On All-in-One TS Channel Use (Again)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On All-in-One TS Channel Use (Again)

Last night or the night before Dr. Beat directed a question to me in Team chat as to why I was sitting alone in a squad channel.

It was a fair question, and indeed a kind expression, in as much saying, 'come on over and join us!' I certainly appreciated the acknowledgement (not to suggest that that I was feeling in any way hard done by the group).

I thought the issue desired further expansion here in the BF2 forum, so ...

As I have expressed in other threads, I very much prefer a dedicated squad channel, even if that means sitting alone in that channel.

This preference must not be taken as a criticism of other people's choice for an all-in-one channel. There are very good reasons for that choice, as there is plenty of justification of my choice (and again I wish to make it very clear that I do not consider Dr. Beat's invitation to be a criticism of my actions).

Often I will start out in the all-in-one channel and participate in the group sharing of intel, then migrate to a separate TS channel. I find this keeps me in touch with the community and provides diversity of game-experience.

Why would I choose to sit alone in a TS channel?

Suffice it to say that I myself operate more efficiently and effectively in a squad-dedicated channel.

It is also a matter of an aesthetic choice. Fourteen people talking in my earphones degrades my experience of the game's soundscape. It is also harder on my ears (which are twice as old as some of the participants...). I need to keep the volume very low to keep my ears from ringing the next day.

I know that some might be concerned that by operating in a separate TS channel that I am degrading the team's performance. This is not the case, as I actually score much higher when I am in a cleaner TS channel. For others the case is exactly the opposite, of course, and understandably so.
    sigpic

Re: On All-in-One TS Channel Use (Again)

Do you talk to yourself in your one man squad channel?

Comment

I hear you will go blind?

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'll join you next time I see you by your lonesome :) That's if I can get in your squad. Gotta have some communication in the game. Makes it more enjoyfull, that and I agree the all in one channel maybe easier and nice to have a wide spectrum of knowledge of whats going on in the battlefield but it can be counter productive as idle chatter, joking goofing off and multiple side discussions can get annoying albeit sometimes funny :)

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Jokes aside... it is indeed pretty darn annoying when everyone is in the same channel. There are still PLENTY of players that have urgent needs to express to everyone in the channel how they can't believe that guy killed him, how someone was being a jerk because he wouldn't drop an ammo kit, and other non-important things that [honestly] NO ONE cares about! Not only that.... but we're TACTICAL gamers; there's not much tactical gaming going on when everyone is in the same channel.

[ Official 3rd Special Forces Detachment (SFD) Member ]

Comment

Up to a certain point, determined by the number of players, I quite like it when we're all in one group. When there are less than 5 on a side, and we're basically just seeding, it's crucial that we all be in one channel to practice defib kills and do physics experiments involving testing the ballistics characteristics of the ever-popular "vehicle mine train detonation."

Even once we actually start playing, the all in one channel isn't bad, up to a point.

I think, at least for most of us who came up through BF2 and/or BF2142, we really miss the squad-based chatter available VOIP in-game. The other night I was in a squad with Zo and 2 other TG folks (can't remember for the life of me who there were) and we went to a separate channel. Nice, tight comms really do enhance this game, quite a bit.

Now, with that being said, I'm amazed at how well squads to at maintaining inter-squad comms, when one side is in the TS channel - all squads are sharing one channel, but the 2 sides are in separate Team 1/Team 2 channels in TS. I recognize most player's voices, and even with the other chatter, CONTACT reports, and yes, "Dang it! My hit registration sucks tonight!" - I've been guilty of that on occasion - pay attention the next time you play and see how we maintain both inter-squad, as well as intra-squad comms during a game. Most of the time.

What was my point? I'm rambling at this point...

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

All in one chan is useful for communicating squad actions to other squads and chitchat - Other than that, it is crap. Telling your squadmate to look behind them is a distraction and is not entertaining. Telling a joke is a distraction but at least it is entertaining. I like a little bit of chitchat/smacktalk when the action is low, and informing other squads what is going on.

If you are talking to a single person in your squad like you are in a squad in 2124 then you should be in a squad channel.

Rule of thumb: What would it sound like if we all talked as much as you? if the answer is noisy, then plz shush.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I totally understand the affinity for squad channels (I like them too). I just saw you all alone and figured I'd pop in and say hi. :)

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                  I totally understand the affinity for squad channels (I like them too). I just saw you all alone and figured I'd pop in and say hi. :)
                  And indeed that is exactly how I perceived your kindness!
                  sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X