Will 4 gig run BF4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 4 gig run BF4?

Trying to troubleshoot a problem where as after about 3 games on the TG server my framerate will crash to about 10 fps. Got a better GPU card, GTX560 Ti with 2 gig ram and that did not fix the problem. CPU temp runs at 57 degrees. Thinking maybe it is memory getting hot so I took out one stick of 4 gig ram. Now I see that BF4 will not load completely and run. Windows says I am low on memory at 4 gig. My Logitech Performance Monitor shows my memory at 70% at end of load, though I believe the remaining is Standby Memory and not usable.

Thought I used to play BF4 before at 4 gig. Am I wrong?

Re: Will 4 gig run BF4?

Try cpu-id HWMonitor when you want to find out the temperatures. It will display the temps of the cpu, gpu, ram, motherboard, and drives.

As for playing it with 4 Gb of RAM. I personally would not play BF4 on 4 Gb. I did not know it could be done.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

You will need to lower settings and minimize the amount of other open programs.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Well, finally got my new CPU processor in. It is a six core. My CPU usage in game went from 90% to about 75%. Very happy with it. Did not get any FPS drop outs at all. Running with the stock fan and hitting 63 degrees in game. Acorn says I should get a better cooler so I guess I should do that next. When I put the metal block on the CPU I noticed the area with thermal paste was a lot smaller then the CPU processor. This normal?

Comment

4 GBs honestly isn't enough RAM given almost every computer has a load of background apps that consume a good portion of that available RAM. The highly recommended minimum nowadays for gamers is: 8 GBs.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The tech guy at BestBuy told me that having just one 8 gig card was faster than having two 4 gig cards. What the opinion on this?

Comment

I was using 4GB for quite some time and upgraded to 8GB last year. It allowed me to run higher settings and seemed to improve the stability. Though even now I close every other program except TS and Procon to avoid maxing out the memory. This includes Chrome because it usually has 20+ tabs open.
              |TG|Melee
              Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                The tech guy at BestBuy told me that having just one 8 gig card was faster than having two 4 gig cards. What the opinion on this?
                That's largely false, it technically is, but not in an real way that you can notice. I prefer using 2x4 rather than 1x8, since having a RAM stick fail leaves you with 4gigs functioning.
                |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Before I upgraded to 2x8GB, I was running 4gb and 2gb (I don't understand why this was the stock for my laptop) but I could run BF4 just fine. I would be on low settings, granted, but it still worked somewhat well. Well enough that I could still play the game without endless frustrations. Once I upgraded (added an SSD as well) the game definitely played a lot smoother though, was a nice change.
                  |TG6|Flarionice
                  Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

I've heard several people say that the SSD helps with smooth game play too. I'll have to add that to my list of stuff to get now.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                      I've heard several people say that the SSD helps with smooth game play too. I'll have to add that to my list of stuff to get now.
                      An SSD will largely leave BF4 unnaffected in terms of gameplay performance. An SSD with your operating system will cause the computer to boot faster, and for game installed on it, they will load maps much more quickly, but in terms of frame rate the upgrade is negligible.

THAT BEING SAID.... it's worth it to get an SSD and putting your OS and a few of the most used games on their. Games such as ArmA and planetside get a huge gain cause they are loading up these huge maps on the fly, whereas bf4 loads the map while joining the server.
                      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

If you decide to get an SSD, you could always have it set aside just for a few games you want to install on it.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Yeah, [MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION], looking at a couple of 128 gig SSDs currently running around $80 for just the games.

Waiting for my CPU cooler fan from Tiger Direct to come in. Best Buy didn't have any in stock. Using my stock cooler fan makes the CPU run really hot. Having to throttle down to LOW video settings so as not to overload it.

Had something really odd happen last night as I sat down to start playing BF4. I think maybe I had a static charge built up when I came into room with my house slippers. Was seeing some screen glitches as the Origen screen popped up. Could not load BF4 game. It was even on the Windows screen. Tried rebooting with no luck. Then shut down computer to reseat GPU card. Still no luck. Was constantly getting "GeForce graphics driver has unexpectantly stopped and recovered"! Finally managed to uninstall the 3D graphics drivers and the GeForce experience drive and it stopped happening. But I got the graphics driver alert after coming out of game telling me the driver had shut down and recovered. Gonna try reinstalling the last graphics driver again this morning.

Comment

Well, if you have a motherboard with another PCIE 2.0 or newer x 16 slot, there is the option of sticking the card into that slot. What is your Nvidia card?

A buddy of mine has received quite a number of issues with his Nvidia card when he plays BF4, so I am not really sure why it would do that. Does this happen to you when you play other games?

Comment

Here is a picture after the first reboot. Computer could not even reboot at first. As you can see around the screen the raster glitches.

GPU card is a GeForce 560 Ti with 2 gig onboard memory. Did manage to play a couple of games last night.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X