Game Crash Upon Start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Crash Upon Start

In the past few days BF4 would occasionally crash a few minutes into the game. I assumed it was an issue of CPU overheating and started to watch the temps, but this was not a problem. Temps are fine.

Now the game crashes immediately upon initial load/launch.

Perhaps related (or not) Firefox will not resolve two sites (Facebook, my Strangelove.com) -- but all other sites are fine and ALL are fine in Chrome. I may have to migrate completely to Chrome.

I tried launching BF4 from within Chrome but the same insta-crash occurs.

Any hints/leads?

Meanwhile, its back to Plants vs Zombies for me . . .
    sigpic

Re: Game Crash Upon Start

I was crashing after the map was loaded. My problem was fixed by deleting the BF4 file in my documents.
    If you delete the folder your settings will be reset. So you can try it first by moving your BF4 folder somewhere temporally and start the game. If it still crashes then you can move the folder back and it has your original settings.

Some other solutions here: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...70123861345/1/
    sigpic

Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
    "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Doh,

I should have waited. Just deleted the whole game and am now re-downloading the 26gig package (at 20Mpbs). Will report back after the new install.

BTW, average cost to the supplier of a gigabyte in Canada is 0.07 cents. What ISPs charge per gig is best described as gouging.
      sigpic

Comment

Well, reinstall did not fix the issue, nor did deleting the BF settings folder in My Docs.

The game still crash my entire computer (warm reboot occurs) a few moments after the game loads or as the game is loading. Seems to mostly occur within 60 secods or so just as the game is fully loaded.
        sigpic

Comment

Did you delete the whole bf4 folder in my documents?
          Ill check I think I have some more solutions. Ill post them later.
          sigpic

Comment

Couldnt find the links anymore but there was something to do with DirectX and GPU drivers. Check the battlelog forums for help.
            I hope you get your game fixed.
            sigpic

Comment

New development -- my cpu crashed during DOWNLOADING the first of the two DLC packages. Nothing else is amisss in terms of program operations.

WTF?
              sigpic

Comment

I upgraded to a new router and higher speed ISP package, downloaded the last two BF4 DLCs without incident.

Perhaps there was an issue with my old router. Will fire up BF4 tonight after I finish working on my Post-TV mansucript and see what gives.
                sigpic

Comment

No luck. Slight change. Was able to log in, play one round, then crashed soon after the start of the second round.

No other programs affected.

Jus as well for the time being as I have a huge pile fo work to complete over the next two weeks, so I think I'll just leave this issue until June to resolve. For no particular reason I think it may be related to GPU driver -- but that does not explain the sudden change from stable to unstable in the last week as no major update in the game (???).

At least I have a faster Net connection now.

I still hate my ISP with a passion.
                  sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=8381]E-Male[/MENTION], prior to starting a game, start up your resource monitors and sensor applications and begin their monitoring sequences. Make sure they are set to record data frequently enough that once the computer crashes, you will be able to restart the computer and read the report. Have you tried running other Highly demanding games lately?

If it is a driver issue, you may see instabilities appear in the sensors on your graphics card. You could see temps or voltage spikes that could easily cause crashes. This can happen if you try to manually overclock your GPU.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

To echo Beseige try another CPU and GPU intensive game and see how you fare.

Next download Coretemp and monitor your CPU temps and load. If they appear high check your CPU cooler for dust etc and give it and its fans a good clean anyway, I remember you saying your place got quite hot.

Repeat the above with GPU-Z to monitor GPU temps etc.

Monitor your system via the above and task manager. You might want to keep an eye out for a memory leak, ie memory utilisation continuously climbing rather than fluctuating.

Try the repair install option via Origin, see if that downloads any files.

Consider whether you have made any changes to your system prior to the crashes, installed any new software, tweaked any settings.

Download latest WHQL certified drivers for your GPU and perform a clean install. If you run Nvidia this is an option in Geforce Experience, ie part of the process and doesn't require you to use any additional Driver Sweeper programs.

Report back with your findings and between everyone here we might be able to help trouble shoot the issue (post your system specs too). Best of luck.

Comment

I updated PB. This improved things in that now my CPU does not reboot on game start/load.

Now the game simply will not start. "Joining Server" message invariable followed by a either a connection failure or a "connecting" message and a endless blinking cursor on a black screen.

So the issue does not appear to be voltage or GPU related at this point.

Am I missing something that should be in the BF4 command line (Win 7)?

Clearly I have run afoul of Fraggella, the Goddess of FPS Gaming.

Thanks for all the advice.

Will report any further progress.
                        sigpic

Comment

Disregard last post.

All appears to be working now. Odd stuff, but it may all have been related to a PB update.

Sorry for all the distraction.
                          sigpic

Comment

Disregard last post, Re: disregarding last post!

Played a round with TG, then game crashed. Now CPU reboots before BF4 loads. Core Temp 1.0 does not show any temp spike. Will look for memory leaks after I get my manuscript to my editor later next week.
                            sigpic

Comment

Loaded GPU-Z and logged the activity.

I do not see any dramatic change in GPU status in the log just pior to todays in-game CPU crash (although I am beyond my geek pay-level here).

Not sure what would constitute normal ranges within the log.

It may be the case that running my CPU overclocked continuously for 4+ years has worn it out. It may be that my Cosrair H50 chip cooler is running dry.

If anyone could take a quick look at the log and see if their are any signs of trouble I would be in your debt!

All in all, odd that the cpu crash occurs sometimes prior to loading the map, sometimes 5 to 20 minutes after loading -- inconsistent.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X