CPU bottleneck?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU bottleneck?

I have an i5-750 (four years old) that appears to be maxed out on all four cores when playing BF4. Is this normal? Is my performance suffering for it?

I'm running decent frame rates (30s) on a 6950, but thinking about upgrading to a 7950 or something equivalent once I can get a good one for ~$200.

Also, I'd prefer to put money towards a larger monitor (20" -> 27"), but if a new mobo/CPU would be a noticeable improvement then that will be the first step.
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: CPU bottleneck?

I have an i5-750 OC'd up to 3.6GHz, paired up with a GTX670. I'd say the overclock is the only thing letting me run this game well, I run around 60 fps even in combat.

If you want to save your money I'd look into OC'ing your CPU and see where that puts you.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I second Reaperassault's suggestion. I had an i5-750 OC to 3.6 with a GTX670 and it ran everything on high with nice frames. It was still maxed during the beta but I have not checked since all of the patches. It is worth a try to see if you can wait for further upgrades.

I did a guts upgrade with a Haswell chip and new mobo and the game still pulls 65-85% utilization on that chip. I passed my parts on to my son to upgrade him for BF4 and we did a clean installation with the i-5 750 OC to 3.6 and he saved his money and got a 7950. Again, the game runs smooth on all high settings at 60. If you have the CPU cooler cooler that will allow the OC you should try that first.

Comment

Melee I run an I5 &50 oc'd to 3.8+ and a GTX680sc and I get 55-90 on a mix of Ultra and high @ 1920 by 1200. BF4 does hit the CPU hard, perhaps too hard in my opinion (optimisation) but that chip is a gaming superstar, I actually chose it over the I7's available at the time as it basically beat them in every game metric I could find when O/C'd. I would definitely pick up a cooler, doesn't need to be water and give an overclock a go. I am keeping mine for a while till I can decide which CPU I really want, I get really good performance in the games I play including BF4 and Arma 3 (another CPU punisher).

One question about your graphics settings, are you running any form of post process anti aliasing in the BF4 graphics settings? If so, turn it off. If you are running MSAA, turn it off. You should see a pretty big boost from disabling those two settings as they are absolute system killers with marginal gains.

Comment

I have an AMD bulldozer (8 core) and still hit close to 80-90 CPU usage. So it's not just you lol. Have tried everything. In afraid one of these days BF4 will reduce my build into a pile of melted plastic.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I have the Corsair H50 water cooler. So I'll read up on OCing and give it a try, as well as tweaking the video settings.
            |TG|Melee

Comment

For the video settings check out this video by xfactor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-c...e_gdata_player I now use a similar setup and the game doesn't dip below 60fps at all. I also unparked my cores, it has made a difference as well.

Edit:spelling
              Last edited by hil3illy; 11-24-2013, 05:07 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                I have the Corsair H50 water cooler. So I'll read up on OCing and give it a try, as well as tweaking the video settings.
                That is what I had on the i5-750. Never had a problem with heat. Most mobo manufacturers have either OC software utility or you can to to their forums to see what recipes others used to OC to a particular speed.

Comment

Originally posted by hil3illy View Post
                  For the video settings check out this video by xfactor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-c...e_gdata_player I now use a solar setup and the game doesn't dip below 60fps at all. I also unparked my cores, it has made a difference as well.
                  Ok, I did everything in these videos. And the difference is night and day. It actually improved my game so much, it improved my ability to play lol. No more bouncing around enemies, no more getting killed behind cover or "just missing" that guy. Since I have done these fixes I have had 3 rounds in a row of 20/10(ish). Give these a try. DO EEEET!

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I recently purchased a 7970 for BF4. I found it odd that I was still only getting a variable 40-50 FPS. It didn't look as though the 6 cores on my 980X where maxed out, but I guess they were. I went ahead and turned off HT and OC'd the CPU to 3.9GHz (with a 1.5GHz SDRAM) and now I am consistently in the 70s for FPS. Now I need to add some cooling to my North Bridge as my ASUS software is telling me that it is borderline at 66C. My mobo came with a fan attachment specifically for the NB, but I never installed it because the NB never got hot. They must have included the cooling option with OC'ing in mind.

Comment

Interesting test at http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...nce-analysis/1
                      This shows that the game is pretty much graphics-bound and that CPU and RAM speedups do not offer a lot of bang for the back over the baseline.

Comment

Just be careful with unparking as it can generate a lot of heat and may cause issues. Other than that, I hope it helps!

Comment

Water cooler for the win! I haven't noticed any MAJOR increases in temps. It went up a little but barely enough to concern me. We are talking a few degrees so I would say if you have a good cooking system unpark and never look back!

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                            Also, I'd prefer to put money towards a larger monitor (20" -> 27"), but if a new mobo/CPU would be a noticeable improvement then that will be the first step.
                            I upgraded to a Korean 2550x1440 27" IPS panel (actually 3 of them - not on one computer :-). I can totally recommend these for the resolution and the quality. They are great. At ~$350 shipped from Korea, or ~$400 from the US with more connectors (not just dual-link DVI) they're unbeatable.

I then upgraded my 7850 to a 7970. I am still experimenting with settings, and sometimes I get 60FPS and sometimes it is stuck at 30FPS. Frustrating.

Comment

Got a link?
                              |TG|Melee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse