BF3: PC will get extra attention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF3: PC will get extra attention

I figured some people only check the BC2 and 2142 forums exclusively (i.e., they don't check both forums frequently), so I created a thread in each forum. Admins, please merge if necessary.

2142 Thread: BF3: PC will get extra attention

Early on BFBC2 our PC playtest feedback showed that weapon feeling was lacking. It just wasn't as much fun to shoot the guns on PC as on console. With controls being the big gameplay difference (mouse vs pad) it quickly became clear that simply put the original weapon tweaks, which were done on the PS3, weren't working on PC. The guns all had a bit of base inaccuracy, that with a gamepad wasn't really noteworthy, but on PC it really prevented players from taking advantage of the mouse input. On 2142 one of the key things about the guns is that they were all deadly accurate, they lost damage over range sure, but if you could put the crosshairs on the target you could hit it. Sure, some people feel like an AR should be more accurate than an SMG or carbine. I feel like the issue is "ARs should be better at range" and thus, they do better damage over range than the SMGs.

In response to the feedback on PC, I completely retweaked the accuracy. The next playtest it was immediately obvious that it was a change for the better, and surprisingly it also made gamepads feel much better as well.

Fundamentally I think it is an error to have different core gameplay on console vs PCs. PC gives a player more input control and if a gun feels good on PC it feels good on console. I won't "dumb it down" by lowering the recoil or changing the damage model or other such silliness.

PC and Console Battlefield players want similar gameplay: Epic sprawling Battlefields, and also tight infantry fights. Balanced weapons and land/sea/air vehicles with a rock-paper-scissors emphasis. Squad and teamplay, where no one player can be a do-it-all super soldier, and communications systems to support teamplay. And a deep and rewarding system of progression with deep and varied gameplay that keeps you wanting to go 1 more round. Everyone also wants it to be easy to play with their friends.

Consoles generally are less tolerant of overly complex interfaces. They have less buttons, you need more elegant interfaces. Deep systems work well though if they have a straight forward interface. The fun is not in figuring out how to use the system, it's in figuring out how to best use the system.

PC players have their own set of requirements. They tend to play only on PC, and they know their PCs have capabilities beyond that of a console. The gap is narrowing, but PCs still have a clear advantage in memory. PC players also demand a PC interface, a server browser, and anything that feels like it might have been "ported" from a console is going to get flamed hard. They are more forgiving of complex systems and will tear any design down into its parts to really figure out how it works. It's a damn sight harder to please a PC player, they have higher expectations.

It's too early to talk BF3 specifics. But it's never too early for me to acknowledge that PC players have a fear that BF3 will be "consolized." PC gaming is alive and well, BFBC2 has proven that and no one at DICE or EA can argue with the numbers. Battlefield 3 needs an extra bit of special attention on the PC. I intend to give it that attention, tradition and our community demand it.
    Source: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...l#post18686418
    Last edited by Pvt Brokeback; 10-20-2010, 12:28 PM.

Re: BF3: PC will get extra attention

Sweet!
    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

rep+ Demize99

Comment

I won't breathe a sigh of relief yet, but it's nice to know we're on their minds.

Looks like EA is gearing up to make BF3 a very dominant PC title.

Comment

Whites of it's eyes...

Comment

BF3 Forum anyone? ; )

Comment

That is encouraging news (or fine sales propaganda? :-)
              sigpic

Comment

encouraging yes....faith no.....personally there 0-2 (BC:2 & MoH) and thoug

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

encouraging yes....faith no.....personally there 0-2 (BC:2 & MoH) and though some things were stated in the article, it is good to see that they understand the we PC gamers DO expect more!! :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectNA View Post
                    BF3 Forum anyone? ; )
                    Yes please.

Comment

I won't believe it until its out and in our hands. EA/DICE has lost all of my confidence because of BC2/MOH.
                      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Didn't they say the same thing about BC2 back when MW2 came out? About how they had tweaked it and developed the PC version for PC and it wasn't a console port?

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Demize is a former mod guy from PoE (Blue Nile original maker). How much pull he really has on DICE and how much what his interpretation of what he said REALLY matches what a lot of people in TG want is yet to be seen. Even if you get to do the tweaks and such does not mean you get to make the final call or overall design. So whatever he wants to be done must be part of the design document and agreed upon in the master plan.

However the fact that he said what he said in public on an official form is very encouraging. Demize was already a very talented developer back in his PoE days and has only grown leaps and bounds since joining DICE. DICE certainly has the talent to make the 'epic' game everyone wants if the company decides to go that route. And a lot of that decision will come down to design time, initial costs, and potential return on total investment.
                          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I wonder about lean and prone, after all they have hosed us two games in a row with features games had four years ago!

Comment

Unless this game is going to be PC only or they are making two separate games, one version for consoles one for PC, then I don't believe it. I don't think it's even within the realm of possibility to create a true battlefield title that also plays on 360 and PS3. Not after accounting for the limitations of console hardware, control interface and making compromises for the console target audience.
                              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X