[17.APR.2011] Server Update: Pre-round Timer Increased Slightly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [17.APR.2011] Server Update: Pre-round Timer Increased Slightly

Your friendly neighborhood admin team has given a 30-second bump to the pre-round timer. Please use these seconds to get your squad and your team a little more coordinated before the ensuing chaos.

• What's the first objective?
    • Which squad is going where?
    • Who's manning the vehicle assets? (Got engy?)
    • Have meds/ammo/motion-sensors in your squad?

As always, your feedback is appreciated.

Re: [17.APR.2011] Server Update: Pre-round Timer Increased Slightly

.... alternatively, consider using this time for a biobreak and beverage-reload:

Originally posted by JimmyTwoHand
    About 40-45 seconds. Generally i can pop to the bog and grab a beer comfortably, even a cuba libre or moscow mule is no sweat. That gives me a minute or so of the commander countdown left.

A long island iced tea is doable if i let the toilet break go as is a margarita. Singapore slings are a little more complex. To complete one requires the use of the death spawner to sprint to the kitchen and line up bottles and squeeze some lemons and limes mid game. Load time is used to compile everything but even then it only gives a 5-10sec reserve in case of blender difficulties. I generally stay away from the more complex styles of cocktails while SL'ing.

If I do something ambitious like the above for multiple rounds i normally go for a smalller cocktail in a martini glass. At least that way i do not strain my bladder unduly until the next time i fancy something simple and can fit a toilet run into the same load. Tactical drinking i call it.

:D
    Last edited by WhiskeySix; 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
      .... alternatively, consider using this time for a biobreak and beverage-reload:

:D
      I admire JimmyTwoHand for his ambitious beverage plans, but a shot of Jameson's, neat, is really quickest.

And I like the increase in pre-load time. I've been noticing squads making rough plans for objectives, flag responsibilities, etc. It's been nice.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

I like the increase. I also like a longer respawn timer (yeah I know people hate it and it has been linked to reduced player counts on our server). It would be nice if players valued their life a bit more.

Comment

I don't mind the longer round start timer because it's only a minute, but honestly it's mostly time spent twiddling our thumbs.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
            I don't mind the longer round start timer because it's only a minute, but honestly it's mostly time spent twiddling our thumbs.
            You can put on a little maid dress and serve me drinks in that one minute.
            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
              You can put on a little maid dress and serve me drinks in that one minute.
              You're getting nothing but shirley temples from me until you turn 21 brah
              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

1 month brosef stalin.
                Skud

Comment

More time between rounds is essential for healthy gaming. Prolonged, uninterrupted sitting while gaming is not good.

There are good reasons, beyond the game itself, for more time between games.

Well done!

And besides, it provides us with all the OMG WAHTS WIT THE 30SEC WAIT **&&%!! comments from the overstimulated generation.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                    1 month brosef stalin.
                    Where the party at?!?!?
                    sigpic

Comment

I guess I'll be the first to provide some not-so-positive thoughts.

Before I begin, I support the intention: provide time to discuss tactics, and to increase the value of life. However, due to map limitations and the relatively fast pace of the game, respectively, the affects of these changes don't make as significant of an impact as intended, unfortunately.

I recall the TG server trying this in the past. My post is based on my observations during that time period. At first, the increased pre-round spawn timer worked beautifully. We discussed squad load outs, how to focus the attack/defense, all the good stuff. During the next 2 weeks, however, the pre-round communication degraded. On conquest, if the map was linear, we simply pushed for the middle flag. Otherwise, focus on the non-closest flag. On rush maps, we either attack A or B, not much to it unfortunately. Make the non-destructible a priority. When that's done, go for the destructible. If we can't get it, destroy with rockets. At first, we communicated this. After getting to know the maps, it basically was assumed. On defense, it was simple. Push forward to create a line. In both cases, any adjustments were made once the round had already started. With only 2 realistic options available, pre-round tactics were rather limited. At best, we could discuss kit selection.

As for increasing the respawn timer, it would have to be significant to have the intended effect. Increasing the spawn timer 3-5 extra seconds didn't change how people played in the game. Players continued their previous playstyle, just less frequently. However, increasing it a larger amount falls into the gray area of going against the natural grain of the game. With destructible environments and small maps, speed appears to be more of an asset than caution.

I am admittedly a fast paced, aggressive player. Obviously, what I just said plays into my style. However, my argument is not based on greedy intentions, but again on my observations. After some time, players no longer discussed pre-round tactics. Longer spawn times did not change mentalities. I believe these changes have to come from the players themselves, willing to make that change. We can make use of our time to discuss what we need to do. We can choose to place a higher value on our life. In fact, about a month or 2 ago, after talking to some IHS members, I tried playing a slower pace game, to see if I can alter my gameplay. I wanted to become a better player. I think if we want to strive for better tactics, we as a community can do a much more effective job at achieving this end than by changing the server configurations. We just need to speak up. Speak up in TS. *Positively* challenge our members and the community. Encourage them to be better players.

That being said, I do have every intention of playing on the BC2 servers with just as much frequency as I did before (although Portal 2 may affect that). I'm hoping the plan works out. I hope to see the TG server as the premiere tactical server.

Comment

great feed back, thanks guys :)

(Note: to avoid any confusion, I'd like to mention that we're NOT actively thinking about making any changes to the spawn-delay. The 20 seconds it's always been seems to be working pretty well.)

Comment

delay only give me enough time to sing one love ballad to Project.

on a less serious note, i can see how the spawn timer could be beneficial when we have an active TG night. When its half public players things get little testy in chat and hardly any seem to want to join ts with us. i instigate most of it out of boredom tho! :P

Comment

I had always enjoyed the long pre-round time period here at TG, the full minute we had in other titles was still pretty short for us old people. I would also hope that we are not being influenced by players who think that an extra twenty seconds of wait is wasting their time. omg, its a game, it is supposed to be an enjoyable period of time.

... and keep inviting everyone to join TS between rounds . . . even if you can get one to join in a year, it is worth it. You would be surprised at how many people do want to play as a team, yet have never had the team to play with. IMO, most players are used to being on their own in video games because they have never basked the sweet glow of teamwork on the battlefield. Once they have seen the light, they will be back, it is more addicting than heroine.
                            theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                            E Pluribus Unum
                            Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                            Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed