• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual SSD's to purchase

Damonte is in the market for dual SSDs:
    • OS
    • Games

He already has two spinning drives for raw storage.

Damonte has narrowed down to these three:

Any thoughts or feedback?
    Last edited by Damonte; 12-09-2013, 02:09 PM.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Re: Dual SSD's to purchase

The only one I haven't heard of is the Crucial, so I can't say much about it. The Intel and the Samsung are both good. I have never seen or heard any problems from the ones I have installed.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

All good drives. Consider the OCZ Vector series. I have one, a 256 I think and it quickly replaced the Intel I had as my main OS and primary game drive. As I say though, all good drives.

Comment

I'm not touching anything OCZ makes.

SSD Vendor OCZ Files For Bankruptcy
        http://www.networkcomputing.com/stor...ptcy/240164384

OCZ Says Toshiba to Buy Assets for $35 Million (million!!!)
        http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...or-35-million/

If you look at Newegg's Green Monday sale, a good 20% of the cheapest items are refurbished OCZ products Newegg is trying to get rid of.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Grab two of the Sammies. I got two of the Pros and have never had a hitch with them.

Comment

I wouldn’t hesitate getting any that you have listed. My current SSD's are Intel and have given years of fine service. Of the ones you listed Crucial is the only one offering a free adapter you will probably need for a 3.5 bay. That along with lowest price means I’d probably get that one.

Comment

I ended up not purchasing any of the listed devices, but instead went for the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB.

$214 from Newegg, free two-day shipping courtesy of a complimentary ShopRunner account (thanks to AMEX) and 10% off for using MasterPass (Mastercard online wallet).

$193.49 shipped two day. Another $7.99 for a Silverstone 2.5" to 3.5" adapter from Amazon Prime, also shipped two-day.

Like the Intel 530, the Samsung 840 Pro has a five year warranty and better performance than any of the three I originally listed.

Comment

I have the Samsung EVO in the 120GB version and it's worked very well.

Question: are you going to keep a HDD hooked up? Because you don't need two 250GB SSDs if you want one for OS one for games. The OS one is probably fine on one a quarter the size.

The biggest annoying thing to me is that windows keeps wanting to put everything on my C drive even though I want basically nothing on that except my OS.

Comment

This first SSD will house OS + Games until I can scratch up a second SSD. I'll have a 500GB platter drive for all my other stuff as well.

Comment

I have Crucial M4 SSDs running in two PCs. The older one is two years old. Both have run without as much as a hiccup.

Comment

Out of curiosity...

From a pure performance point of view, is there much better than the Samsung 840 Pro?

Comment

No, not "much". Here is a chart from Tom's that puts the samsungs at the top. It matches the benchmarks I have looked over.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rk,3269-6.html

The best looking deals I have seen recently were on the Toshiba Q series.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

With the exception of OCZ, Stick your hand in a pile of SSD's pull any out and you're good to go. It is now getting down to personal preference and name recognition. I have four different brands in my computer and they all work just fine, each one bought on sale at Newegg.

Comment

I installed a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in late summer and haven't had any problems. Good reviews, and so far, great performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147193
                            |TG-6th|FYAH29
                            "So Far, So Good................So What"

Comment

[MENTION=14281]FYAH29[/MENTION]

That's the exact model I purchased.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X