Community Feedback Requested: Port Valdez - Conquest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Feedback Requested: Port Valdez - Conquest

It has been suggested that we consider removing the Conquest version of this map from the rotation. The BC2 admins have been discussing it a bit, but we wanted to get your thoughts on it!

The general reason behind the proposal is that conquest-mode just doesn't work well with an extremely narrow, choke-point-filled map like this. It seems that in a majority of games, whichever team wins the initial fight for Bravo wins the round ... due to the choke-points north and south of the central flag [Bravo]. The gameplay is even worse when the US doesn't win Bravo, because the C<->B choke-point has almost no cover and is half the width of the A<->B choke-point.

So what do you think? Get bored on this map in? Like the map? Worth keeping because it has attack-helo's? Worth it just for the variety? Don't care either way?

(Remember, the two Rush-mode rounds on the map aren't going anywhere - this discussion is only about this Port Valdez in Conquest mode)

For reference: The Russians start in the North, and US forces start in the South. Alpha flag is north, Bravo is in the middle, and Charlie to the South
    I'd like to see it stay in the rotation
    22.86%
    I don't care one way or the other.
    25.71%
    I'd like to see it removed from the rotation.
    51.43%

Re: Community Feedback Requested: Port Valdez - Conquest

(I created a poll - it's not a binding referendum or anything - just a general way to keep track of opinions)

Comment

I personally don't care as I feel that games on this map are sometimes interesting, but I am surprised that someone asked for this to be removed not Heavy Metal, which is the worst map in the history of games, ever.

Former TG-21st
      Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

IMO this is the most poorly implemented map released by DICE. Very linear, harder to break through than on Heavy Metal and inspires more frustration than good rounds and teamwork. I would like to see this map removed from the rotation.

Comment

I agree with Mac. Heavy Metal tends to be a server killer also.

Comment

The map was made with that in mind IMO ( the choke points are on each side of B). The only reason the team can't push through their first objective and into B would mainly be because it takes a coordinated team push to be able to do it or the very least 1 person/squad to sneak around B to hit the other objective. Tanks is the best thing in this map in taking or protecting B. Smoking up the choke points helps in moving up as well. For the most part the thing that leads to B being hard to get after the opposing teams sets up a tough defense is because the team is trickling in in grps of 2-3 sometimes by themselves and just dying. Granted going from A to B is alot easier than doing it from C to B (as stated in the first post).

Voted "I'd like to see it stay in the rotation"...

Comment

Zenchi, the question you have to ask is, all things remaining equal, how often can a coordinated offense break a coordinated defense on B? If you say 50/50, then the map is balanced. I have seen few arguments that say that it's 50/50.

Comment

I always leave the TG server when I see these maps coming up:
                - Heavy Metal anything
                - Valdez Conquest

Less often, but still consistently:
                - Oasis Rush
                - Harvest Day Rush
                - Cold War rush

Comment

hahahaha, I actually like Heavy Metal a lot! Feels like a BF2 map.

Lots of options = win.

Same thing every. single. round. = lose.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                    hahahaha, I actually like Heavy Metal a lot! Feels like a BF2 map.

Lots of options = win.

Same thing every. single. round. = lose.
                    If I am going for an open-map feel then I like Harvest Day conq. It offers wipe open spaces for tank battles, but allows ridges/other cover for running around from flag to flag. Heavy Metal is completely wide open spaces with trees on the edge just begging random people to run up and snipe (which you usually end up with 1/2 the players snipers), as well as linear placed flags offering little variability in strategy.

Former TG-21st
                    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Maybe if we made an option just for Port Valdez to use Attack Chopper as transport?

IMO TG server ratio Rush to Conquest need adjusting. If we play 2 rounds of rush on a map we should do the same for Conquest or 1 round of rush and one round conquest.
                      sigpic

Comment

Voting to kill, and strongly opposing to Ostry's suggestion (of using the attack chopper as transport). If you need to make a rule exception for this one map to make it fun (or even simply functional), maybe it's time to play on a different map.

I completely agree with the suggestion of upping the number of Conquest maps, though.
                        Last edited by Cheburash; 03-23-2011, 11:05 AM. Reason: clarified which suggestion I was opposing

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                        --BlackMirror
                        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                        --Blackraven93

Comment

Ok how is taking a flag any different (on the same narrow map) than destroying MCOMM?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PL_OSTRY View Post
                            Ok how is taking a flag any different (on the same narrow map) than destroying MCOMM?
                            Ostry, I'm not sure whether you're responding to me, but I went back and clarified my comment. I was specifically objecting to Valdez in Conquest mode, because:

1) Whether the attackers win or lose, that stage of Valdez tends to be the focus for less time on Rush than on Conquest.
                            2) Both MCOM locations could be destroyed remotely -- I believe this is still true for one.
                            3) There is no passive resistance option available to defenders on Rush. The mere presence of a number of defenders in the cap radius is sufficient to prevent the capture of a flag in Conquest.

I'll also throw in one that can be argued about, but in my opinion...
                            4) Pushing onto B from the North (A->B on Conquest) is easier than pushing from the South.

Which is not to say that I'm a big fan of Valdez Rush, either. I'd prefer to see both scrapped, but if it was a choice between the two, I'd much sooner wish Valdez Conquest gone.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                            --BlackMirror
                            <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                            Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                            --Blackraven93

Comment

This map is bad because it is completely unbalanced. The Russians are at a substantial disadvantage because of the following reasons:

1. It feels like they are physically farther from the B flag then the US side but that might be inaccurate.
                              2. They are fighting up hill on the approach to B with zero natural cover.
                              3. They have a much smaller chokepoint entering B than the US side does.

Any time this map is played where the teams are fairly balanced, in my experience, the US side almost always wins.

That being said, in my opinion playing this map is not nearly as annoying as some of the other maps in rotation. At least it's just conquest and only 150 tickets. Rounds aren't that long. To me, the first two stages of Oasis rush and Harvest Day rush are the least fun maps to play and I routinely leave the server when they come up.
                              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X