DMR Limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMR Limit

So something needs to be done about the DMR, it is totally throwing the balance out of wack.
    Vote to limit them to 4?

Re: DMR Limit

what maps have caused this issue to come back to focus?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

most of the new final stand maps have been the culprits but that is spawning more and more people to just run around with them.

Comment

I will second that we need some sort of limit on DMRs. Tonight we were playing on Hangar 21 and if you watched the kill feed, 75% of the kills were DMRs or sniper rifles. In the right situations DMRs certainly have their purpose, I myself was using one for a bit tonight, but when every time you spawn all you can hear is the *hiss hiss hiss* of bad DMR fire around you, it gets old fast. Also where we already have the sniper rifle limit in place, that encourages people that are wanna-be snipers to pick up a DMR and start pew pewing away with it.
        |TG6|Flarionice
        Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

I agree with this. Maybe limiting it to 5 would be good. I wasn't able to play tonight as I went out, but most nights I do play, the DMR's are quite rampant. The new big open maps like Hangar 21 can pose an issue with the DMR's because of the amount of open space. I'm not a fan of limiting too much (limiting snipers is absolutely necessary in my opinion however), but with the DMR's on these new maps, it may be needed.
          pew pew

Comment

I think I'm in the minority here but I really don't have a problem with DMRs. IMO machine guns are the single most overpowered weapons in the game yet no one complains about those. I'll take an AWS or M416 over a DMR in most cases unless it's strictly a long-range engagement.

I think a lot of it is psychological and has to do with the ridiculous noise the DMR's make (see also my beloved frag round shotgun) and the fact that everyone and their mom seems to use them at times. There's no need to restrict them IMO. In fact, please bring your DMR if you're fighting me in close quarters!

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I definitely think we should limit the use of the PK rockets as they are spammed way too much.... Ooops.

My bad... wrong game.

;)

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                I definitely think we should limit the use of the PK rockets as they are spammed way too much.... Ooops.

My bad... wrong game.

;)
                Oh Pk rockets... You think you've found a safe hiding place then you explode a second later.

I will point out though, as annoying as the DMRs can be in a round, they are quite satisfying to use at the right ranges. Being able to drop someone with 2 quick shots at 30m is pretty enjoyable.
                |TG6|Flarionice
                Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

Well the AWS is extremely strong in close quarters, but that's why I mentioned possibly limiting DMR's just in these new maps because it's a lot of long-range engagements. Just an idea. I don't really get too bothered by them or other snipers for that matter since I'm using a sniper myself and can take them out usually without much trouble. I agree with Nardini too that I'd take an AWS in any other engagement as well; I've come to love that AWS when a sniper slot isn't available! Rarely I'll use a DMR if I go medic or engy because it's similar to a sniper rifle and I'm more comfortable with single shots.
                  pew pew

Comment

I was curious and looked at the last full round of hanger21 played on the TG server:
                    Battle Report - Battlelog / Battlefield 4
                    Looking at each players best weapon stat for the round: US team 9 DMR, 3 sniper rifle and two bows. RU team 9 DMR and 3 sniper rifles. So about 40% of the server using one of those weapons enough to score the highest with it. Likely this is the round Flario mentioned.

Although the previous hanger 21 did not see the same amount:
                    Battle Report - Battlelog / Battlefield 4
                    US: 6 DMR and two sniper rifles, RU: 3 DMR and two sniper rifles.

I suppose we should take a closer look at the gameplay on these maps, are the objectives being fought over by DMR users or are they conceding a flag only to shoot down onto it at the detriment of their ticket bleed.
                    These final stand maps are good maps for the DMR; with open ground and mid to long distances. From my understanding we limited sniper rifles because they were being used in a way that did not promote team and objective based play; I'm not sure DMR use is falling into the same space.

Comment

Good point Squinty. If they are being used to defend objectives, then they are being used to help the team. I was actually told to stop using a sniper rifle a few days ago because I was getting too many kills with it. I was defending Delta as my squad leader told me to and apparently I was just killing too many people so I was ordered to switch guns by the admin despite the fact I was defending objectives with it. This kind of shows the interesting phenomenon of playing by the rules but still getting screwed. If the DMR guys are playing by the rules (should the stats show it) then I would think they should be left alone. Either way, the more I think about it, DMR's really aren't a huge issue because they can't be used in the same detrimental way that a sniper rifle can. I guess of someone really wanted to, they may be able to, but I don't see it that often. I've actually encountered more problems with SRAW sniping than anything else.

These are the first real sniper-friendly maps I've seen and I personally really enjoy them because I can easily spot targets and call them out for my team as they assault a flag while I support from a short distance away. It works very well for my style of support play. Of course should they decide to head into the hangar, I switch to an AWS usually or even Recon with a carbine should they want a beacon.
                      pew pew

Comment

I don't mind the DMR's but like any of us I've cursed them at times. In my experience DMR guys are off the flag shooting from a distance and while it's a pain to hear the pew pew finding cover and taking the flag while they overwatch from outside the radius is a fine tactic with me.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                          I don't mind the DMR's but like any of us I've cursed them at times. In my experience DMR guys are off the flag shooting from a distance and while it's a pain to hear the pew pew finding cover and taking the flag while they overwatch from outside the radius is a fine tactic with me.
                          I agree with Grunt. We should just start using cover better to get close range. Little surprise attack ;)
                          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I'm still largely afk for which I can only apologize guys, I hope to be able to get on the server tomorrow night and catch up with everyone. However please note the Admin Team is fully aware of the issue with DMRs and has been since we switched the server to hardcore. We have an active thread in the Admin forums parallel to this one and we are following your input closely.

I'm on my phone so I need to be brief for once lol but I did want to address a few points.

[MENTION=99692]AnonBot[/MENTION], if you feel/think an Admin asked you to switch kits because you were killing too many peeps please come and talk to the Admin Team or me directly, that isn't right so we need to fix either your understanding of what happened (not saying you got it wrong), or address how we handled it as an Admin Team. No drama, just want to get everyone on the same page, a natural, in fact essential part of having a community server.

Secondly, basic rules are just that, a basic point of entry to the server, the minimum you have to comply with to be on the server without being warned/kicked etc. They aren't the standard we aspire to as individuals nor as a community. If DMT usage swells to be a problem for quality of gameplay, largely I suspect because of the HC damage model, then we have a duty to assess that so the standard of play on the server is maintained.

Don't get me wrong, I like DMRs and there is nothing wrong with certain maps facilitating different gear but this isn't about personal preference, mine or anybody else's. Its purely and simply about quality of gameplay and if that begins to be affected them we will look long and hard at things.

I hope you are all enjoying the new expansion and I look forward to getting back on the server and playing with you soon. Good discussion, keep it going, it really helps in formulating policy for OUR server.

Tip: If you need to dish out some payback on a pesky marksman, the 416 and AR160 are great long range assault rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                              Don't get me wrong, I like DMRs and there is nothing wrong with certain maps facilitating different gear but this isn't about personal preference, mine or anybody else's. Its purely and simply about quality of gameplay and if that begins to be affected them we will look long and hard at things.
                              This.

Agreed. This isn't about personal preference and shouldn't be. If it becomes a problem that isn't conducive to quality gameplay - moreso, our way of gameplay and rules - then, yea, maybe it should be addressed. That's how I feel about that.

Certain maps facilitate different gear, as Wicks said. I'm more likely to break out my SCAR-SV on a map like Giants of Karelia (sp?) or Oman - rather than something like Shanghai or Flood Zone. However, I have been known to use a DMR on Flood Zone because......wait for it.....

It's all relative. If I'm holding D flag from the highway/overpass, you bet I've got my SCAR-SV out. It's a ranged engagement. I can snap off rounds down the highway towards E and put a stop to those who are trying to bum rush our position, before they even get close. Or pick off folks from above who are trying to take the gas station. Same with Oman. I've been known to post up on the beach with a good line of sight down to the next flag and pick people off from range while others move up. Hangar (or at least the outside), Dragon Pass, any map that is open and alot of ground to cover is ideal for long range weapons. Or any situation where you have to provide overwatch from range. Lumphini Garden is another example. Post up on the platforms of A if you're holding that flag, pick off attackers trying rush from B. Same can be done with D flag.

But again, it's all relative. I'm not gonna bring a MK 11 if we're assaulting the center flags of Flood Zone. 8 times out of 10, I'll get cut down if I go toe to toe in a stairwell with somebody toting an AR or a carbine. So I run with an AR or carbine. Different situations call for different weapons. With the Final Stand maps, it just so happens that they're more suited for long range engagements with long range weapons.

You know what I can't stand about DMRs? The people who can't hit the broad side of a barn with them because they go ham on the trigger. Some of you have heard me mutter over VOIP "Spam that DMR, buddy" as they're taking pot shots at me. Fire discipline, kids.......you're never gonna hit anything by mashing the mouse button at 100mph.

One last thing - every problem has a solution. So you've got somebody posted up somewhere, cracking away and being a nuisance. Rather than complain about DMRs, figure out a way to root him out and put a stop to it. Be TACTICAL about it and adapt. LOCATE, CLOSE WITH, DESTROY THE ENEMY BY FIRE OR CLOSE COMBAT. Pop smoke, lay down suppressing fire, whatever you gotta do to keep him occupied while an element CLOSES WITH and DESTROYS him. Problem solved.

That's my two cents....
                              |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X