Are we crazy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we crazy?

Are there any servers out there with the same settings as ours? FF on, no red dots, but not actually HC?

I Love how our server is set up, but I am surprised that it seems like it is the only one with the same settings as ours.

1. FF=ON. Why anyone wants to play with FF off is beyond me.

2. HC-OFF. Hardcore mode makes people way too easy to kill.

3. No Red dots. Removing the red dots was a good move, I miss them sometimes, but I understand that having the red dots above you KILLs any sort of tactical maneuvering.

These three settings are really what set our server apart. Are we alone? Are we crazy? How come ALL of the other servers are not like ours?

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Re: Are we crazy?

FF on setting is not very common among public servers but you can find it. The setting that really sets us apart from other non-hardcore servers is 3D spotting off. I have yet to see another non-hardcore server that had that turned off.
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

All this is true.

What also sets TG apart:
      Racism=Off
      Homophobia=Off
      Misogyny=Off
      Rudeness=Off
      Immaturity=Mostly Off (wink)
      Respect=On
      Friendly=On
      Advanced Teamwork=On
      Excellent Admins=On
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
        All this is true.

What also sets TG apart:
        Racism=Off
        Homophobia=Off
        Misogyny=Off
        Rudeness=Off
        Respect=On
        Friendly=On
        Advanced Teamwork=On
        Excellent Admins=On
        "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to E-Male again."

Comment

EDIT: On second thought, nvm that might not go over well.

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectNA View Post
            "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to E-Male again."
            +1

Comment

I had a couple servers that had identical settings to TG serv 1 in both main and viet version but sadly they either got taken down or have changed...

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
                These three settings are really what set our server apart. Are we alone? Are we crazy? How come ALL of the other servers are not like ours?
                Try going on a random server with FF on and 3D spotting on. 50% of the time you'll get teamkilled by nades,CGs and 40mms, the other 50% you'll get killed for 'taking someones tank/uav/chopper' etc.

You can't have the same settings as the TG server and have the same enjoyable gameplay at the same time just because the player base is much different (look @E-male's post)
                ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                  Racism=Off
                  Homophobia=Off
                  Misogyny=Off
                  Rudeness=Off
                  Respect=On
                  Friendly=On
                  Advanced Teamwork=On
                  Excellent Admins=On
                  This should be the new server welcome!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix. View Post
                    Try going on a random server with FF on and 3D spotting on. 50% of the time you'll get teamkilled by nades,CGs and 40mms, the other 50% you'll get killed for 'taking someones tank/uav/chopper' etc.

You can't have the same settings as the TG server and have the same enjoyable gameplay at the same time just because the player base is much different (look @E-male's post)
                    Lets not let our love of our community get in the way of reasonable discussion. I like TG as much as the next guy, but sometimes posts like yours and E-males, make us look like a bunch of self-satisfied, holier than thou elitist jerks. I know that is not the intention of any of us.

Is the player base really that different from us? My gut says no, but I could very well be wrong.

I have been a part of other games and communities that had similar game-play goals at TG. I have always played FF=on servers. FF=on servers were fairly popular in bf2. I noticed fewer and fewer of them as the years went on. 2142 had a decent number of FF=on servers the first 6 months of release. Then they all disappeared but for TG and 1 or 2 others. BC2 has almost no FF=ON servers other than the hardcore, which I just hate... It is a shame.

FF=on is the one game setting that really makes games interesting and separates the skilled players from the spammers.

I guess most of the people that like FF=ON are playing hardcore mode in BC2. Bleh, I hate the damage models and lack of minimap for hardcore....

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Is the player base really that different from us? My gut says no, but I could very well be wrong.
                      Between TG and 'pubbie' (largely unmoderated public) servers, yes. But I imagine you have in mind more controlled, moderated servers with consistent members that form a community around that server (?).

Judging from 6 years of seeing people arrive at TG from various forms of servers and communities, I would tentatively say yes. And I think there is a structural reason for this.

Few other gaming servers have a comparable structure of administration and rigorous code of ethics.

This is not that same as claiming that TG players are better than others (and I know you did not make this claim!).

But the rigorous structure clearly serves to reduce douchebaggery on the servers.

Perhaps a similar player base with a rigorously implemented code of ethics and zero tolerance for jerks serves not to attract 'better' players so much as eliminate the worst.
                      sigpic

Comment

You bring up a good point, I think I'll try some modified servers that have FF on and see how the experience differs. I remember playing BF2 and 2142 where intentional TK'ing was somewhat common: if you failed to give ammo or meds, you'd get TK'ed for your kit, if you saw an open vehicle you'd get TK'ed so someone else could use it, things like that. It's been a while since then, so I can't say it's the same now.

I think the one thing that separates us, though, is the lack of 3D spotting. Outside of the spawn time, it's the most frequent comment about our server settings ("IS THIS HARDCORE?"). Personally, I think it brings our gameplay to a different level. Most normal-mode players fail to realize how dependent they are on the red triangles. They just aren't as effective at shooting something that's highlighted for them. At the same time, I think having non-hardcore damage places a greater emphasis on better aim, patience, and maneuvering skills since players can absorb a couple extra bullets.

Comment

Yea there are probably a few other large player bases but the only two good ones I have ever used are TG (the best) and E (good for off-hours when no TG guys are on).

Former TG-21st
                          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Aside from certain structural characteristics of TG which may be rarely encountered there is also the transformative effect of TG's community. Many players here have said such things as "TG has changed the way I play."

It could be argued that differences arise between player bases due to the transformative character of different types of structures in community design.
                            sigpic

Comment

It is indeed strange to play on a FF=off server, as a few of us did last week on a short pubbie run. Just strange being able to fire at will, regardless of whether teammates are near or not.

In general, I don't think we're crazy, but given the nature of BC2, being geared from the outset as more of a console- and quick game-oriented platform, rather than PC- and squadplay-oriented, it is indeed stranger that we play with the settings we have. BC2 is a "Battlefield" game in name only. The return of squadplay in BF3 I'm betting will see more servers out there with more "mature" (not necessarily better) settings.

I don't mind HC so much, if you can find a server that isn't 90+% sniper. It really does make you more keen to seek cover as you advance on objectives.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X