The Night maps announcment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Night maps announcment

So as my inaugural post, DICE announced not too long ago that they'd be introducing night maps to BF4, as some of you who played BF3 might remember, a few maps had one such function, albeit few. With this in mind I think it'll be neat to see night maps make a neat return to the series. This will add a newer dimension to BF4 that has been lacking since it's release. Of course some of you have regarded the issues with FLIR in a previous thread, so I want to hear from you guys on what you think this will mean for optics that would provide better visual acuity in the dark, also I'd like to hear how you think this will effect your behavior vs. the day counterpart of a map. With the addition of night it undoubtedly brings the challenge of altering your typical engagement ranges and movement habits. What do you think of adding some of these maps to the rotation, and with that in mind, playing both counterparts of a map sequentially? Would you rather randomize them or have a second round on the same map in a different, darker environment than previous? I for one like the coming night map, and if im correct this update will also mean the introduction of some of the classic BF2 maps that have been kicking around the CTE, Dragon Valley, anyone?

Re: The Night maps announcment

I don't have time to weigh in on this right now, but I wanted to say welcome to TG!

And I am so looking forward to new maps.
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

I would technically call hanger 21 a night map, although there is enough moon light to not have to rely on flashlights and FLIR for acquiring targets. I'm sure we'll work the night maps into the rotation and see how they play, personally I haven't done enough of the tests in CTE to know if/how tactics would change on the squad level. I did have some time on the Dragon Valley map in CTE and it seems very well put together and brings back memories of the original; I'm getting worn out on some of the current maps so anything new will be welcome.

Comment

I think that it all depends on the level of darkness present within the level. If it is similar to Hangar 21, it won't change the gameplay all that much. If it is however like the BF2 Special Forces night maps (Devil's Perch/Night Flight) or Liberation of Leipzig in 2142, different strategies will have to be used as these maps were quite dark and, provided someone was under some cover, they would go undetected. That is of course until one of their teammates dies and their character yells "MAN DOWN, LOOK OVER HERE IM HIDING" and blows out their cover. Unfortunately I think these maps will just be overrun with FLIR sights which will take away from the experience. If it was vital to rely on flashlights and hand flares, the gameplay would involve more strategy and be a lot more interesting to me. But of course, we shall have to wait and see how the maps are and how they pan out before making final judgments.
        |TG6|Flarionice
        Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

Yes soldiers are rather excitable about the well-being their fellow brethren; Many times have I dispatched an enemy soldier from 150 meters or so only to hear his friend in the next windowless room lament his death by screaming 'MAN DOWN!'

As for the night map idea, I think it'll be very interesting to see how they handle it. I never played BF2 at all so I am quite ignorant of the night gameplay in 'BF2: SF'. Flario's concerns certainly seem prudent however so I hope the developers can address those issues. I am also curious to see how the sniper scope glint works out in night maps.
          pew pew

Comment

Originally posted by AnonBot View Post
            I never played BF2 at all so I am quite ignorant of the night gameplay in 'BF2: SF'.

Here's a short video showing one of the darker maps from the special forces expansion. The toggle night vision on the players view played out differently than having to look down scope to see targets.

Comment

That looks pretty awesome. I hope it's similar in their new night maps!
              pew pew

Comment

Hmmm... What if there was a wicked thunderstorm during the night maps, heavy rain and lots of lightning strikes. That would help make flir more challenging maybe.

Comment

It is going to be a FLIR and NV fest. Which probably means people who run FLIRs 24/7 won't even notice the difference.

It would be fun to run this on password night with custom settings (so we turn off NV/FLIR/Thermal) had have to rely on flashlights and callouts

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenSoul View Post
                    It would be fun to run this on password night with custom settings (so we turn off NV/FLIR/Thermal) had have to rely on flashlights and callouts
                    That's what I'm thinking, this would be a headache during normal playtime but limiting NV equipment would make night mode interesting!

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I use IRNV scopes a lot. However those scopes negate any sneaky movement you could do in the dark. :( I say we should probably just not allow it for those password nights and only allow flashlights. Should make sneaking around possible and create some havoc and good-nature fun at the same time. :)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Need floodlights you can turn on and off everywhere like inside of A flag on Zavod.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                          Need floodlights you can turn on and off everywhere like inside of A flag on Zavod.
                          Maybe that's why Zavod has that generator in the northern end of the D flag complex?
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It is hooked up to the crushers during the day. But no reason you couldn't splice some lights in there.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              Hmmm... What if there was a wicked thunderstorm during the night maps, heavy rain and lots of lightning strikes. That would help make flir more challenging maybe.
                              Sounds like you are ready for some ARMA action !
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed