Team Balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Balance

While I completely understand wanting to play together, the team balance on TG has gotten pretty bad on some nights. If there are 20 TG players on the server, 15 or more of them are likely to be on the same side. It makes for pretty unbalanced (400+ ticket win) gameplay and has a pretty negative impact for server regulars. I know that there are plenty of server regulars that are pretty good and are equivalent to any TG player, but teamwork makes a much more significant impact than individual play. It is especially lame when you see TG members or good regular players join while you're getting stomped like that and they immediately team switch to join the stacked side. The admins are very aggressive with enforcing rules, but they should also enforce fair gameplay or server population will suffer for it.

I guess I just expect a higher standard on this server as it has been good for a long time. Lately, it seems kind of hit or miss, though.

Re: Team Balance

I thought about this overnight and felt the need to clarify my point. This isn't about me personally having a poor game or two in a row. I have great games on losing teams just as often as I have bad games on winning ones. This is about fostering a healthy server environment to get people coming back to the server since I don't think any of us want to play anywhere else. The average pub player or even semi-regular is more likely to join the server and end up on the losing side because people that quit mid round are usually on the losing side. Then they'll hit TAB and see stacked teams, then either switch to the winning side and unbalance things until the auto-admin balances someone at random, or they'll quit.

I don't expect anyone to swap mid round to even things up. I guess I am just asking for two things.

1 - Before you join on a friend, check the server and see if the ticket counts are close. If they're not, and the person you'd be joining on is on the winning team, just join regularly and let fate decide which team you're on. If the friend you're joining is on the losing team, then by all means join them!

2 - If one team has had two or more lopsided wins in a row, use the scramble to see if it even things up since the regular end of round shuffle is a joke. Usually if people ask for a scramble, it happens. However, there have been nights where when the round ends there is a mass exodus from the losing side and a crop of people join and the next round is just as bad as the last.

Comment

Speaking as a community member, and not an admin here. There may be more that we as an admin team can do to help with this, but at some point it has to be on the regulars and the community to step up and correct some of these issues. There is always more that each of us can do to make the server a more welcoming and enjoyable environment. Whether it is leading a squad of non-TG, encouraging a new squad leader or educating guests on what were all about. Recognizing when the teams are unbalanced and making the conscious decision to switch over, simply because it will make for a better experience for both sides. There might be times when your having a blast in your all TG squad, racking up kills, and stomping the other side, but what about the guys on the other side? Hop over, lead a squad, change the way the round is going. You might end up losing, but I for one welcome the challenge, and I know people will appreciate the effort you put in to trying to make it more even and enjoyable for all.

If we can all recognize these areas that we can improve upon, and be willing to sacrifice a little each round, or each night, then we will see these issues begin to correct themselves.
      |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

I can't speak for everyone else, but I only click on the "join Game" button and almost never click on join a friend. As often with this case, the game will be put me on the losing side (and often the side with the fewest TG regulars).

To echo Corp's point: community members need to step up to the plate and help balance it out. If you see that most of the regulars are stack on one side, take it upon yourself and switch sides. In some cases, if your squad is willing, bring your squad over to the other side. If you need help, I'm sure an admin will be willing to help you switch sides if you are unable to due to balancing.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Also remember that there is an autobalance, but it only shuffles squads together. So say you have two squads with 10 TG guys on BlueFor kicking butt, and one squad with 5 TG guys on the losing OpFor side. The server balance isn't very smart and will sometimes move the OpFor TG squad to the other side, and all of a sudden you have 15 TG guys on the team that was winning in the first place. AFAIK the balance is pretty random on what squads it switches, so you'll have to wait until the next round for things to (hopefully) even out again. Usually it works fine but there are some nights where you'll see this, and the best remedy is to spread out a bit as Corp said!

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerzura View Post
            While I completely understand wanting to play together, the team balance on TG has gotten pretty bad on some nights. If there are 20 TG players on the server, 15 or more of them are likely to be on the same side. It makes for pretty unbalanced (400+ ticket win) gameplay and has a pretty negative impact for server regulars.
            With a lot of TG on one side a 400+ ticket loss is something the TG guys are used to now. You can't be mad at them.

Comment

Nard - Yeah, I think that is part of the issue. At best, the shuffle just flip flops one of the better squads and the imbalance is on the other side. I definitely enjoy the continuity of playing with the same squad for a few rounds but it just seems lately that there are some nights where there are like 5 rounds of getting just steamrolled before either a scramble happens or enough people have left from the winning side that it evens out. Lopsided wins can happen even with evenly matched teams, but there have been nights where several rounds in a row are close. I just think we should strive to make that more of the norm.

Acreo - I was giving you grief about you reconnecting on the winning side last night, but that was just joking :P The reason I got fed up and left for the night was after a revive, every time I aimed down sights on any gun my screen would go black except for my HUD and gun+gunsight. It was just late enough that I was done for the night. Didn't want to imply this was about last night in specific.

Comment

I have changed sides before due to this problem. I personally cannot stand an unbalanced game, so I prefer to play on the other side, struggle through the game and get better as a result. It can be hard because of the sheer quantity of talent on the other team, but it makes for more fun and makes me personally feel better if I do well. Sometimes, however, I do stay without realizing the ticket difference simply because I was one of the first on the server and the squad we have has stayed together since the beginning of the night. In that case, I do have a tendency to stay because of that. I'll be more of aware of this in the future.
                pew pew

Comment

You also have to remember last night I think that commander lost every single round he commanded on. And he had to swap between teams.
                  [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
                  [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

The unbalanced games are boring, I used to complain about it all the time but not so much anymore, probably because I join on friends more frequently. However, I still do on many occasions just join the server because I enjoy playing against the better players. The real trick is getting people to just join on server rather than switching teams. Lately I've had some pretty talkative non-TG squads and have really enjoyed running around with them. Sometimes you have to just start talking and get people to open up, then it gets interesting to play with them. I feel your pain Zerzura.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X