This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build

Question for the masses, I spent last night and this morning so far getting my new build together. Its up and running and just going through the process of installing everything. My question is, for all the ssd users on here, what tips and tricks can you offer to help with driver space? I currently only have windows on the drive and bf4 and all expansions are currently installing on it, all other programs are going on to one of the partitions on the 3tb drive thats also inside. This is my first SSD so was just curious if anyone that has been using one for awhile had any tips. Here is a pic of the new build, i love the rosewill thor v2 case, it is massive. pc.jpg

Re: New Build

The thing to keep in mind with SSDs is that they have a finite amount of writes to their NAND chips. To help ease those writes, it is highly recommended that you move your paging file to another HDD (or maybe a small flash drive that's always plugged in). You can also turn off drive indexing for your SSD as seek times are so fast that a traditional index table isn't even needed. If you are using Windows 7, 8/8.1, or 10, TRIM should be enabled by default. If not, you should check to see if it is enabled for your SSD.

BTW, which SSD did you get?

Nice. Now you need to post up some pictures of the inside and the cable tangle in back! :) Your case was my second choice back when I built my current rig. It's nice going back to a full-height tower, but at the same time, it makes the entire build so much heavier. Hopefully you don't have to lug it around anywhere anytime soon. I'm sure it's pretty heavy for you too. :)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i have a samsung 850 evo, and your right it has some weight too it, but i wont have to move it a whole lot. I went with it cause of the size and the cooling system is great. I will get some pictures of the inside and my cabling in the back. I wasnt able to run all the cables behind, some where just too short, but event after gaming for 2 hrs, my card was running and nice 48C.

I installed the samsung software that came with the drive and it seems like it shut a lot of things off and changed some stuff to make the drive run better, but ill check the things you listed.

Comment

ok, here are a couple pics of the inside and 1 of the back cabling mess. One question, how do i go about moveing the paging file? I have a regular sata hdd as a secondary to the ssd, so i can move it there, just done know how. I know the samsung software already lowered the paging file to 200mb.

Comment

so I have to ask, what did you install for the rest of the computer?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

oh, i didnt do anything fancy just had soem extra money so thought i would buy some new parts.

thor v2 case
            msi 970 gaming board
            AMD FX 8350 cpu
            16gb ram
            xfx r9 390x
            1050w psu

Comment

Not bad, but if you overclock, at least add a coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo air cooler.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I actually ordered one this morning, was monitoring the cpu temp while I was playing bf4 and noticed the tempature was aproaching 60c. I know amd cpus run warm, especially the 8350, so I figured better safe than sry.

Comment

I went water cooling when I built mine. Glad to have done so

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X