CPU / Mobo recomendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU / Mobo recomendations

I built my current system in 2009 based upon an i5-750. I've upgraded the RAM to 8GB and the GPU to GTX970, but I suspect the gameplay could be smoother if the CPU were upgraded.

If you agree, which CPU / Mobo would you recommend? I want the best value, not the highest performing nor a budget system.

If you don't think upgrading will make a difference to gameplay in BF4, I'd like to hear your thoughts on that as well.
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: CPU / Mobo recomendations

Open task manager while playing. Review the CPU utilization after a section of gameplay that you consider strained. If one of the 4 core graphs was banging against 100 you might need to upgrade.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

In that case, yup. All four cores are doing just that...and that's while seeding - sitting and waiting for others to join.
      |TG|Melee

Comment

Melee, do you do other kinds of thing beyond the need for 4 cores?

check this deal out:
        Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

The motherboard is the only thing I am uncertain on. Gigabyte was a good brand back in 2002, but I don't know about now.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

The only demanding application on my machine is BF4. Other than that it's just web surfing, Netflix, Excel, Quicken, etc.

I suspect the mobo won't be compatible with any current CPUs, so I expect to replace it along with the CPU and RAM. Everything else is still solid and doesn't need to be replaced.
          |TG|Melee

Comment

Your mobo isn't useful at this point unless you want to make a small home server with it. Just get some cheap parts and set something up.

Your current mobo and cpu are from the first generation of the i series.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Thanks, do you have any recommendations for a solid choice without breaking the bank?
              |TG|Melee

Comment

well, what are you looking for?

AMD or Intel?

Well, why don't you get an i5-4000 series. The link I gave you has some examples. A higher level i5 is suggested and an 1150.

If you are into AMD, let me know.

Comment

Sorry, I was on my phone and glossed over the link. Interesting, I don't recall seeing Newegg offer bundles, but I'll dig into this a bit further. Thanks

I'm not loyal to AMD or Intel, I've built with both. Really just interested in best bang for the buck that will run BF4 really well.
                  |TG|Melee

Comment

Either will do BF4 very well, but if you want to get into more power hungry games, then intel might be the way to go. Presently, single threaded performance is on the Intel side

Comment

If you're looking for bleeding edge, then it's Intel. Best value, I feel, is AMD right now. Very likely you'll be able to upgrade to a newer CPU years down the road (won't be the case with Intel). You usually save a $100 or more and their current crop of chips run rather cool given a decent cooler.

Best Value:

On the Intel side, it's a i5 Haswell CPU.
                      On the AMD side, it's a FX-6300 or better. The 6-core offers just enough extra oophm for demanding titles that the 4-core won't quite reach for. Still cheaper than a 8-core if you don't feel you need 8 cores or the higher price tag.

I'd recommend steering away from Gigabyte motherboards. Not every reliable the last few years. Problems vary from failed onboard souind to finicky compatible memory. Graphics cards from them seem to be just fine, if not better than average quality in some cases.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Intel's new processors release in 3 months.

If you do not want to wait 4690k/4790k and whatever is the cheapest solid z97 board. You should be able to reuse everything else.

Or cheap out and buy a xeon x3470 for hyperthreading on your current platform.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

An H97 board should suffice if I don't plan to overclock or run SLI, correct?

ASUS H97-PRO GAMER LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
                          |TG|Melee

Comment

I have a i5 2500k OC'd to 4.5Ghz with a corsair H50 (stock is 3.3 I think) and a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN 3 motherboard, 8 gig of Ram and a GTX 970 (recently upgraded from a 560ti), running a 23inch @1920x1080... my build is nearly 4 years old... Doesn't skip a beat.

I would imagine you can get my cpu and a mobo for it pretty cheap nowadays, stick a corsair h50i on it and OC it (easy OC on the 2500k's).
                            It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
                            - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Comment

As finestyle is alluding to the difference between a 2500k and a 4690k is an incremental one. IF you were in the mind to you could save some $$$ by picking up a used/refurbished 2500k/2600k system. You would lose out on some connectivity and chipset features. Seeing as you seem to have a lack of interest in overclocking I'm gonna guess that you are a new system kind of guy?

In which case you can step down to the H97 chipset and a non "k" series CPU. I'd suggest you compare prices though as it may not save you much money from what I saw. As a reference I have a 2500k that I have run with the turbo setting bumped to 4.3 from default of 3.7 with a $10 air cooler(corsair A50 actually) and it runs at 4.3 100% of the time with zero problems. No tweaking no testing, just go into the BIOS and change turbo clock to whatever you want and the computer monitors the temperature and voltage itself and scales back as needed.
                              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X