    Move some of the combat chatter to team only (so your soldier don’t randomly give away your position)
    I hate this SO very much, I have never been a soldier on the front lines nor have I ever been a member of the armed forces, but I'm sure they train soldiers NOT to scream out during battle and give away their position. the fact that this happens in game is so very annoying. Giving away my squad's position because someone nearby dies makes me more angry than I have a right to, so glad this is being fixed. Of course this is an advantage I am also losing as I use sound as part of my situational-awareness all the time but I'm ok with giving it up if it also means it can't be used against me ever again.

I really wish they would fix the UCAV spawn times - they really are obscene if they didn't want people using it they should have just removed it from the game, right now it just creates bad team play mechanics and encourages more snipers, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalcassette View Post
      Of course this is an advantage I am also losing as I use sound as part of my situational-awareness all the time but I'm ok with giving it up if it also means it can't be used against me ever again.
      Yeah I feel the same way about it, I routinely use the languages being yelled to help determine if a flag is clear or not.

I'll be interested to see what they mean by 'Squad Leader selection', I much preferred the old way of squads being formed on purpose (and being named) and not the way it's currently where just joining the server may put you in a new squad as SL.

Comment

Who needs those fancy motion detectors or to clear buildings when you can just sling a grenade across the flag and listen for "Granata!". Not to mention your squads mates deaths always cause you to call out, even if he is on the other side of the map :D . Hopefully they really do tone those down massively or totally remove them. It is so silly to build killer soundscapes that can give semi simulated audio cues and then clutter it with random expletives.

Environmental gives would be excellent. Glass cracking underfoot, bushes rustling, or water sloshing and dripping. Maybe those are in the game but I couldn't tell you because all I hear is fark this and fark that.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

If I may state the obvious - this is definitely when TG needs to get involved in the CTE forum discussions. This game has a lot of "teamplay" issues and we should take this opportunity to highlight them. We certainly won't get everything we want but I would settle for just a few of these - pretty please!

- better visual indication of squad leaders orders
          - as SL don't remove my squads order when someone leaves the squad!
          - ability to name squads
          - ability to set orders independent of flags (attack a position, move here)
          - better commander to squad leader communications
          - proximity voip at minimum in vehicles (not gonna happen but one can dream)
          etc
          etc
          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Some sound cues should stay imo. "Grenade!" screams are an absolute must. If I was sitting in a room with a squad I would scream "grenade!" and I'd expect every sane person to do the same.
            Suppression screams are plain silly though. They work for me like-"yup,I'm still there,keep emptying that 200 bullet bad boy."

Still,I don't know,speaking in semi-realistic terms,I don't see how soldiers could work together during a heavy firefight without shouting. Yes,they have comms,but you can't hold one hand on the trigger,the other on the grip and open comms with your tongue,so the only viable option is to shout.

I think the best option would be to add some stealthy field upgrades or a gdget that would let you use hands-free communication. We're getting customized parachutes,so why not add masks?and hats!LOTS OF HATS!HAAAAAAAAAAATS!

EDIT:
            Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
            If I may state the obvious - this is definitely when TG needs to get involved in the CTE forum discussions. This game has a lot of "teamplay" issues and we should take this opportunity to highlight them. We certainly won't get everything we want but I would settle for just a few of these - pretty please!

- ability to name squads
            etc
            etc
            already ahead of you,started two threads the moment I read the news.

Would be great if we made some kind of group post though,representing TG view.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo View Post
              Some sound cues should stay imo. "Grenade!" screams are an absolute must. If I was sitting in a room with a squad I would scream "grenade!" and I'd expect every sane person to do the same.
              Suppression screams are plain silly though. They work for me like-"yup,I'm still there,keep emptying that 200 bullet bad boy."
              I guess that's my point. "GRENADE" is one thing "HERE'S SOME HEALTH FOR YOU BUD!" is another thing entirely. Why do I have to scream to everybody that i'm dropping ammo or health. Worse yet... as a player I don't hear my own character scream everything that the enemies might hear. This should be fixed :) and I'm glad it is going to be fixed.

Comment

But would you scream grenade if the enemy threw a grenade way past you and you were by yourself?
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I agree on everything but would love to replace the voice for the ammo and med drops with a baiting call, " KuKAW! KuKAW! Tooky! Tooky!" Just imagine being surrounded by the enemy and hearing that from all the enemy. LOL Ok I know, silly thought but made me laugh and had to share.

Comment

To be fair with grenades- the players soldier tossing it also cries out: "GRENADE OUT!".As to the meds and ammo drops,yeah,that's silly.

I have high hopes for the movement sound cues though and I also think that gunshots could be a little louder from afar. I hate it when I hear a silent tikka-tikka-tikka from a guy 30 meters away from me,just because he doesn't have a LMG.

Plus the single fire snaps. I HATE THOSE. Is it a sniper?DMR?slug? They all sound the same!

Comment

In Mantis list, - ability to set orders independent of flags (attack a position, move here) really stands out to me as an important missing SL feature (we had in BF2). That and the silly soldier chatter that gives away your position....I'm glad to see that is finally addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by vectorline View Post
                        In Mantis list, - ability to set orders independent of flags (attack a position, move here) really stands out to me as an important missing SL feature (we had in BF2)...
                        Exactly what I was going to say. I cannot believe that they had taken out that feature. Its nice to be able to put an attack marker on, say, an enemy sniper so that you are not just trying to describe where he is.
                        "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                          - ability to name squads
                          etc
                          etc
                          I second alot of these.

As for the list that EA/DICE has given: Hooray for addressing these issues, but boo for taking this long to address things that should've been in place from the beginning, IMO.

Yea, the callouts are a double edged sword. I, too, rely on them for pinpointing enemy positions. "Ah, I still hear Chinese/English/Russian behind this wall." Pop around the corner and, voila! There they are. But it is a little cheap and detrimental to your squad and team because the enemy can do the same thing.

SL & CO communication and Intra Squad Leader Communication: If both these are what I think they are, then yes! Perhaps they're shooting for SL to CO comms to be like they were in BF2 - separate key and VOIP channel for just SL to CO comms. As for Intra Squad Leader communication, that sounds pretty obvious to me - the ability to communicate with other SLs on the ground.

Squad Leader Selection: Picking the SL for the squad? That'd be great, if we have somebody who's not up to it and not have to leave and rejoin the squad a bunch of times to cycle somebody to the top.

Fix for Neutral/Friendly roadkills exploit & getting killed by own vehicle: Goodness, it's about time. Can't tell you how many times I've jumped out of a friendly chopper or boat, only to magically be killed and have that death count as a TK on my team mate's part. Silly.
                          |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

Create squads and name them is a must I think. Itīs beyond me that something thatīs so relevant to communities surrounding the game isnīt there.

And, award laying down smoke on the objective, please.
                            sigpic

Comment

Earlier this summer I had a long conversation with a game programer (BIOWARE) while I was out west on vacation. I asked why the failure to facilitate CO-SL comms, squad play (always too small) and teamplay. He suggested that it was intentional -- game makers do not want to enable elite players (such as TGers) to be able to crush newbies as a result of superiour in-game organizational structure (comms, squad size, team coordination and so on). Thus things that could facilitate advanced cooperation, squad play, command and control and communication are intentionally underdeveloped so as to promote a more 'level playing field' and ensure that new players (customers) are not discouraged by their encounter with superiour players (fans) who benefit from comms, communication, and order.

I failed to ask him what he thought about the obvious exception of Sony's Planetside 2. I do not think Planetside 2 is anything other than just that, an except to the general rule of game development -- the intentional minimization of advanced squad/team/commander communication and organization.

Of course, this was just one programmers opinion, but everything EA/Dice has done since BF2 seems to support the thesis above.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X