Engineer: Best Practices (so far)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineer: Best Practices (so far)

For those of you who don't know me, engineer is what I do. If it flies, rolls on wheels, or has treads, I'm nearby somewhere with a repair tool. If there's a piece of armor giving my team trouble, I'll be first in line to try to take it out. I'm not sure why armor support and anti-vehicle tactics interest me so much; all I know is that I'm happiest with rockets, mines, and a blowtorch.

That having been said, here are a few things I've picked up so far in game.

Repairs
    • Some vehicles allow you to crawl underneath them to do repairs. I, for one, am not a fan of being shot mid-fix, so I try to do this whenever possible. Alternately, I keep moving while repairing.
    • The choppers I've been in all seem to have at least one seat in which you can sit and repair while you're in the air. It's usually F3 or F4 (or both).
    • If you find yourself in a chopper as the repair monkey, let your pilot know which side of the bird you're on. That way s/he can keep you a bit more protected--or set you up for a shot at an enemy asset below.

Anti-Vehicle Tactics
    I don't have many unlocks for the engi kit yet, but even the basic MBT LAW is very effective against most vehicles. It does seem to travel slowly, though, making shots on the run from other vehicles very tricky. I usually find it easier to fire from a stable ground position for a more assured hit. Cover most definitely helps. And remember that you leave a smoke trail, so firing from the same position more than once can increase your chances of discovery.

Points of curiosity
    • Does anyone know of a good breakdown of the weak points on the vehicles? The fewer rounds I have to put at an enemy tank, the better chance I have of surviving the encounter.
    • Has anyone played with the EOD bot yet? If so, how effective did you find it, and for what?
    • Mine placement is problematic, given that friendly fire equals unfriendly friendly mines. How do we get around that?

That's all I can think of so far, but I'd love to hear what everyone else has found! I'll update the thread when I come across new items.

Re: Engineer: Best Practices (so far)

If you have a recon with laser spotting, using a LAW works really well and allows you to target (I believe) BOTH armor and air. Otherwise, the LAW isn't usually the way to go as the RPG does more damage, the stinger and that next one are far better suited for air.

Stingers are fire and forget, so don't waste your time following it. You'll get a report if it hits. The next progression is NOT fire and forget, but does more damage if it hits. However, if you're shooting at something with flares, as soon as you see those flares, reload. Flares, as long as they are fired with enough time seem to be 100% effective.

Good tip on going under.

For laser spotting with the LAW, does anyone know if it makes it target the weakest part of the vehicle? My LAW shots SEEM to do more damage when spotted, but that could just be something else.

Comment

The LAW, Javelin, and SRAW are all capable of targeting PLD/SOFLAM laser locks. The RPG is high damage with significant drop over distance, the SMAW is slightly less damage than the RPG but travels on a flatter trajectory. (less drop)

I also find that the LAW will "jump" onto a target if it passes within a certain distance of a vehicle. This is an advantage in that you can fire it at low flying helicopters, and it will automatically jump onto the helo if it passes close enough to it. The downside is if you are firing over something like a static MG or there's a jeep along the flight path, the rocket may just say NOPE and jump onto something completely different than what you were aiming at.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

In my opinion, the IGLA is superior to the Stinger, in terms of ground to Air launcher. If your target flares, your projectile can still it hit if you reacquire the lock in time. Whereas the stinger is merely fire and forget, and has a higher miss rate, if the target flares. The only downside, which isn't too bad, is that you have to maintain the lock until the missile hits the target.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
          Does anyone know of a good breakdown of the weak points on the vehicles? The fewer rounds I have to put at an enemy tank, the better chance I have of surviving the encounter.
          Here is a video from the beta showing how the angle of the hit can decrease/increase the damage when using a tank, i am sure the same is true for infantry weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLancerMancer View Post
            I also find that the LAW will "jump" onto a target if it passes within a certain distance of a vehicle. This is an advantage in that you can fire it at low flying helicopters, and it will automatically jump onto the helo if it passes close enough to it. The downside is if you are firing over something like a static MG or there's a jeep along the flight path, the rocket may just say NOPE and jump onto something completely different than what you were aiming at.
            Why does it do that? Is it part of the weapon design, or does it just sort of happen as part of the game mechanics (or do you know)? Regardless, I'd still recommend doing your best to get a dead-on hit, if possible. Good to know that it might just hare off on its own! I hadn't noticed that.

Comment

The way the LAW works is it flies straight ahead, and if an enemy vehicle is in the vision of the missile, the missile will pop up and slam down onto the top for a 21 damage hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC95qNH3TA0

That video has a good breakdown of how the AT weapons work. Essentially they're on a sliding scale of damage versus skill. The RPG hits hardest, but has no guidance and a wicked drop. The MBT LAW hits anything you can fire it into the general direction of, but does low damage. The other AT weapons are somewhere in between.

I prefer the SRAW myself. Those heli kills.....so beautiful.

Comment

All of the rockets do about the same damage to the front armor of a tank as well, so if you know (somehow) that you're never going to get a side/rear hit, you might as well carry a LAW for the wicked-fast reload and ease of use. If you know where a tank is but cannot directly see it, you can fire the LAW close enough to the tank to trigger the built-in homing on the missile and secure hits on a target you cannot see.

In my opinion, the IGLA is superior to the Stinger, in terms of ground to Air launcher. If your target flares, your projectile can still it hit if you reacquire the lock in time. Whereas the stinger is merely fire and forget, and has a higher miss rate, if the target flares. The only downside, which isn't too bad, is that you have to maintain the lock until the missile hits the target.
                This really depends on the map, I feel. I usually agree, especially if you've got good sight lines. On Dawnbreaker, you're rarely going to be able to keep the IGLA lock because of the buildings. Another thing about the IGLA is that it can actually have two missiles in the air at the same time. For isntance, if a heli is near max range (450m for the IGLA, I think, compared to the Stinger's 350), flares after you fire, but then stays within the max range, you can reload, fire, and have both missiles hit when you relock the heli. Both AA missiles take 3 hits to kill, so that kind of alpha damage is pretty nice.

I think that recon-spotted AT rounds just do bonus damage. My suspicion is that the LAW can't hit anything but the top hitbox, which is why its damage is so anemic on the warboats. There's no top hitbox for it to get "bonus" top damage on, or something similar.

Mechanic is an amazing specialization when you unlock it. Faster weld/unweld can kill enemy vehicles very, very quickly if you can find one. Also, you can use SLAMs like C4. Stick them to enemy tanks and they'll arm/detonate a few seconds afterwards. If you're going to be mining, I think you should be using SLAMs for the increased ability to hide the mines since they're proximity-detonated instead of pressure.
                I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                  Also, you can use SLAMs like C4. Stick them to enemy tanks and they'll arm/detonate a few seconds afterwards. If you're going to be mining, I think you should be using SLAMs for the increased ability to hide the mines since they're proximity-detonated instead of pressure.
                  That sounds freaking awesome! I'm assuming they have the same friendly fire issue the mines do, though. That still leaves the problem of avoiding friendly fire on your own team's vehicles. Outside of communicating where you've mined, I have yet to come up with a good way around that; I think it's something we should all brainstorm a bit to avoid future issues once more people have mines/SLAMs unlocked. Does FF being on render them virtually unusable, or can we just be careful about how we deploy them?

Comment

Friendly AT Mines and SLAMs deployed as mines will appear on the minimap as blue stars, like C4 charges. If you're driving a vehicle and don't want to hit friendly mines, bring up your big map with M or check your minimap when approaching a chokepoint. Most of the friendly fire mine/SLAM incidents I have seen could have been avoided had the vehicle driver checked his minimap just once.

I don't have hard stats, but it feels like 1 AT Mine = 1.5 SLAMs, or not enough of a difference for the AT Mines damage to surpass the flexibility of the SLAMs, in my opinion. I also get the impression that SLAMs are more likely to deal mobility hits, but this may be a placebo.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Good to know! Sounds like friendly mines/SLAMs aren't too big an issue, after all. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Fyi. Slams stick to armor like c4.
                        When I get in tight I drop 2 on a tank then back off and let a rocket fly........ BOOM
                        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

You would think SLAMs would have some sort of friend/foe detector.

Comment

I've been putting out three SLAMs together for a more sustained hit. You put just one out and it just does some damage but don't stop the tank. Also keep in mind it should be placed where our friendlies can see it and avoid them. On main roads place them on just one side (left side) so it does not impede friendly tanks going past them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X