Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings From a Long Lost TG'er

Hey all!

Looking into getting back into some recreational gaming, and was wondering if BF4 was worth the buy. I have a few quick questions for this group.

Those that remember me know that I love squad leading/commanding and dominating the battlefield with awesome squads. Does BF4 follow in the footsteps of 2142 with good squad play?

Are there still plenty of people that play this game, or am I too late to buy it and get into the action?

Hopefully you all have some encouraging answers. I miss gaming with my awesome TG'ers.

Ciao for now!

-xXOZXx (Former TG-128th/13th)
    P.S. I would love to jump in with the pirates if they will take an old salt like me. ;) Be looking for an application from me soon.
    |TG-128| xXOZXx
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Gearing up and getting ready to go back to the middle east
    Proud Member of the United States Air Force

sigpic

Re: Greetings From a Long Lost TG'er

BF4 is close to 2142 in terms of squad play if you participate. The only thing that isn't in the game is the ability for the squad lead to speak directly to the commander on demand. The commander can pop into a squad and speak to the whole squad, but no channel for SL -> Commander

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Well, that kind of sucks! It was always so better than to sit in the map and harass my SL's over comms. :P
      |TG-128| xXOZXx
      Shaw AFB, SC

sigpic

Comment

Commander to SL is fine, you just can't initiate SL to commander on your own

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Cmon back. Server is filled to capacity most nights and it's the people playing more than the game features that matter. Bf4 has been loads of fun. Much better than BF3 in terms of teamwork and coordination.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Never played BF3 either. I would pretty much be jumping from SL'ing/CC'ing in BF2142 to doing the same in BF4. How bad of a learning curve do you think I would have getting used to the differences?
            |TG-128| xXOZXx
            Shaw AFB, SC

sigpic

Comment

That's essentially what I did. Honestly it's not all that different in terms of squad play. Obviously the games are different from each other, but there are many similarities. The TG spirit I grew up on is definitely still there.

One of the main differences (that I don't like) is that you cannot set specific places or points as orders, it has to be directed on a flag. For example on Camp Gibraltar, a defending squad would often mount up at the main wall to stop the buggy run so the SL would set the arrow order on the wall, telling his squad to stay at this point, not farther. You would have to have the order set on the flag behind the wall in BF4.

Commanding is a bit different from 2142 in that the commander is separate from the battlefield. You are not a soldier, you have your own dedicated commander slot/screen.

I would recommend jumping on board. I've definitely had loads of fun with it. I wish they would bring back 2142, but I don't think that will happen any time soon, so BF4 it is.
              |TG6|Flarionice
              Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

Originally posted by xXOZXx View Post
                Never played BF3 either. I would pretty much be jumping from SL'ing/CC'ing in BF2142 to doing the same in BF4. How bad of a learning curve do you think I would have getting used to the differences?
                Have you ever played ARMA. Now that is a learning curve. BF4...not so much.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Grunt, let's not go too fast. If you go BF series to PR, then ArmA isn't too scary.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

get your butt back in the game

Comment

Come join us in BF4! Still lots of us playing most nights. Lots of great squad work, voip use, laughs, and those secretive cat-and-mouse competitions. Meow! ([MENTION=102544]ElectricWatts[/MENTION] chime in!)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The more the merrier I always say.
                        pew pew

Comment

So you are stil alive.:D Good to see you oz. Been a very long time. Game is fine and can give you some nice feelings afterwards. Buy the full package and you won't be dissapointed. Probably won't see many old 2142 faces on, but the others are just as good.
                          Proud to have been an Irregular!

2142: Medic4Hire - BF4/Origin: MedicNL

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            Come join us in BF4! Still lots of us playing most nights. Lots of great squad work, voip use, laughs, and those secretive cat-and-mouse competitions. Meow! ([MENTION=102544]ElectricWatts[/MENTION] chime in!)
                            Cat-and-mouse competitions where, unfortunately, this kitty doesn't often win! But agreed, some good late night games recently! :D

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricWatts View Post
                              Cat-and-mouse competitions where, unfortunately, this kitty doesn't often win! But agreed, some good late night games recently! :D
                              ^This one puts up a fight though when the claws come out :) Cat-and-mouse indeed.
                              (me and Watts going paw-to-paw on Pearl Market)
                              |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X