TS channel use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS channel use

I am very frustrated by the voice com situation in bfbc2.

Having everyone in the same TS channel seems like a huge waste of time. There is almost nothing I feel is worth communicating to the rest of the team. 75% of the coms I hear when we are all in the same channel are not useful for me at all.

There is no easy solution. Keybinds are not some magic bullet. The channels are not used properly by everyone and it is hard to know which team is 1 and which team is 2 - It could be attackers or defenders or a side in conquest.

Having voice coms mixed up and ad hoc is really killing this for me.

Am I alone in my frustration? I am a squad guy, I loved 2142 and bf2 because of the squad level voip. tf2, etqw, CoD all lost their fun for me after a month or so because of a lack of squad level voip.

BFBC2 is losing me for the same reason... I wish we could all get on the same page.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Re: TS channel use

Indeed.

The TeamSpeak (and VOIP) situation with BC2 has been extensively discussed in these forums. This does not mean that you are wrong to feel as you do.

There are two general opinions on TS in BC2: some prefer to be in one group channel, and others (including myself) prefer squad-dedicated TS channels.

The trick to dealing with the situation is quite straight forward:

Hop into an unused TS channel (they rarely are all used under the BC2 hierarchy). It helps to announce via TS beforehand, or chat after the fact, that you are in a new TS channel.

When you move into a new TS channel it also is best to open up a new squad in the BC2 squad assignment "page". This allows others to join in your TS channel AND be in your squad.

You DO NOT need to assert squad leadership to do these things. One does not imply or necessitate the other.

Keep in mind that you may end up sitting alone in your new TS channel -- happens to me often (I guess I'm smelly). People have their preferences as to who they want to squad-up with and how they want their comms -- team or squad based.

Nonetheless, most of the time, you will find that others will join you in a squad-dedicated teamspeak channel. Often I have the opposite problem and have to chase people out of my TS channel that are not in my squad.

As flawed as things may be, at least BOTH preferences are accommodated. Having a squad isolated in comms does not cut the squad of from the group. Chat can be used to communicate issues and intentions, and I will often use chat to tell the team what my squad's area/zone and objective is or will be.

EDIT:

Note also that one can end up in a separate TS channel and have squad mates who still remain in the group channel. Poor etiquette or ill-defined convention perhaps. You can also request that these people clear off your squad or move into yet a new squad yourself. When asked politely, TGers will always do what you request regarding your TS channel or squad. Tis the golden rule...
    sigpic

Comment

I don't think having both preferences accommodated is any sort of a solution.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Are you talking about having both teams in the same channel, or everyone, regardless of team, in the same channel?

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
          I don't think having both preferences accommodated is any sort of a solution.
          Nonetheless, it is indeed a working solution for the group. It may not be the solution you like, but for the present, there appears to be no other option nor has any other solution been effectively implemented.

Lots of things in life lack an ideal solution. Claiming that the current situation is not any sort of solution is simply counterfactual. It is.
          sigpic

Comment

I too support squad channels of 4. However it depend on the mode played really. I feel that squad channels are much better choice for conquest since there are more than 2 objectives and they are far a part. I do not need to hear what is going on at B when i am at C for example. Rush mode is a whole different type of play which requires whole team coordination and effort to achieve victory since MCOMM come in pairs and very close to one another.
            Last edited by PL_OSTRY; 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
              Are you talking about having both teams in the same channel, or everyone, regardless of team, in the same channel?
              I mean having each team in a respective channel, and a mix of some people in their own squad channels. Having members of opposing sides int he same channel is fine for seeding.

Teamwide VOIP for this game is a complete failure on a tactical level. It is nice for chitchat but arguing that is it somehow useful on a tactical level is a laughable. Having half the team using teamwide voice and the other half using squad voice makes it worse, not better.

Comment

Having half the team using teamwide voice and the other half using squad voice makes it worse, not better.
                Opinions vary. To suggest a partial solution is no better is, again, counterfactual and poorly, if all supported by experience.

This claim implies that creating efficiencies within a squad somehow makes things worse.

Curious indeed.
                sigpic

Comment

It is worse because it leads to a greater degree of imbalance between sides. The only people that benefit from a mixed group is those that are using squad voip. Teamwide voip is fairly useless unless you are on rush, then it is of minor benefit and only when the entire team is using it. When u have a third of your team in a squad voip and half in team voip and a few not on voip at all - viop becomes useful to only those in squad voip. If only one team is using squad voip the other team gets rolled due to the power squad having effective coms.

The only solution is to enforce by community or admin a standard of using squad level voip for both rush and conquest.

Comment

Keep in mind this is strictly your opinion. I'm not saying we should do one or the other, here, but while you may prefer squad-based comms, there are others out there who prefer team-based comms. Is one more beneficial to the other, I think there isn't a correct answer, since both each have their pros and cons.

I don't care for either, and if anything, I would agree that yes, in many cases, perhaps squad-based channels are ideal. But I'm not going to say what I prefer is better and that team-based channels are "useless". I do recognize that it'd be nice to communicate relevant information to a nearby teammate that isn't in my squad.

The only solution is to enforce by community or admin a standard of using squad level voip for both rush and conquest.
                    Enforcing comm policy? You can't be serious. What's the penalty of refusing to comply? Kicking? What if one guy is in a squad in which none of his squadmates are in TS? He can't join another squads channel because it's against the rules? No offense, but this suggestion shouldn't have even been mentioned, period.

Comment

While I love 4 man squad channels, I am not prepared to see people get kicked because they don't use them 100%
                      Skud

Comment

Originally posted by PL_OSTRY View Post
                        I too support squad channels of 4. However it depend on the mode played really. I feel that squad channels are much better choice for conquest since there are more than 2 objectives and they are far a part. I do not need to hear what is going on at B when i am at C for example. Rush mode is a whole different type of play which requires whole team coordination and effort to achieve victory since MCOMM come in pairs and very close to one another.
                        This

Comment

I agree that no one should be kicked for not using coms. However, arguing that team coms are more effective than squad level coms is absurd.

Pretty much anything that needs to be communicated via teamwide coms is available by looking at your minimap and having people spot enemy movements.

The rest of it belongs in squad voice.

Comment

I like to be in my squad channel too Sci. Don't give up! We get squad channels going most nights - but you have to initiate them. Someone has to say "Hotel squad, let's move one channel down".

If you are in a squad that has other people who are in TS, invite them to move to a different channel. In my experience, people are very open to changing channels.

Once you get your channel going, feel free to tell any newcomers that it is a squad channel.

Don't mind which channel is what - we get them mixed up all the time. Just try to get yourself and your squadmates into the same channel.

I have keybinds setup to move a channel up and a channel down - it works well enough.

Some people like team channels, some like squad channels - nothing you can do about that one. Just do the one you like.

Comment

As most of you know, I usually don't rock the boat this much. But I am pretty much about to pack it in with bfbc2 and migrate to another shooter.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X