Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TG Server Rules Clarification (Commander Orders)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOP] TG Server Rules Clarification (Commander Orders)

Good evening,

As a strategist by nature, I would like clarification on a TG server rule about Commanders issuing orders to Squad Lead.

In previous BF titles, a team was able to mutiny the Commander in the event of poor tactical orders or non value added assignments. Due to the implementation of the Commander position in BF4, i am continually harassed by poor orders. For example: order given to take Charlie location for cruise missiles while all flags are red, my squad somehow breaks through and takes Charlie, commander then deploys cruise missile and wipes out my squad in TKs.

Now, i do not want to lump all Commanders into this small segment, there have been many great battles that were assisted by great leadership and support (supply crates, great intel call outs and general awesome VOIP communication.)

My question: will denying CO orders lead to banning?

Respectfully,

Lieutenant General Dr. Haunteo
    CLERIC Platoon
    BOPE Division
    AT&T Research and Development

Re: TG Server Rules Clarification (Commander Orders)

Creating a mutiny is still possible in BF4, it is just harder to find it and can only be done by squad leaders. There was a thread posted in the forums not too long ago which showed how to do it, but this also requires that the majority of squad leaders do not like the commander's orders. I would like it if it was more well-known or easier to find because I know what you mean when you either get order spam or "Guys, get this one flag so I can get a perk because that's definitely all that matters in a round of Battlefield is me getting something cool so I can do stuff"
    |TG6|Flarionice
    Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

To my limited knowledge, If the CO reported you to the admins, likely you would first be warned, then if there was another report perhaps you would be kicked. A ban seems very unlikely. Although the CO's who knew enough to report you in the first place would also be the ones giving orders that made some sense strategically.

In turn you can also feel free to inform the admin team the CO is spamming orders, or is of very poor quality. I often find it easier to get the admins to remove the CO via TS, instead of dealing with the built in kick.

Without a doubt trying to follow CO orders in the current setup is often challenging; the battlefield is such a fast changing thing compared to previous titles. You don't need to agree with an order to follow it but we sometimes lack the ability to know the validity of an order.

What hurts is the CO who spams random orders to earn points. There is no tactical planning going on whatsoever. One "By my command" assignment requires 100 followed orders so unfortunately what we see alot is an attempt to jump in and flood squads for this alone. I'd even had players tell me over VOIP to go along and it was the only reason they're CO. Great...

That said I always try to give the CO the benefit of the doubt:
      For example if my squad's defending E on siege on shanghai, engaged and under fire. An unknown commander joins in and quickly places an attack marker on A. I will try to communicate to the CO and see if I can establish VOIP. Relay the current situation and that my squad lacks the transportation to make it to A at the current time. Suggest a defend at E order. Aim to get a confirmation, yes I know/care we'll loose E. Yes this is an order, not just random spam. Once that's figured out things start to flow better, I'll accept the order and they understand you'll actually go where ordered and they'll think a little more before spamming.

We as a server community lack regular CO's that are aware of our rule-sets, so part of the blame falls on us for letting new players fill those slots as often as they do. Perhaps as BF4 ages we'll see more people willing to take that new challenge on; I often consider it, but find simply being a SL a handful. I suppose many people fall into this group. The upside, experienced SLs should make decent CO's and will know how to support teams in ways that makes sense at TG; I see that often from our regulars that do take the CO for a few rounds, Namebot, Acreo, Bunnyonabender for example.

Support those that try to CO effectively, communicate and follow orders, thank them and try to get them to return.

Comment

Originally posted by Squinty View Post
        To my limited knowledge, If the CO reported you to the admins, likely you would first be warned, then if there was another report perhaps you would be kicked. A ban seems very unlikely. Although the CO's who knew enough to report you in the first place would also be the ones giving orders that made some sense strategically.

In turn you can also feel free to inform the admin team the CO is spamming orders, or is of very poor quality. I often find it easier to get the admins to remove the CO via TS, instead of dealing with the built in kick.

Without a doubt trying to follow CO orders in the current setup is often challenging; the battlefield is such a fast changing thing compared to previous titles. You don't need to agree with an order to follow it but we sometimes lack the ability to know the validity of an order.

What hurts is the CO who spams random orders to earn points. There is no tactical planning going on whatsoever. One "By my command" assignment requires 100 followed orders so unfortunately what we see alot is an attempt to jump in and flood squads for this alone. I'd even had players tell me over VOIP to go along and it was the only reason they're CO. Great...

That said I always try to give the CO the benefit of the doubt:
        For example if my squad's defending E on siege on shanghai, engaged and under fire. An unknown commander joins in and quickly places an attack marker on A. I will try to communicate to the CO and see if I can establish VOIP. Relay the current situation and that my squad lacks the transportation to make it to A at the current time. Suggest a defend at E order. Aim to get a confirmation, yes I know/care we'll loose E. Yes this is an order, not just random spam. Once that's figured out things start to flow better, I'll accept the order and they understand you'll actually go where ordered and they'll think a little more before spamming.

We as a server community lack regular CO's that are aware of our rule-sets, so part of the blame falls on us for letting new players fill those slots as often as they do. Perhaps as BF4 ages we'll see more people willing to take that new challenge on; I often consider it, but find simply being a SL a handful. I suppose many people fall into this group. The upside, experienced SLs should make decent CO's and will know how to support teams in ways that makes sense at TG; I see that often from our regulars that do take the CO for a few rounds, Namebot, Acreo, Bunnyonabender for example.

Support those that try to CO effectively, communicate and follow orders, thank them and try to get them to return.
        ^^^ This.
        Great explanation Squinty. I've been in that boat before, where we get random CO's that wanna send every squad to a certain flag because there's a perk for them. It peeves me so much, as an SL, when I've got a CO constantly spamming orders at me. As an SL, I try to look at the big picture and look out for those under my leadership. If I've got a random CO spamming orders for me to go to a flag across the map, while my guys and gals are still tied up at E, C....etc.....I give the CO a heads up: "Hey, we're still tied up at *insert flag name*. We're encountering heavy resistance and cannot step off just yet. Stand by." Or a friendly "Hey, we've already got a squad or two pushing that flag......" or "Hey buddy, I only need one CO order. Please stop spamming them."

I realize that we get some boneheads from time to time in the CO seat. And it's frustrating. The best that you can do is to try to advise them if it's questionable and see where it goes. In my opinion - as an SL, you are responsible for the safety of the guys and gals under your command and responsible to see the big picture and plan accordingly to what is efficient and in regard to what the other SL's and team are doing.

Again, like I said, we get some boneheads that want to send 5 squads to one flag for the perk. In that case.....looking at the big picture.....I advise the CO interrogatively on the situation and move my guys somewhere else, if needed be. Sometimes we get some great CO's. Most of the time, those great CO's are TG guys or regulars that play here. I can't tell ya how many times I've been SL and have had Namebot in my ears, feeding me intel, keeping an eye out and aiding my shooters to smash and destroy. Same goes for Bunny, Acreo and others. It's a wonderful thing. Because folks like that understand how to provide CO support in the manner that makes sense. Sometimes, I gotta interject and advise the random CO on the situation if we've got somebody that's making some questionable decisions. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

My two cents....work with the CO the best that you can. If the CO is of poor quality and seems out for themselves.....report them and/or go to the approval system in game.
        |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

There isn't any official ruleset for COs to follow. There are some generally accepted guidelines. COs should be giving orders. With that is assumed they know how to work strategically with their given squads and resources.

With the concern over cruise missile only COs. You have two options if he can't be reasoned with: A) get your other SLs to majority vote down the CO, thus displacing him from the position or B) report him to an admin using "!admin reporting COMMANDER_NAME REASON_HE_SHOULD_BE_REMOVED".

With that said, the majority of COs as Squinty has pointed out tend to be hit-or-miss largely. If they are a regular, they are expected to be of decent-to-good quality. Otherwise, it is largely unknown unless he/she starts commanding.

We have in-game messages telling players to read our rules. Unforunately, those yellow messages seem to fall upon blind eyes most of the time. I try to get the rules across to players when I can and explain to them if they don't see the reasoning behind it (even though the @rules explains everything including reasons). I'll even make suggestions to the CO whether or not I'm a SL (especially if my team has a terrible CO).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've never commanded on BF4...I have to give it a try.

to the OP...others have said it in not as many words but some common sense goes a long way here. I would default to trying to follow orders from the get go however and giving the commander a chance. It just might be someone like me who has never commanded before.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed