BF4/laptop thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF4/laptop thoughts?

Have been away from BF4 since early 2012... and wanting to get back into it. Decided I need a new rig, as according to my son our aging rig with Q88 something quad-core processors is woefully underpowered for BF4. I've loaded it, tried it - it's ok with me, but just barely.

So, I'm in the market for a new system. Son has been playing with PC Parts Picker, and has a very decent system spec'd out at around $700, all good stuff included. But, I'm tempted to look at a laptop, one with discrete graphics of course.

Anyone running BF4 on a laptop? Experiences?

Thanks all... Dog

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Re: BF4/laptop thoughts?

I have BF4 loaded on my Lenovo yp510, it has more than enough power (supposedly) to run the game decently. I have yet to enjoy a session on it. For the most part it is hit and miss as to whether it loads or not. I realize that this is probably more an issue with how it's setup

For the difference in price for laptop vs desktop, I'd put money toward desktop.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Hil... You mean it will load occasionally, and not at all other times? I noticed the same thing with BFBC2 on a Windows laptop I borrowed from work. I set the DXvideo setting to DX9 - and it started up every time.

Originally posted by hil3illy View Post
      I have BF4 loaded on my Lenovo yp510, it has more than enough power (supposedly) to run the game decently. I have yet to enjoy a session on it. For the most part it is hit and miss as to whether it loads or not. I realize that this is probably more an issue with how it's setup

For the difference in price for laptop vs desktop, I'd put money toward desktop.

Comment

I'll have to look into that. I was hoping the gaming experience with this laptop was going to be a bit better.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thedogwarrior View Post
          Have been away from BF4 since early 2012... and wanting to get back into it. Decided I need a new rig, as according to my son our aging rig with Q88 something quad-core processors is woefully underpowered for BF4. I've loaded it, tried it - it's ok with me, but just barely.

So, I'm in the market for a new system. Son has been playing with PC Parts Picker, and has a very decent system spec'd out at around $700, all good stuff included. But, I'm tempted to look at a laptop, one with discrete graphics of course.

Anyone running BF4 on a laptop? Experiences?

Thanks all... Dog
          Be ready to spend more money for a laptop with multiple fans. I can run it on my laptops, but the tower really is the way to go.

Also, crap! It has been a long time.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

No doubt, way too long. I'm actually messing around with a friend's ASUS laptop, it's got a core i5, 4GB RAM, nVidia 1GB discrete card GT325M, and 125GB SSD. It runs single player just fine for me, and I've dabbled in what few multiplayer games I can get into. Another big set of expansion packs?? Ugh, more stuff to buy, more stuff to download!

Comment

I actually play on an Acer 3820tg (Intel Core i5 480M, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6550, 8 gig ram, 256 SSD). Low to medium settings and get around 30-40 fps (I know terrible). This is a pretty old laptop so I imagine the newer ones do a much better job running the game. I only got this laptop because it was both thin and light and able to game.

One thing I would look for is a laptop with a decent cooling system (mine has 1 fan on each side vs. most laptops with only one fan total).

Comment

Have Clevo p150EM running Windows 8.1 on a 500GB SSD

i7-2920XM / 32GB Ram / 670M with 1.5G

It runs the game fine. If I had it to do again I would have gone with 16GB and a better video card.

Laptop WILL be more expensive.
                In matters of conscience, the law of majority has not place.
                ... Mohandas Gandhi

How would you like it if, at your job, every time you made the slightest mistake a little red light went on over your head and 18,000 people stood up and screamed at you?
                ... Hall of Fame Montreal Canadiens goalie Jacques Plante.

When you're right, nobody remembers. When you're wrong, nobody forgets.
                ... Muhammad Ali

|TG18|JudyGarland ... Brigadier General Judy Garland - BuxomBombshells

Comment

I run it on my laptop on Low settings. It's got GT630M graphics, Core i7, 6GB ram.

Does it work for playing? Yes.

Great quality? Not really, I run on low settings and manage 20 frames per second.

As it's been said. If you're trying to save money and have a better gaming rig, go for a desktop. You could build up a desktop for the same price (roughly) of my laptop and I'm sure it would be a whole lot better.
                  |TG6|Flarionice
                  Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

I've got an i7 2630 with a 570m and 8gb of ram and an ssd I used it through my first year of college, bf4 ran on medium/low mix at about 40-50 fps about

Laptops are definitely more expensive. I got a deal on mine (I did a DIY laptop) but the eBay seller priced the shell wrong but I bought it before he changed it.
                    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X