Possible Monitor Upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Monitor Upgrade?

While I was researching how hot my GTX560 Ti video card was allowed to get (which is 97c vs 62c now) I noticed in the specifications the card would allow for higher screen resolutions than what I was used to getting. But I see now that I am limited to what my monitor allows which is 1440 x 900.

I've got a four year old ACER 19" LCD AL1916W sitting at 60hz. Could go up to 75hz, but right now I am concerned about my CPU core temperature. Running a stock fan on my six core AM3 and CPU temps are up to 63c. Waiting for a water cooler before testing to see if I should boost my frame rate up any higher past 60fps.

My question is should I upgrade to a higher resolution monitor in hopes of seeing more, but at what cost to frame rate? I'm sitting about 24 inches away from screen and the largest screen size my desk can handle would be a 23 inch diagonal screen.

Re: Possible Monitor Upgrade?

A resolution bump will use more CPU resources similar to upping the refresh rate. If your eyes are up to the task then a resolution bump can definitely give you an advantage in making out details that would otherwise blend in. 1920x1080 is the standard and therefor most likely the best value panel you will find.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Thanks for the info, Namebot. I'm just wondering if the LED monitors can handle the higher refresh rates now? I see a lot of those for sale. Mine is a LCD.

Put in a new cooler yesterday. One that Acorn had recommended to me. Hyper 212 EVO with heat pipes. My CPU now stays below 50c even under heavy game load.

If I have to upgrade in the future it would involve a new GPU and new MoBo as the motherboard does not support PCI Express 3.0 GPUs. And there is the issue of a better monitor too. Glad I have an extra kidney!

Comment

PCIE3 is backwards compatible with PCIE2 its really a matter of whether you need the extra bandwidth provided by the newer version.

LCD and LED are not mutually exclusive. There are monitors which incorporate LED lighting and a refresh rate up to 144hz. The demand a price premium though. If you look at a replacement monitor with a more than budget price I suggest you consider one with adaptive sync a technology that allows the monitor refresh rate to dynamically match that of your video cards output. This helps reduce tearing and jitter.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Yes, I knew it was backwards compatible.

Was a Best Buy yesterday and they had an Acer 23" monitor for sale for $180. Might get it someday after upgrading to a better GPU. My GPU gave me grief yesterday while playing twice and crashed my game. Don't know what is going on there. Kept getting giving me "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered." messages. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling with different driver version. So I put in my older GPU card this morning and system back up.

Comment

144 HZ is the way to go-it is really worth the extra cost. I cant go back to my 60hz. I have 2 of these Asus VG248QE 24-Inch paired with a gtx780 - $250 on amazon and free shipping.

Comment

[MENTION=115397]corbu[/MENTION] is this the card you are referring to?
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-022-_-Product

The specifications didn't mention anything about 144 hz. I'm also concerned about the power requirements. They are suggesting 600 watts and my power supply is rated at 575 watts.

Comment

Your GTX 560Ti supports [email protected] via dual-link DVI(both DVI ports on the card should meet this specification).

The GTX780 linked supports it over either DVI or displayport.

Supporting that refresh rate does not mean that it will produce them in all applications or settings. You also would need to make sure you are using a "dual link" DVI cable to achieve that refresh rate.

Power requirements are massively overstated. If you give us the power supply model we can gauge whether or not it is up to the task.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

[MENTION=20363]Namebot[/MENTION] my new "used" GTX 560 Ti went bad a few days ago so I'm back to my older GTX 560. I seem to play OK with medium settings but would like a better resolution monitor and new video card.

The GTX560 Ti suddenly got "Display Driver shutdown and recovered" reports. Even at the startup BIOS screen there were graphic memory glitches. I'm thinking that maybe there was a power transistor that went bad on the board. I hadn't over clocked the board so that was not the problem.

Comment

Looks like I need to get a new monitor. This one here is not powering up in the morning anymore. I have to manually shut down then restart to get the monitor to come online. Looked on the back of monitor and see that the manufacturer date is 2006. Should have lasted longer, but I normally leave the computer on all day.

Comment

Mine is a 20" from 2005 so I'm looking to upgrade for my birthday. What did you go with?
                      |TG|Melee
                      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

I went with another ACER monitor. ACER H236HL, 23 inch and it fits nicely into my desk enclosure. Picture is very nice. Running right now with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Only problem I see is the black is too dark. Cant see enemies in the dark rooms.

Comment

You can adjust the brightness and contrast both in-game and within your monitors hardware settings.

Until then, I'll be hiding in dark corners...
                          |TG|Melee
                          Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

For gawds sake, Melee! Stop hiding those claymores in the stairwells!

Comment

Not sure what your budget or desired size is, but I recently went for a more budget monitor and got the Asus VE247H 23.6" and I've been happy with it thus far. Color defintion isn't perfect, noticed this while doing some photoshop, but definitely not over noticable. I could probably attempt fixing the color adjustments, just have not done so. Picked it up for around $140. 1920x1080 resolution.

May not be the greatest monitor, but it's definitely an upgrade from the 15.6" laptop screen from 2012 that I was using (which now serves as my second screen)
                              |TG6|Flarionice
                              Former Irregular, Former member of TG 3rd Special Forces Detachment

Please don't call me Florence.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X