Lag in the server...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag in the server...

I am sure this post will get lambasted by some, but I have heard enough people mentioning it in game that I figured it warranted a mention in the forums.

The in-game lag is starting to make the game the opposite of fun. Like tonight, the other team's guys were swarming the mcom. I lined up with an M60 with laser sight and magnum rounds and had about 10 guys lined up to shoot at so I put my laser sight one head hoping to make a quick kill and work my way down the line. The only problem...it took about 10 rounds to kill him while he was sitting still and in that time someone turned and killed me in one shot with the same weapon I was using.
    People have told me everything from it is lag and it just happens, to poor hitbox, to a million other things, but I see the same people making quick kills on a regular basis so obviously there has to be some fix or technique in which some people are using to deal with this.
    So I am wondering if someone would be willing to volunteer some info for us all so those who are getting frustrated might better understand how those who seem to have less trouble with lag are able to do this. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if I have things set up wrong, but anything you guys could recommend would really be appreciated.

Here is my system in case that might be the issue:
    AMD Phenom II X6 - 1090T
    ECS A790GXM-AD3
    Intel 120GB SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 CL9 4 x 2gb
    Sapphire HD 6870
    Antec TPQ-850
    Windows 7 64bit Ultimate SP1

Fios 20/5

Re: Lag in the server...

Yeah...... I was there too. :-(

Comment

I saw the lag tonight also. I try to think it's my internet node here in Ky. Sometimes I do get a good game in but most times I have to deal with the terrible lag which often happens around 8:00 to 10:00 PM Eastern time. Maybe our server does have problems. Only the Admin would know for sure.

Comment

1. Sometimes server providers have issues.
        2. Sometimes your internet providers have issues. I know many of you play for fancy and expensive internet with big numbers - that does not mean it works 100% every time.
        3. Sometimes there are few to no explanations. Technology is what it is.
        4. Don't rely on your ping displayed in game all the time. If my experience with BF titles is anything like it has been with this one, ping is not a good determination of latency all the time. Should, but is not always.
        5. Punkbuster. You may want to manually check for updates using pbsetup every few days.
        6. Firewalls.

There are sooooo many possible explanations. Try and keep an open mind.
        Last edited by Skud; 03-03-2011, 12:29 AM.
        Skud

Comment

I've never had any continuous lag though I have seen on rare times lag spikes and other people that were visibly lagging.

I would recommend for those people experiencing lag to check if their punkbuster is up to date and maybe to reset their own modem/router before gaming.

Comment

This is interesting. I've heard Gator complain about lag and missed hit detection in some form or another a lot and I always assumed the internet connection was to blame. But if you have a FIOS line and you're on the east coast then that is pretty strange. What kind of ping are you typically getting? I have verizon FIOS as well and my connection to the TG server is very consistent and reliable. For reference, my ping on TG is typically around ~120 reported from the game.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I don't really look that much but as far as I can remember it usually ranges 140-170 for me in-game.

Pinged the server 69ms.

Comment

I have had the same experience as gator, lining up the shot and emptying the clip without getting even a kill assist. Lately though it is not just the TG server. I know that my internet causes some of the problems but I have found that my in game ping has gone from 130-180 to 240-300. The lag spikes were going up to 999, last night was the worst.
                I find that the ping that show up in the server list almost doubles once I get in game. Wish that there was a quick fix, hopefully BF3 mp will run smoother.
                sigpic

Comment

My ping is usually about 185 for the TG server. As for my internet I've got AT&T DSL 3gig up and 256k down. Using an in home Linksys router.

Comment

My ping is usually around 110 or so. I was going to buy FRAPS so I could record and show you guys, but that program slows my system down to a crawl. Any ideas of an alternative that won't slow my system down so much?

Comment

Man, I have a pretty good internet connection, but the lag is sooooo bad! Maybe not as bad as the 2142 lag from a year ago but its up there. I have had it ever since the the new maps came out.
                      lTG-Irrl Argetnar
                      If you hear the chatter of my Vossaraptor you're already dead.
                      "Squad attack Tollhouse!" Experiment626
                      "Cookies?" Argetnar
                      "Yes bring your cookies too!" Experiment626
                      sigpic

Comment

FRAPS is the best program out there that I know for recording in game video. Under Movies, set the Video Capture Settings to "60 fps" and "half-size". Also might help if you record to a second hard drive instead of your OS/games hard drive.
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Ever since the last patch my ping has gone from <40 average to around 150 with spikes to 999+ every few minutes.

Former TG-21st
                          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

I blame EA.

There now that that's settled. :)

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

As far as hit boxes are concerned I've emptied a clip into people at medium range and less than half registered as hits despite hitting the same spot. The last patch they did really seemed to affected them in a bad way as far as I can tell.

Those of you having lag issue why don't you ping the server and see what is going on?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X