Battlefield World Premiere stream - WW1 is setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield World Premiere stream - WW1 is setting

Making a new thread for discussion on todays reveal so its not buried in the other thread - leaks are starting to occur.

Official stream for today's reveal is here - it is showing off the history of BF games until the newest title is revealed at 4PM ET/9PM BST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDqkEvKwI6M
    or
    https://www.twitch.tv/battlefield

Artwork leak from xbox store confirms WW1 setting

For those not grasping what are you seeing - you got:

- Zeppelin in the background
    - spiked trench club in left hand
    - some type of Mauser pistol from WW1 days

Title was rumored to be "Battlefield 1" - looks like that is true given this leak

http://i.imgur.com/AznrUzq.jpg

October 18th release date

https://i.imgur.com/SdJJrSX.jpg
    Last edited by FBmantis; 05-06-2016, 12:29 PM.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Re: Battlefield World Premiere stream - WW1 is setting

Dissapointing if true :(
    sigpic

Comment

Wow, are they really going for WWI? I had thought at most the game would be some kind of mash up, transitioning through previous time periods. This will be interesting...

Comment

I've never owned a COD game, but at the moment IW sounds more interesting than this. I will, of course, wait and see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Squinty View Post
          Wow, are they really going for WWI? I had thought at most the game would be some kind of mash up, transitioning through previous time periods. This will be interesting...
          That's what I thought as well. Could still happen partly I guess.
          I can't really see how a ww1 setting is going to work, unless they turn it in some sort of sci-fi, alternate universe thing. The weapons and tactics doesn't seem to appeal to a modern fps crowd.
          sigpic

Comment

We'll see what the reveal shows but I think this could work really well. I think its great that Dice are going outside the typical comfort zone of Modern and sci-fi. It probably takes some balls for EA to allow this to happen and it could pump up the Dice team creatively being able to work in such a different time period.

I'm sure the typical concern is how will the gameplay still feel like a BF game given most people think of WW1 as boring trench warfare. Note that we don't know yet for sure if this is alternate history or what year it will take place - there has been chatter about it taking place in 1920. World War I was not just trench warfare and certainly for this to be a BF game it won't be.

I'm imagining a battlefield where
            - gameplay might be a bit slower which is what we want given recent titles were too run and gun
            - given the time period hopefully the gameplay and the games appeal will be less about appealing to the COD ego-shooter crowd and more about classic combined arms BF gameplay. Think of what that will do with the playerbase we see on our server.
            - given the time period there shouldn't be 5 million attachments to unlock
            - no more lock on weapons
            - bi-planes!
            - zepellins! Titan like mode?
            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

All good points, Mantis. We'll see later, but there is a lot of technology that won't be available in the 20s that we are used to using in Battlefield and my concern is that they will make up some story to incorporate that anyway and make a mess of it :)
              sigpic

Comment

I had my hopes set on colonial era muzzle loaders and perks based on how well you stay in formation. The pictures give me a Wolfenstein: Old Blood multiplayer vibe. Exciting.

I imagine part of the reason they are not doing more futuristic stuff is their involvement in the Starwars franchise.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                  I imagine part of the reason they are not doing more futuristic stuff is their involvement in the Starwars franchise.
                  From an EA perspective Titanfall is probably an even bigger factor. They should be/hopefully are letting Titanfall go after the fast paced now futuristic CoD games and let BF keep moving back toward its roots so the two franchises don't seem too similar in gameplay.
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I hope it is a signal that they are returning to their roots for a more practically paced shooter with less ability to move entire squads across the map in 10 seconds and more squad coordination and movement earned through coordinated assaults.

Comment

WW1 had a lot of trench warfare in it. Are we getting a shovel with our kit?

Comment

I'm reminded of BC2 where the mission at the start of SP was WW2 based, only to fast forward into the main timeline. Several guns from that era carried over into the main game.

Could an WW1 intro be used as a juxtaposition to a futurist timeline to show how far warfare has come?
                        These companies have gotten better about how they use social media, so part of me feels they are misdirecting us with a battlefield 1 concept.
                        We should know soon enough...

Comment

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Looks amazing of course. But I don't like the WW1 setting :( But trains and horses could be fun I guess.
                            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like confirmed 64 players.
                              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...