Packet Loss Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packet Loss Problem

As I may have told a few of you, I am experiencing a lot of packet loss on my computer connection. Been about five days now. This causes lag and not associated with ping. This shows up as running a pace and trying to change weapons or equipment and not seeing it happen.

Had Time Warner Cable guy come over to check my gear and connection. We had swapped out modems and he did his thing with a magic black box. He could see nothing wrong. He even went so far to replace the cable going into my mobile home. Then he suggested it might be the Ethernet controller on the motherboard. The packet loss I am seeing seems to get worse just after the game starts like maybe something is getting hot then starts to fail.

So now I have a 10/100mbit ethernet PCI Express card coming in from Newegg. Cost was only $12. Will see how this goes in a few days when it comes in.

Re: Packet Loss Problem

Hmm, if the lag is not reflected in your latency times, then it's either local (your PC) or local network (your modem, router, etc). Since it seems you've ruled out some of the local network side (assuming you have a router), then it's likely your PC to blame.

Let's see how that new network card does for you. It might be software running in the background eating up I/O on your disk and/or CPU cycles.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Is this an all the time thing or specific times of the day? Is it only in game, or does it happen when doing other things?

Maybe try running a stress test like
      http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ (gpu)
      http://www.mersenne.org/download/ (cpu)

And watch your packet loss during it to confirm.

Other thing, is this a wired connection? Wifi is very susceptible to packet loss even if the signal looks pretty good for web. Since you ordered at 10/100 card I'm assuming so, but worth a mention.

One last thing, do you have anything between your computer and the gateway? Customer owner router, switch, etc?

Comment

The evening after the cable guy left my packet loss went away. Very odd. Just played a game tonight (Thursday) and was good playing. Will wait next time when I get massive problems and put in the NIC card.

Comment

So, you just need to have the cable guy visit each day, just before gaming ! Is he enghlish, maybe he could visit for tea ? Hehe.
          sigpic
          *New to TG Start Here !*BF4 Server Rules !*Battlefield 4 at TacticalGamer !

Comment

Saturday morning the NIC card came in via UPS. Did a 'before' test to see what problems I had with packet loss. There was some on the empty TG server but not overly bad.

Installed the NIC card. Had to disable the onboard ethernet in BIOS before it would allow the computer to boot up. After two restarts to get the drivers settled (I have Windows 10) I did a BF4 dry run. Rock solid! No packet loss at all. So I'm thinking to myself "So, I must have a bad MoBo".

Went back online an hour later and played Team Death Match on a server. Packet loss problem came right back! Still playable, but I think what is the problem is not my end but communications from my town to the outside world. I'm thinking there is a list of connections and sometimes your connection gets put on the bottom of the list and you get ****ty outbound comms.

Now back on my MoBo ethernet connection. Took the card out and the game is playable. Just for a test, the next time I get really terrible packet loss, I will reinstall the NIC card and see if the problem goes away fro awhile. I know that the new NIC card could not go bad in just one hour.

Comment

Saturday was getting a lot of the packet loss again. Switched back to the NIC card and all was good again. So it not the ethernet ports on my computer end and not the modem. Has to be my internet provider or the wide web itself to blame.

So now I have decided to leave my computer off for most of the day. The thought is that my habit of checking Battlelog for friend requests, seeing is someone posted on Tactical Gamer Forum, looking at all my Yahoo forums and other stuff I do while being bored is somehow leaving a lot of loose ends out there and that may be why IP address has problems.

So it has been two days now and my playing at night has been smooth as silk after leaving my computer turned off during most of the day.

In case anyone is wondering, the internet graph I have been watching is brought up by entering the following in console mode; networkperfoverlay.drawgraph 1
              I have it installed in my User.cfg file in Battlefield 4 directory so it comes up each time I start the game.

Comment

Try running a traceroute to your servers
                https://sourceforge.net/projects/openvisualtrace/
                That'll show you where you are losing the packets.

Found out that my ISPs local router was overloaded that way once. Might have to leave it logging for a few days to be able to prove its the issue. Always okay when the cable guy came out. They never want to believe the problem is on their end.

Comment

[MENTION=137573]TheRulesLawyer[/MENTION], I downloaded that program, OpenVisualTrace, but dont see how to use it effectively. If I put in "TacticalGame.com" it will show the route to San Francisco. I guess that where the forum server is located.

How do I get the IP address for the BF4 server associated with Tactical Gamer?

Comment

http://www.gametracker.com/server_in...142.160:30000/

|TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

66.55.142.160:30000

Comment

lol, sry namebot, your post wasnt there when i started typing

Comment

Originally posted by USMCGhost44 View Post
                          66.55.142.160:30000
                          Ghost, yours doesnt work at all. If I leave out 30000 then I get a trace from Kentucky to somewhere toward the rockies then back to Matawan in New Jersey (I think).

Comment

if you look on battlelog at the full server page for the TG server thats the address that comes up. I do think the server is east coast so the NJ thing sounds right, it is weird that you go across the country to come back to NJ

Comment

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                              Ghost, yours doesnt work at all. If I leave out 30000 then I get a trace from Kentucky to somewhere toward the rockies then back to Matawan in New Jersey (I think).
                              Woah...what?! It went from Kentucky back west, then back through I'd assume Chicago, then back east? That's a really bad path and likely caused you higher ping times.

Can you screenshot and/or post up the details from the trace using the program?

Right now it sounds like your internet connection/provider is to blame. And if the cable guy immediately causes lag, maybe it's time to put up a sign that reads: "Cable Guy NOT ALLOWED. Causes me bad lag. Bad cable man!" :p
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X