Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game stabiility tips v2 - I now crash once a night instead of five times per round

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game stabiility tips v2 - I now crash once a night instead of five times per round

My BF4 game used to crash every 5 minutes. Here's what I've done to fix it. It was the combination of these things that resolve the issue for me. I hope something here helps.

1. Roll back to nVidia drivers from June of this year 320.49: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-wi...ql-driver.html Side note: since I've rolled back the drivers, my machine has stopped locking up. Apparently nVidia's idea after major game release is "make it pretty" instead of "fix bugs; make it stable".
    2. Update Punkbuster specifically for BF4: http://www.evenbalance.com/?page=pbsetup.php
    3. Run Battlelog in a separate browser. I use Firefox primarily for web browsing, so I run BL in Chrome. Install no addons, browse no sites, do nothing but BF with it.
    4. Turn off all startup items except the essentials. Start -> run -> msconfig.exe. Select the startup tab, and unclick everything except Origin. This comes with caveats so let me explain.

My keyboard (G510) run some silly application that allows me to have things on the LCD. I turned it off completely, and the keyboard still works. However, my G35 headset won't play surround sound if the application isn't running, so I left that on. Obviously, Origin has to be running, and the Realtek sound manager, but beyond that, everything is off.

I now crash ... once? a night, if that. The game is extremely fun and very stable. I'm hearing a lot of people having stability issues so I thought I'd write down what worked for me.

Re: Game stabiility tips v2 - I now crash once a night instead of five times per roun

Thanks for the tips, Zhohar. It's been pretty disheartening playing for a little bit then crashing leaving my friends wondering why I left. I usually have to reboot my computer to get back into the battle. Reconnecting just don't work most of the time. System says "Error- Server not found!" Will roll back my NVidia driver to see if that helps today.

May consider moving to firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Tired of all the ads.

Saving the bottom ten friends slots for my ole friend Zhohar in case he wants to run and gun with Gunney. Working with my new shiny shotgun to see what works!

Comment

Re: Game stabiility tips v2 - I now crash once a night instead of five times per roun

I crash a lot less now too; but I haven't done squat other than take in the client patches and server patches. Crashes have almost all but disappeared.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Gunney I'm running Firefox. Saturday afternoon was particularly bad for me for crashes but I think it was server side. Everyone was crashing at once and having to reconnect again after the server came up. There was a headline on Battlelog talking about server crashes so that may have been related.

Sunday evening I played several hours with only one crash.

I like the idea of running a separate browser for battlelog. I'll give that a try but if things keep up as they did last evening I'm satisfied with the stability.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Turn off your hyper threading as I posted mistakenly in the main forum. I am up to 11 crash free rounds in a row now.

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
            Gunney I'm running Firefox. Saturday afternoon was particularly bad for me for crashes but I think it was server side. Everyone was crashing at once and having to reconnect again after the server came up. There was a headline on Battlelog talking about server crashes so that may have been related.

Sunday evening I played several hours with only one crash.

I like the idea of running a separate browser for battlelog. I'll give that a try but if things keep up as they did last evening I'm satisfied with the stability.
            FWIW; Two of the "crashes" on Saturday were actually forced server patches to correct issues and weren't really "crashes". Threw me for a loop because I was wondering why they were happening so close to a normal server restart.

Comment

Odd, I was crashing like a big dog this morning, decided to change my audio settings to Stereo and Headphones and didn't crash. Of course it may have been due to a server update that fix it. Was on our TG server.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                Odd, I was crashing like a big dog this morning, decided to change my audio settings to Stereo and Headphones and didn't crash. Of course it may have been due to a server update that fix it. Was on our TG server.
                I didn't mean to imply one way or another that Zhohar's suggestions won't fix problems, just commenting on the fact that there have been a number of changes applied to the clients as well as the server to address crashing issues. With that many things changing at once, it's often pretty difficult to determine what the actual fix really was.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                  With that many things changing at once, it's often pretty difficult to determine what the actual fix really was.
                  You and your fancy 'science'. pshaah.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                    May consider moving to firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Tired of all the ads.
                    Welcome to the 21st century, Gunney! Chrome is good, too.
                    |TG|Melee
                    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

If you need performace, consider bumping your terrain quality up to "ultra". Apparently, there's an issue with the setting and on low, you're actually turning it to "ultra". http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...4768159361567/ Anecdotally, I turned it to "medium" from low (since I misread the thread) and got lower graphics and enough performance increase that I considered hopping on a 64p server for the first time since beta.
                      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X