Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shots not registering

Hey all,

I'm having this occasional issue whereby shots don't seem to register on enemies at all. Typically, I would put it down to my ping (around 100) as I'm in the UK, but it happens on servers closer to me too (under 30ms). It's very similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu09XFqRYmE, which reveals that many others are having this problem.

Now, I don't recall having this problem in BF3.

I wondered if other have had this issue, and perhaps managed to fix it. I'd love to know. It is very frustrating.

CT

Re: Shots not registering

I turned off network smoothing (set to 0%) and that seems to have resolved it. There is still some rubber banding however.

Comment

Thanks for the update! I think I'm going to try tweaking my network smoothing; I've had similar problems.

Comment

In a perfect world the network smoothing is supposed to try and equalize the player latency like interpolation adjustment did in the past. Theoretically a 100 ping player will be in the same time and space as the 19 ping player but what looks good on paper does not always translate.

It just seems that when servers get full of people who are adjusted all over the place, some correctly and some not you get weird stuff like you mentioned. The network load varies and the best way I can describe it is the feeling that some days you feel right on top of time and space and some you are a step and a half behind. Hopefully there will be more overall improvement in future patches to keep all of us synced up at the same time.

Comment

My interpretation of network smoothing factor was that turning it up makes player character movements smoother but does not represent where the game is actually placing the character. Turning it off on the other hand will give you the best representation of where the game says the character is.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
            My interpretation of network smoothing factor was that turning it up makes player character movements smoother but does not represent where the game is actually placing the character. Turning it off on the other hand will give you the best representation of where the game says the character is.
            Correct. The unfortunate side-effect is by having it set to 0%, you get rubber-banding issues.

I have it set to the default and have only had minimal problems, but I'm sympathetic to the issue. OP (Coiled), try setting it to about 10% so you are still smoothing somewhat and see if that doesn't help with both problems -- the rubber-banding and the poor hit registry.

Comment

I spent two days trying every Network Smoothing setting to find what worked for me. I have to set it at 80% to even make the game playable on TG, but this means I get killed constantly in impossible ways, like sniped through entire buildings, shot by people who have not even come around a corner on my screen, etc. Most famously one time I came across that EMALE fella lying on the ground prone and shooting. I sneaked up behind him and put a full clip of bullet into his backside, but still I still fell over dead as he somehow killed me while he had 1hp. On my screen he was still just lying there, apparently felling me with a fart most epic. After the next client patch I might try putting it down again because it sure doesn't make for the most enjoyable experience.

Comment

Originally posted by LordFuzzywig View Post
                OP (Coiled), try setting it to about 10% so you are still smoothing somewhat and see if that doesn't help with both problems -- the rubber-banding and the poor hit registry.
                Even 10% seems to be problematic. Movements of soldiers are smoother, but shooting them does mostly nothing. I've gone through entire stab animations only to be shot (not counter knifed) by the person I thought I was stabbing.

Comment

Originally posted by CoiledTortoise View Post
                  Even 10% seems to be problematic. Movements of soldiers are smoother, but shooting them does mostly nothing. I've gone through entire stab animations only to be shot (not counter knifed) by the person I thought I was stabbing.
                  Have had this too. I can't say I have an explanation. The hit registry and animation syncs are definitely a problem that I wish I had an answer for. I've tried Googling all over but with no luck. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. :(

Comment

I haven't had issues with this and my smoothing is set to zero.

For those getting shot behind cover, what's your ping and what type of connection do you have?

(My ping to TG is usually in the 25-30ms range and I have xfinity 50/30)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                      I haven't had issues with this and my smoothing is set to zero.

For those getting shot behind cover, what's your ping and what type of connection do you have?

(My ping to TG is usually in the 25-30ms range and I have xfinity 50/30)
                      My ping is about 100ms.

I've since set it to 0% and I'm getting more accurate hit detection, although if the target is running perpendicular to me, the rubber banding means it's pretty much dumb luck if I hit them at all. I still lose most 1-on-1s (it could be because I'm rubbish). It's prompted me to adapt: I've had to start playing more support roles, using the PLD and taking a back seat to gun-fights to avoid becoming a liability to the squad!

Comment

Originally posted by CohibaX View Post
                        . Most famously one time I came across that EMALE fella lying on the ground prone and shooting. I sneaked up behind him and put a full clip of bullet into his backside, but still I still fell over dead as he somehow killed me while he had 1hp. On my screen he was still just lying there, apparently felling me with a fart most epic
                        It's all the Maple syrup and Beaver he's been eating. Truly a Canadian problem ;-)
                        sigpic

Comment

I had massive rubber banding issues with BF4, and with Project Reality for BF2 I had an issue where I would lose server connection after several minutes constantly. I tried everything over a period of several weeks to fix it. Reinstalls, drivers, routers, ports, proxies, firewalls, anti viruses, punk buster reinstalls, speed upgrade to 50mbps, and tons of other stuff. None of it worked.

I found a thread that was over 30 pages long with hundreds of other people with same problem, their conclusion, that it was the modem. All of them had Arris modems, and for some reason it didn't play nice with the battlefield games.

I bought a nice Motorola modem yesterday, I logged in bf2 project reality, and was never kicked and had lowest ping in server. Same for bf4, logged in, super low ping, and no rubber banding. It was very nice to finally be able to play.

Not sure if the people here who are having problems have an arris modem, but I felt this was worth mentioning since I never would of thought of this with dozens of hours put into trying to fix it, and finding a random Internet forum through google that mentioned that it was the modem.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X