Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L85a2 Vs. M416. Statistics or Personal Choice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L85a2 Vs. M416. Statistics or Personal Choice?

One of the more prominent assault rifles that seems to be used in BF4 is the M416. The L85a2 is very comparable to the M416. Is there a statistical reason one is used over the other, or is it all in the preference of the players?
    I play mainly as assault and two of my top assault rifles are the L85a2 and the M416. I noticed on battlelog that they have very similar stats. They are as follows:

L85a2
    Damage: 30
    Accuracy: 35
    Hipfire: 55
    Range: 28
    Range of Fire: 750rpm

M416
    Damange: 30
    Accuracy: 50
    Hipfire: 50
    Range: 28
    Rate of Fire: 750rpm

It should also be noted that the muzzle velocity of the L85a2 is 640m/s and that of the M416 is 600m/s.

The main difference to be spotted is the accuracy. There is also a slight difference in the hipfire stat, but it is fairly small. The rate of fire is the same between the two.

Looking at the Symthic stats, the L85a2 has an advantage in ADS while moving as well as in all hipfire situations.

From Symthic, here are the spreads of the two side by side. Default barrel and no attachment was used for the sake of simplicity.

(Credits to Symthic.com for the image/most of the information)

The M416 definitely has a tighter spread, but more recoil to the right (which can easily be dealt with by a skilled player)

So after going through the technical stats, you could really argue for either of the two weapons with opinions, but according to you all, which is the better weapon to use? Obviously it depends on your play style, but in the case of generality, which would you choose? Is it worth going for the tighter spread/higher accuracy of the M416 or going with the higher ADS spread of the L85a2?

I've gotten used to running the L85a2 whenever I am playing as assault, but often times I consider the M416 and wonder if I should switch back to my old habits.

What do you say on the matter? Obviously I don't want this to turn into a thread bashing one weapon or the other. I'm looking for specific information about your choice and your reasoning behind it.
    |TG6|Flarionice
    Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Re: L85a2 Vs. M416. Statistics or Personal Choice?

The way I have seen it, nearly any (if not all) weapons can be used effectively in BF4. Its just a matter of learning to use it properly.

That said, I prefer the 416 inj longer range engagements and the L85A2 in CQC.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Despite the L85 being my Nation's stock AR I am a 416 guy all the way. For me and my playstyle at least this is hands down the best AR in the game, I've said it before.

Whilst the L85 is good, highly mobile AR, its just not very precise. The ACE 23 again is good but the 416 beats it on reload and for me at least, first round accuracy.

I often run the 416 in CQB on single shot to train on accuracy and shot placement and once you get in a rythmn with it you can drill headshots like a sewing machine. It feels tight when you fire it where some AR's feel loose, rattle'y, like the machining tolerances were too high and its falling apart.

The only AR that comes close to it for accuracy and range is the AR160. Its actually quite good fun to slap a heavy barrel and angled foregrip on the 416 and seeing just how far you can accurately shoot with it on single, it's surprising and good training. Even in a near stock config its very accurate, good at most things, bad at none and reloads swiftly.

It's my best all rounder and it looks and sounds cool, which is important!

Comment

That sounds like it could provide with some interesting but frustrating rounds, Wicks, running on sem-auto in CQB. And when in doubt, looks are always a plus.

Thanks for the input, guys. I may as well switch out back and forth over the course of a night and see which yields better results.
        |TG6|Flarionice

Comment

L85A2 was buffed in latest patch. Prior to the patch I believe the M416 was superior statistically. Going forward they are very comparable.

For me I enjoy the shorter reload speeds of the M416, M16A4, and SCAR-H and are therefore my most used AR's

Comment

the correct answer is the AR160. i'm kidding a bit, but give it a go. with an RDS(coyote preferably) it's fantastic. given a choice between the two rifles you are asking about, i would choose the L85A2. the m416's push to the right is a dealbreaker for me personally. though my opinion may be garbage considering how often i get killed with the m416.

Comment

In CQC I own with the AEK-971, not sure about either of the other two weapons but I'm about even at medium to long distance against most other assault weapons. Usually I only equip a holo scope and laser which means I try very hard to avoid engagements at those ranges to begin with. If I equip the 2x then I tend to do a bit better but it's a trade off on the CQC because I think I have a distinct advantage running the green lasers. I'll play them both tonight and tell you what I think.

Comment

Hemp I tried the AR-160 out for a couple rounds tonight. Definitely felt different than what I was used to.Felt accurate, but the slower ROF felt different to me.

I also went back and forth between the L85a2 and M416 and the M416 definitely feels tighter than the L85a2 when you burst fire it. With the L85a2 though, you do not have to deal with a right-ward kick.
                |TG6|Flarionice

Comment

For me the L85 pre patch was a short to medium gun only because of the lateral recoil, that side to side movement is less of an issue when you're center massing targets at close range. It is an issue at long range though as its less predictable and you'll find yourself bouncing either side of a small point target like a headshot.

A pull to one side is usually far easier to mitigate on the same, medium to long, target as its predictable. When firing a full auto burst you just set your first round target accordingly and either counter that defined recoil or let the gun walk onto the target/s.

As I understand it the latest patch may have reduced the side to side recoil on the L85 which, coupled with the removal of the false visual recoil, should make it more accurate at longer ranges.

On the AEK, agreed it is beast in CQB but hard work at longer ranges needing appropriation attachments to calm it down which have their own inherent downsides. Still nothing better for hacksaw'ng a clump of infantry even if the reload is slow.

Comment

I've never had too big a problem of dealing with equal side-to-side recoil on weapons. I find that when I fire in bursts the way I do at medium-long range, the weapon stays relatively in the center needing only a small correction and just rising due to the vertical recoil. It definitely makes it easier in close range though. Just open fire at center mass on someone and let the recoil slide up to the head and you can drop your enemy quite quickly without much adjustment left or right.
                    |TG6|Flarionice

Comment

Originally posted by Flario View Post
                      Hemp I tried the AR-160 out for a couple rounds tonight. Definitely felt different than what I was used to.Felt accurate, but the slower ROF felt different to me.

I also went back and forth between the L85a2 and M416 and the M416 definitely feels tighter than the L85a2 when you burst fire it. With the L85a2 though, you do not have to deal with a right-ward kick.
                      Originally posted by Flario View Post
                      I've never had too big a problem of dealing with equal side-to-side recoil on weapons. I find that when I fire in bursts the way I do at medium-long range, the weapon stays relatively in the center needing only a small correction and just rising due to the vertical recoil. It definitely makes it easier in close range though. Just open fire at center mass on someone and let the recoil slide up to the head and you can drop your enemy quite quickly without much adjustment left or right.
                      Thanks for humoring me and trying the AR160, I love that rifle for the exact reason you detailed in the second quote. And you are correct about the ROF, especially if you are used to the 800+ rpm bullet hoses. I personally would choose the L85a2 and try to keep engagements relatively short ranged. its on the opposite end of the assault rifle spectrum from the AR160, which is much more lethal at range than up close. or thats my experience anyway.

Comment

Which is what I am used to. I'm either using a 750rpm L85/M416 or an 830rpm SG553. If I use anything at 700rpm or lower it feels too slow to me. It's all a matter of re-adjusting, but that's how I've been playing for a long time with decent results, so there's no real need to change.
                        |TG6|Flarionice

Comment

Played with the 416 tonight, handled very nicely at medium range but I did get owned a few times at close range by an AEK-971 but it wasn't a face off, meaning he had me beat. So all and all I really liked the way the weapon handled and I only noticed the drift when I was emptying entire clips at people otherwise it wasn't noticeable. I'm used to tapping the trigger anyhow because the drift on the AEK is pretty bad. I also liked how fast the weapon loaded by comparison to the AEK, which has gotten me caught with my pants down on a number of occasions, meaning I was in the middle of loading when I get killed, I'd say that accounts for somewhere between 5-10% of my deaths. 'll play the L85 tomorrow night for a couple of hours and give you my impressions of that gun.

Comment

Spent some time with the L85 last night, did not like this weapon, rate of fire was very slow and I felt like I was having to empty half a clip into everyone I took shots at. I did not see how it fared in CQC nor do I recall what the reload time was like. I'll take another look at it today or tomorrow but my initial impressions are that the 416 is the better of the two weapons. Sometimes it can be difficult for me to assess a weapon because during peak hours my bandwidth stinks and I was having problems until after 12:30am my time.

Comment

Starting to love the L85...

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X