Tips and clues ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips and clues ?

Any tips and clues from you experienced BC2'ers ?

Regarding tanks? What specializations do you find work best for them ? I find that while I like magnification on my main gun, its really not necessary on these maps. And, if anything, it hurts you cause you now have to learn two trajectories.

So, and I'm a new SSGT, I'll take out smoke. But smoke doesn't always work against ATMs and darts. So now that Ive earned the drivers MG I like to take that out cause you cant beat a good machine gun. I hate taking a tank out alone so's I'll often wait for a 2nd. However a 2nd doesn't always help, that is if you get a bad second.

Any other load out info would be helpful. Be it chopper, vehicle, infantry.

Last night I tanked with a squadie while on TS-3. Totally different game with squads in tune and communicating. We ratched up loads of kills, forcing every enemy tank to come after us.

Is there any way to limit mortar attacks ? The damage they cause ?

What rifles/weapons/loadouts do you make bread and butter on your infantry kits ?

Thanks in advance. S!

Re: Tips and clues ?

Hellooooo and welcome.

Tanks, for me, depends on the vehicle, the map, what I'm going up against, etc.

Am I playing against an organized team on a larger, more open map? Smoke. Need to stop the tracers.
    Am I playing on a small, crowded map? Armor or Warheads.
    Am I on an unorganized team who can't be relied on to repair me all the time? Armor might be good.
    Am I hitting an mcom, or keeping players off it? Warheads.

Choppers:

Am I gunning? Most likely Warheads.
    Am I pilot? Most likely Armor or Smoke.
    Does my pilot use the hellfire? Alt Fire. It allows for a lock on tone for him and the hellfire is super effective. It's only downside is you have to be low and fast, and the pilot has to be experienced with it for it to be effective.

Infantry is almost all personal preference/situational. I know some players that love the F2000 - personally, I hate it. Some people love the M249, like myself, others think it's underpowered.

Unless you have a reason to use something else, I almost always would recommend Magnum rounds. IIRC it brings damage from 1.00 ratio to 1.25. That is how all perks work.

As far as situational goes, there are some situations where I use certain guns that you'd normally never see me using. Like the M-93 pistol. I hate that thing, but if I'm running in close with a shotgun and am on the move constantly, it's great. Another example is the difference between some snipers. I am a lover of the SVU at almost any range, but sometimes, on some maps, I just have to use something with more power at range like an M24 or M95. I'm also a fan of the dirty, disgusting, overpowered in every way, VSS - but on some maps it'd be silly to use.

In conclusion, what keeps me interested with BC2 is how personalized you can make your experience without the ridiculousness in other games (face paint?!). Weapons, while some are obviously more powerful, are not stacked into "good" and bad categories like we've seen in other games (M16, COD4)...

Find what you like. Get proficient in it. Explore other weapons. If you don't like a weapon, simply don't use it.
    Skud

Comment

You can take out a tank by yourself. If you are an Engineer, use the repair tool to take it apart! I've done it many times before and my perfered weapon if they have not run over my mines yet. Dont forget to keep laying them mines out. They dont disappear when you die. You can even change kits and they will stay there until next map!

Good Luck,
      Gunney

Comment

As a long time armor whore, over many titles, I have learned that you cant completely stop incoming fire such as mortars and artillery strikes. There are a few things to reduce their effect.

Rule one, you cant sit in one spot. Try placing your tank in a position that allows you to move forward and backward between main gun firing. In BC2, you basically have enough time to fire two shells before you can expect a sniper to whip out his goggles. Rolling back also gives me the chance to scan the flanks to see if anyone is trying to sneak up on me, which I see all the time as they get past our lines with sole intent of getting me. Avoid getting tunnel vision on distant targets you are already aware of, you have to keep an eye on the whole area by watching your flanks, since you are the biggest target on the battlefield.

I know a lot of players like to place their tank so the front armor is facing directly toward the enemy, I prefer to give them a 45 degree view and I move back and forth to avoid the incoming shells, since I can see them coming. . . and even though it is not proven, I swear I take less damage when the shells hit at an angle. We tried to prove it in BF2 testing, yet it seems to be a roll of the dice in this case, as we could never get steady results.

Rule two, hit the enemy in the weak spots, the treads, even if you are facing him head on, aim low for a tread instead of hitting that front plate. I love it when a tank rolls past me and shows his @$$, the weakest and sweetest of spots, especially when they get out to repair and run for the rear. That front plate has the highest armor rating, you are better off getting a slight tread hit than to hit the front armor. . . and you are always better off waiting for a good shot than just firing because it has reloaded, timing is everything, make each shot count.

As for the perk, I use smoke on every kit, just because it eliminates tracer darts and gives me cover while I repair and makes it more interesting for the rest of the team. Besides, I love a smokey battlefield. :row1_7:

I also advise to stop moving when your gunner is trying to get infantry. Even moving the turret makes it tougher, when it can be done with one or two well placed bursts from a steady tank. Let yourself take a breath, look at the whole screen for a second, observe any movement on the edges while he is firing... That is when you have a gunner who does not fire randomly at everything.

GUNNERS.. remember, your first job is to keep the enemy infantry off the flanks of the tank, opposite the main gun:icon4:
        I know the secondary gun is great against choppers, but when the driver is in panic mode you might want to look a little closer to home.
        theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
        E Pluribus Unum
        Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
        Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

As an infantry ground-pounder, I offer this:

Always stay moving. When you're infantry, especially the longer you stay still, the more likely you are to die The infantry solider that stays alive is more effective AND isn't a burden on your team's tickets. Think cover to cover. Where am I going to? Why am I going there? Is there sufficient protection?

Comment

The way to find a gunner/driver is to get on teamspeak. Getting on teamspeak is all but mandatory for TG.

The gunner really needs to be an engineer - all the repairs should be done by the gunner. The driver needs to stay in the tank to prevent vehicle theft and to dodge rounds. The armor perk is IMO the best choice for a tank engineer.

The repairing engineer should always stay beside the tank. Never behind. If the tank starts moving, hop back in. Don't make the driver wait for you - he may be backing up to avoid a mortar strike. The gunner is also responsible for making sure that no C4 gets planted on the vehicle. 3rd person view really helps with that.

The driver can be any kit. Not being engineer ensures that the driver won't be tempted to hop out and repair - this is assuming you have a gunner who's an engineer.
            The smoke perk will help against the pesky tracers, but I personally like to use cover to prevent the rockets from hitting the vehicle once traced. Availability of cover depends on the map, so just use your judgement. Quick reload and extra punch are great offensive perks. Secondary fire for the Bradley/Bakhcha will help against tanks.

As has been pointed out, keep moving. Don't forget to use 3rd person view.

If I have no gunner, I go engineer with the armor perk.

This all is just my play style. You'll find some extraordinary players on TG that do it very differently.

Comment

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
              I prefer to give them a 45 degree view and I move back and forth to avoid the incoming shells, since I can see them coming. . . and even though it is not proven, I swear I take less damage when the shells hit at an angle. We tried to prove it in BF2 testing, yet it seems to be a roll of the dice in this case, as we could never get steady results.
              Actually Zhohar and I noticed this too. If you take an RPG and fire it directly (90 degree angle) at the side of a tank it will do a lot of damage. But if you fire the rpg at even a slight angle at the same spot, it will do a lot less damage. I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are, but it might be half as much damage.

I generally don't dedicate a round to playing in a Tank unless I have a reliable person on TS that is comfortable with being my repair guy. I rarely ask people on TS to be my repair boy because I know it can be a boring job, but you would be surprised how many people in TS are willing to do the job. If you get an engineer gunner, he should always be using the Armor vehicle perk. The driver should be using either Smoke, Warheads or Optical depending on what type of opposition you are facing and what you are trying to accomplish in that tank. Also I think it helps if the driver is engineer as well. When your gunner's repair tool overheats, he can jump back in and continue gunning while the driver jumps out and continues the repair. This can make a good tank team really difficult to defeat.
              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by usaf77 View Post

What rifles/weapons/loadouts do you make bread and butter on your infantry kits ?

Thanks in advance. S!
                I'd recomend to try most of the weapons and see what guns are best in different situations. What weapons excel in close quarters, medium range and long range combat? Usually you will also find an all around weapon (the safest choice).

If you expect to be in a particular combat situation (say close combat), you can choose your kit/weapon based on this information.

I myself like the Saiga, St.Aug, SAW and XM8-C for close combat, but this is just personal preference. Eventually you will find what works best for you :)

Here is a weapon damage chart for bc2: http://denkirson.xanga.com/722757523/bad-company-2/
                Last edited by Xianz_7; 03-13-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingKnee View Post
                  ... 3rd person view really helps with that.

... but I personally like to use cover to prevent the rockets from hitting the vehicle once traced. Availability of cover depends on the map, so just use your judgement.
                  I 2nd your view on 3rd person view.

Your tactic of using cover is why when I am targeting traced armor, I get a target lock-on signal from safety, then I always fire up in the air, usually in the direction of the tanks rear. The missile then flies off in that direction and curves around and hits the armor on the top from the direction of its retreat, delivering more damage than the aforementioned weak frontal attack against the main frontal armor and turret plating.

OR, I avoid the lock-on all together and use the "darted marker" on the map to get a direct shot on his treads, which works best in most cases anyway.

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                  Actually Zhohar and I noticed this too. If you take an RPG and fire it directly (90 degree angle) at the side of a tank it will do a lot of damage. But if you fire the rpg at even a slight angle at the same spot, it will do a lot less damage. I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are, but it might be half as much damage...
                  Yep, I can agree to the damage dropping by half at an angle, more or less. I play on 24/7 Atacama, Harvest and Heavy Metal servers that have 3D on, so I can see the amount of damage they take from my rounds. Each shot seems to vary with the dart, as the projectile may not hit solid as the vehicle moves. I also use Improved Demolitions Perk on my Engie kit, which can take more than half of its health with one well placed Carl without a dart. I might get less than a quarter with a shot that deflects high, but I do better to aim for the treads directly in any case.

and YES! to what DrBeat says about never stay still for long, I constantly see 3-7 players all group together behind one piece of solid cover. Low spots in the terrain is better cover than getting behind that rock with the everyone else waiting for the the mortars. I also plan for my next cover position before leaving the one I'm at.
                  theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                  E Pluribus Unum
                  Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Good stuff in this thread....

On perks, I usually run either alt fire or improved reload. Alt fire isn't the best perk... you can run out of ammo, and it is only marginally useful if you have a gunner in your tank or APC. I will admit that I almost always switch over to it if I know I'll be running toward the UAV, since it's a great infantry harassment tool with the secondary MG equipped. It's also a great tool in the Bradley, as it gives you an anti-vehicle missile that's comparable to the Hellfire.

The improved reload is great for turning the tide in 1 vs. 1 tank battles, and it's great to improve your rate of fire in IFVs. You may opt for improved armor over this, but I think this is just a more fun, tangible perk.

I have tried several times to run optics, and I just can't do it. I am worthless when it comes to putting shells on a target when I'm zoomed in, and I haven't had the patience to learn the new sight picture.

By the way, I just (finally) picked this up on PC, so I look forward to seeing you all in the server. :row__736:
                    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

It may just be me but I love Improved warheads on a tank. With 1v1 tank fights this way you can take them down in a couple of hits, and less if someone has already rocketed them. Also, with improved warheads your tank turns into an infinite-ammo superpowered CG that can take down infantry like a boss.

Former TG-21st
                      Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                        It may just be me but I love Improved warheads on a tank. With 1v1 tank fights this way you can take them down in a couple of hits, and less if someone has already rocketed them. Also, with improved warheads your tank turns into an infinite-ammo superpowered CG that can take down infantry like a boss.
                        Didn't know it improved splash damage vs. infantry... hm, time to try this. I assume it makes IFV cannons more deadly as well?
                        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Wow! This thread is turning into a memorable one.

On another not I actually got booted from a server for "cheating" yesterday just cause I shot down a chopper with a tank gun. My skills are so "average" for somebody to look at my scores and think I was cheating is a laugh. I noticed there are a few servers where the hosts are fine with everyone as long as you dont kill them.

I had some good runs taking out smoke and keeping the armor moving, so I'm leaning that route. I had a great run in a Bradley on that terrific island map, what is it again? I think it was a Bradley but whatever it is the thing is faster in the water then on land. Thats a great map for conquest but usually Ive only seen it for Rush.

Ive noticed good chopper pilots can really help a team.

Comment

Originally posted by usaf77 View Post
                            Any tips and clues from you experienced BC2'ers ?

Regarding tanks? What specializations do you find work best for them ? I find that while I like magnification on my main gun, its really not necessary on these maps. And, if anything, it hurts you cause you now have to learn two trajectories.

So, and I'm a new SSGT, I'll take out smoke. But smoke doesn't always work against ATMs and darts. So now that Ive earned the drivers MG I like to take that out cause you cant beat a good machine gun. I hate taking a tank out alone so's I'll often wait for a 2nd. However a 2nd doesn't always help, that is if you get a bad second.

Any other load out info would be helpful. Be it chopper, vehicle, infantry.

Last night I tanked with a squadie while on TS-3. Totally different game with squads in tune and communicating. We ratched up loads of kills, forcing every enemy tank to come after us.

Is there any way to limit mortar attacks ? The damage they cause ?

Thanks in advance. S!
                            My tip would be to try out all the guns and stick to one that suits you best. It might not be the "best" gun, but just stay with it and when you platinum that, switch to another one.
                            For me at least it is just about learning the gun you are using, how many shots does it take to down an opponent? How fast does it reload? Should I burst or spray? etc.

As for tanks, I always use the alternative fire perk, charge right in and get blown up, I am not very good with vehicles... :)
                            "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                              Good stuff in this thread....
                              The improved reload is great for turning the tide in 1 vs. 1 tank battles, and it's great to improve your rate of fire in IFVs. You may opt for improved armor over this, but I think this is just a more fun, tangible perk.
                              The best for turning the tide in 1v1 tank battle is warhead.
                              Warhead>Reload
                              Warhead>Armor
                              Warhead/Armor>Warhead

In a tight environment (panama canal) or when defending on rush best perk for me is Sensor.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X