Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banding, packet loss and high ping. HALP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banding, packet loss and high ping. HALP!

This has been puzzling me for the past week and a half. Check it:
    I usually average around 36-40 something ping on our BF4 server - until recently. The past week and a half or so, my ping has been super crazy - constantly spiking up into the high 100's, almost pushing 200, and I'm getting bad packet loss in game - according to the visual indicator in the HUD (the little squares going constantly crazy) and running the test in the in-game options.

It never used to do this. The spikes are consistent. I've watched it go up to a super high number, stay there for a bit, then drop back down to something reasonable. The numbers vary, but it's always a constant back and forth between two numbers at a time. Ex: 167, then it will drop down to 48 and then back up to 167, then back down, and so on and so forth. I get a little bit of banding from time to time too.

What's strange is that it doesn't do this on any other server. Or at least any of the ones that I frequent regularly, when ours is empty. Another regular is having a similar issue and it just started for them as well. Coincidence? Who knows. It's been driving me bonkers for the past week or two. I know we had all that bad banding and whatnot recently. and we still have some issues from time to time. I dunno.....I'm just shooting into the dark here and I don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff. Could it be server side? Or something on my end? Or did EA break something again?

I've done the ping test thing online for my internet connection, and the speed test. No issues there. My internet did go wonky one night, right before this all happened. On advice/solution from somebody, I had to manually find and enter in a DNS server address in my IPv4 properties - rather than having it set to the default "Obtain DNS server address automatically" - to fix the problem. The issue was a DNS problem, I guess. Whether that adventure has anything to do with my BF4 issues, I dunno. I'm not an IT guy or a network wizard.

Solutions, tips.....whatever ya got. Throw it on the table.
    |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Re: Banding, packet loss and high ping. HALP!

see if your ISP can check your line for noise or open sections of line. a storm knocked my internet weird for a week, took a new drop outside and about 300ft of new line to get it going again. and afterward it was better than before the storm, go figure. thats all i've got for ya. it might be the answer, or a total red herring.

Comment

Originally posted by FullMetalDrummer View Post
      My internet did go wonky one night, right before this all happened. On advice/solution from somebody, I had to manually find and enter in a DNS server address in my IPv4 properties - rather than having it set to the default "Obtain DNS server address automatically" - to fix the problem. The issue was a DNS problem, I guess. Whether that adventure has anything to do with my BF4 issues, I dunno.
      You have Charter as your ISP I bet.

I haven't been playing lately but I have noticed a much higher ping when I go to jump on spectator here and there. I also know 12th|Undead and I believe AngelofDeath, who are also on charter, have similar issues.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
        You have Charter as your ISP I bet.

I haven't been playing lately but I have noticed a much higher ping when I go to jump on spectator here and there. I also know 12th|Undead and I believe AngelofDeath, who are also on charter, have similar issues.
        LOL! Good guess. Yea, I have Charter for my ISP and I'm not exactly a huge fan. I swear, it's like if the wind blows the wrong way, everything goes out - TV, internet and the house phone. It's the only ISP in my area though, so I'm stuck with them. They did come out not too long ago to fix/replace a cable line that a landscape crew severed while trimming my bushes. The tech found a bad line as well, replaced it, and hooked me up with a new modem too that's an all-in-one for everything. I do remember having issues with it after that, but they went away. Then the DNS thing happened almost 2 weeks ago and the BF4 issues started sometime around then or shortly after.

In light of knowing that other Charter customers are having similar issues, I'm now wondering if my ISP is indeed the culprit here. I got curious today and, in an effort to try to narrow it down a little more, I looked at the ping on servers that I normally pub raid and know that I have good ping. Those pings are a little wacky now too. I can play, but the high ping and packet loss is killing me and bogging me down. I've been sucking it up because I want to play with this new GPU I just got on Friday. But I'm still at the drawing board and scratching my goatee in pondering.
        |TG|FullMetalDrummer

sigpic

Comment

I, too, have been experiencing all of the problems that Drummer is talking about.

For about a week or two my ping has been bouncing from ~90 to ~180. My normal ping is roughly 95, and this doubling of it is really throwing off my mojo.

And, as Drummer said, it has only been on TG that I have experienced any difference in my ping when compared to others in my favorites.
          "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Who is your ISP?

Curious if anyone out there has this issue thats not on Charter.
            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
              Who is your ISP?

Curious if anyone out there has this issue thats not on Charter.
              AT&T

I live in California, about 60 miles north of San Francisco.
              "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I've been having the exact same issues Drummer has mentioned. My ping is usually around 60 but has been all over the place (>300 sometimes) the last few days. I have Comcast, and I've never had this issue before.

Comment

I've been having similar issues for a week or two. There have been short spells of moderate to severe lag a couple times per game, and the packet loss indicator squares have appeared quite often. When I check my ping during these spells of lag it is 100+ or 200+. I definitely did not have these issues before. In battlelog when I refresh the server ping i get either 60-70 or 160-170. This jumping between two pings is exactly like what Drummer mentions.

I have ATT Uverse in Dallas and ping 25-35 to most other servers on my favorites list. I've always had a somewhat higher ping to the TG server, 55-70. By the way, big thanks to the TG community for being awesome. I have a great time playing with you guys.

Comment

Please report if your situation improves tonight or whenever you get on next. Our provider has made some "changes" that we hope will address the issue.
                    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I've played on the server the last two nights(16th and 17th).

On the 16th, the connection to the server seemed much better. My ping was about 5ms higher than before (around 70-75), but there was no drastic ping jumping. In game, the connection felt perfect the whole time. It was a big improvement over recent weeks.

Unfortunately, the 17th was a different story. My ping was jumping like I described in my last post. The issue seems to be unique to the TG server- even in the battlelog server browser I could see that my ping to other servers was consistent, but the TG ping was quite volatile. In game, the connection felt very bad, probably as bad as its ever been for me on the TG server.

Thanks for looking into these server issues. I'll report back if I have any more surprisingly good or bad connection days.

Comment

I noticed some improvement. I played for a couple hours or so last night - between 10pm-ish to 12:30am/1am or so (EST) and my ping wavered between 36 and the 40's. My ping has always been in that ball park on our server before all this happened.

I still had the packet loss notification pop up every now and then, last night. And I only noticed my ping jump drastically and freak out a couple times. But for the most part, it seemed normal. I'll keep an eye on it again later tonight when I jump in and post back with a follow up.
                        |TG|FullMetalDrummer

sigpic

Comment

Update: Still pretty stable for the most part, but noticed my ping jumping a bit here and there to higher numbers than normal, and then back down to normal. I was averaging somewhere in the high 30's to low 40's and the spikes were up to the 90's and 50's. Still some packet loss notification, but again, not as crazy as before. I'd say it's still relatively the same as my last report after the *changes* were implemented.
                          |TG|FullMetalDrummer

sigpic

Comment

The game seems to be playing quite well with barely any rubber banding or stuttering. My ping seems to be higher (~150), but overall I have more consistent game play from what I have seen thus far. No real issues like I had been experiencing (except the higher ping).

I will you keep you updated.
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

UPDATE:

The problem appears to have come back. I am experiencing a doubling of my ping from ~95 to ~190. Every other server that I have checked shows a steady, consistent connection.
                              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X