This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive vs Negative Team Chatter

I have been hearing much negative team chatter of late. Not directed towards me, but often and indeed, almost every night.

We need to work on positive reinforcement, gentle suggestions, and polite requests as opposed to open criticism, whining and complaints about the behaviour of others.

Aside from the occasional frayed nerves and testy moments (and this is not what I have in mind) there is no need for the negative.

It brings me down. It certainly must affect others.

Too often I hear something phrased in the negative when it could just as readily be framed as a simple request or suggestion (and I know I am not entirely innocent here either).

People go online with us to have fun or they leave.

Respectful, polite, and considerate comms will grow the TG community and attract the best, and bring out the best within us.

Let us not mention names or single anyone out in this matter.

Let's simply keep in mind that a community's spirit is fragile, easily poisoned, and is difficult to mend.
    sigpic

Re: Positive vs Negative Team Chatter

I totally agree. <3 TG.
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Wholeheartedly thirded. I will add that positive communication isn't just about presenting our best face to any visitors, it also wins games. Morale is hugely important in BC2, and having a motivated team can often mean that last push that gets the MCOM, or flips that crucial flag.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
      --BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
      --Blackraven93

Comment

Laughing is where it's at. All the cool kids are doing it.

Comment

I laugh at Whiskey all the time...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
            Laughing is where it's at. All the cool kids are doing it.
            Is that positive laughter, or negative? ;)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
            --BlackMirror
            <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
            Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
            --Blackraven93

Comment

I agree... I don't hear it that often, but negative team chatter and whining really puts me off playing.

If you're encountering a lot of enemy traffic or a new attack, etc., a well-worded contact report will do the job much better than whining that the team is not focused on the area in question. It's important to remember that most of the time, we have maybe one or two TG-capable squads. There will always be those random separated squads and lone-wolf folks out there, ignoring the objectives.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

E-Male, if you notice that the source of complaining and overall negative team chatter is coming from the same individuals every time, I think it would be a good idea to send individual PMs to those people kindly asking them to consider their attitudes on TS and how it might be affecting other people's experience. I imagine many people do not frequent these forums very often and therefore would miss a general thread like this one and others simply do not realize they are the source of such negative team chatter so in those cases it would be helpful to be more direct.

But if you do in fact mean to address everybody because you see the negativity coming from all angles then forget everything I just said.
                "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Voodoo.

PMs are certainly useful. I posted here as an occasional group discussion of the matter is also effective. I have witnessed (and instigated) this subject as a reoccurring one in the TG forums since 2005.

Along with direct PMs, an occasional return to the issue in TGs forums goes along way to keeping the weeds from choking the garden.
                  sigpic

Comment

"Negative team chatter" i am guilty of that as 95% of other Tg'er here, but not last night :). It comes in pair with imbalanced teams, we all know that and last night was a perfect example of that. One team dominated entire evening, some rounds were close (mostly on Rush) but most were not. I play almost every day and this is the case more often then not. As proof we have multiple threads about imbalanced teams and negative chatter. Some how we always came to conclusion that there is no fix for that, but i think there is and this is perfect time to give it a shot. Its simple RANDOMIZE TEAMS each round. Surly it won't work each and every round but at least you not going to be stuck for the rest of the evening with half a team of whiners, snipers, campers, K/D ratio enthusiast and all sorts of "weeds" whom tend to ruin the "garden".
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PL_OSTRY View Post
                      Its simple RANDOMIZE TEAMS each round. Surly it won't work each and every round but at least you not going to be stuck for the rest of the evening with half a team of whiners, snipers, campers, K/D ratio enthusiast and all sorts of "weeds" whom tend to ruin the "garden".
                      I'm not sure why, but I really don't like the idea of randomizing teams every round. Maybe it's because I enjoy the continuity of playing multiple rounds with the same squad when you have a great squad going. I also can't imagine the nightmare of having to sort out TS channels after every randomization.

Randomizing teams doesn't guarantee that the teams will be fair, only that you won't be able to point fingers and create teamstacking threads anymore. To me, the best solution remains for everybody to be aware of the server environment and vigilant in maintaining a server that's fun to play on. If you perceive a major imbalance, then act on it and help the other team out. Doesn't matter if you're the best shooter at TG or not, anyone who is willing to communicate and work together is always a welcome addition.
                      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by PL_OSTRY View Post
                        Its simple RANDOMIZE TEAMS each round. .
                        I agree, I have mentioned it myself many times ... and the idea keeps being brought up every time the subject of unbalanced teams comes up, yet it causes too many problems with teamspeak.
                        theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                        E Pluribus Unum
                        Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                        Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

What voodoo said :) My memorable in game moments tend to trend towards multiple rounds with a squad that is clicking on all cylinders, despite the results at the end of the round.
                          sigpic

Comment

E-Male, were you refering to the poor chap that asked why the game start time was so long and we gave him grief. That was in chat and if so I'm guilty for putting in my two cents also. I wasn't in TeamSpeak last night so dont know what was going on in there.

Comment

I am not sure I won one round last night. I still had fun. I may have even (OK I'm sure I) made some sarcastic comments, but I also kept trying. My squadmates and teammates kept trying as well. You never know when the momentum will shift, sometimes it just takes one person leaving or one person showing up or both. if its painful, go take a break, you may open up a spot for that magic person that either through skill or communication or both helps the team coagulate.

I don't always remember the win or lose, but I do remember my squadmates and my teammates, and how hard we tried.

As always, please check Teamspeak when you join and if possible, join the team that has less people in TS. its not the perfect measure, but at least the comms will balance out. If I am on a team with good comms, but we don't win so much, that's still a great time because you feel like you have a shot.

I believe there is a fine line between 'hey lets go!' or 'get on the flag radius!' and what can be perceived as negative statements, its all in the person's tone and approach, but I'm sure we know what crosses that line when we see it. To VooDoo's important point, the person doing it may not even realize they are doing it, since that line is pretty grey on our server, since for the most part the people that read this forum are competitive, want to win, and have certain expectations (hopes?) of their squadmates and teammates. A quick PM is a great way to target that raised awareness. Not saying blanket statements are useless, but your ROI on a PM is vastly higher.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X