Decreasing Map Load Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decreasing Map Load Time

Hi guys. My computer seems to load maps absurdly slowly. At the start of the round it'll often take 5 minutes to get in. This is annoying when I'm a squad member, but it actively hurts the server when I'm a squad leader. That's in addition to the general irritation I feel from it, and it's combined with the fact that right now I'm crashing a bunch.

Anyway, at map load my CPU doesn't seem to be maxed (i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)), my RAM doesn't seem to be maxed (I have 8 GB of DDR3-1600). The game sits on a 1 TB 7200 RPM HD with 32M Cache. It's about a quarter full and recently has been defragged. I have a SSD, but unfortunately it's only really big enough to hold my OS and a few start up programs.

My graphics card is probably the weak link on my rig right now (I bought it planning on replacing it around now): a GeForce GTX 560 1GB, but it doesn't seem like that should be causing problems on load.

What might be causing this? Is there anything I can do to decrease load time?

Re: Decreasing Map Load Time

Originally posted by Zoraster View Post
    Hi guys. My computer seems to load maps absurdly slowly. At the start of the round it'll often take 5 minutes to get in. This is annoying when I'm a squad member, but it actively hurts the server when I'm a squad leader. That's in addition to the general irritation I feel from it, and it's combined with the fact that right now I'm crashing a bunch.

Anyway, at map load my CPU doesn't seem to be maxed (i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)), my RAM doesn't seem to be maxed (I have 8 GB of DDR3-1600). The game sits on a 1 TB 7200 RPM HD with 32M Cache. It's about a quarter full and recently has been defragged. I have a SSD, but unfortunately it's only really big enough to hold my OS and a few start up programs.

My graphics card is probably the weak link on my rig right now (I bought it planning on replacing it around now): a GeForce GTX 560 1GB, but it doesn't seem like that should be causing problems on load.

What might be causing this? Is there anything I can do to decrease load time?
    Loading speed is largely controlled by two major factors; disk speed and the speed of the memory on your GPU. CPU and RAM are not particularly important unless you've got tons of applications running in the background. If you want to load faster, pick up another SSD for games. Upgrading the video card might help a little, but I think your biggest ROI would be a new SSD.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

I was wondering why at the start of the round I could literally pick any vehicle. I thought it was due to people bowing to my awesomeness. Last night I realised when in TS it was simply because I loaded fast than most due to the SSD. Get one!

Comment

I am running BF4 off my SSD and it loads slow. Any ideas? Possibly my graphics card? Do I need a new one?

Amd 8120 3.10
          6Gig DDR3 RAM
          GTX 560ti 1Gig DDR5

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
            I am running BF4 off my SSD and it loads slow. Any ideas? Possibly my graphics card? Do I need a new one?

Amd 8120 3.10
            6Gig DDR3 RAM
            GTX 560ti 1Gig DDR5
            How old, how big, and how full is your SSD? The way SSDs work, they get faster and last longer the bigger they are. They also slow down as they get closer to full. Never fill your SSD past like 80% or you'll be back to HDD speeds.

I have the same problem and specs as Zoraster, and the answer is pretty much: buy an SSD. For cheap, you can get a 120GB one for ~$70 on newegg. Put nothing but whatever one game you want to load fast (maybe two) on the SSD and put everything else on your HDD. Probably the best budget loading time boost you can get, though a 120gb one will probably only last 3-5 years.
            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I've got a 60 gig SSD drive that holds just my BF4 game and my operating system is a standard HDD Sata II drive. I checked my load time today and see that my game load from Battlelog is 1 min and 32 secs.

Also got the GFX 560 video card that seems to hold up fairly well on medium settings. Frame rate usually between 50 and 60 fps.

Comment

How slow would slow be, Dredge?
                I used to have my BF4 install on my HDD because my SSD didn't have enough space left and with that I had maybe 2-4 min loading times depending on which map was on, now after reinstalling it on my SSD I get maybe 50-70 sec loading times.
                I'm rocking a GTX 550TI and an 80GB Intel SSD 320.

I love my SSD, best purchase ever. :row__685:
                sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
                [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Comment

I'm sitting around at or a little under 50% on my SSD. I did have it close to full at one point but went through and deleted all the crap I didn't use and never filled it up again. Ghadlan my load times are close to the 2-4 range.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

In that case I don't think there's a problem with your hardware mate, if I were you, I'd probably do a complete clean reinstall of my SSD since you've probably just accumulated a bunch of crap after installing/uninstalling, downloading etc (pretty much just by using your computer lol), that is slowing you down. If you haven't got the time (since it can be very time consuming) you could run some different AV such as Malwarebytes and Spybot - Search and destroy as well as cleaning out your SSD again, thouroughly. All this could take even longer though.
                    Last edited by ghadlan; 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM.
                    sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
                    [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Comment

I have an extra 120GB OCZ Vertex II that I don't need. (We got it for a PC I never built - it's still sealed in the box it arrived in.)

$50 + shipping :)

Or will trade for some DDR2 RAM.
                      Last edited by WhiskeySix; 11-05-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Always seems like I'm one of the first 3-5 to load in. Just joined a server and it was about 50 secs from battlelog to spawn screen.

Have Intel SSD about 3/5th full - GTX 670.
                        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Going to clean up my SSD and I'm putting in a new GTX 760. That should help out a bit too ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                            . Never fill your SSD past like 80% or you'll be back to HDD speeds.
                            Really! I never knew that!

Comment

Wiskey, I got two DDR2 memory cards I was gonna throw out. 4 gig total. They are the fastest in that category. You can have them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X