Randomizing Teams (Redux)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randomizing Teams (Redux)

Might as well carry this conversation on in its own thread...

Randomizing teams is counterproductive for those who work in squads with specific others as a choice -- something that is very much part of the TG experience.

Sometimes, I am not here just to play, or just to play with TGers, I am here to play with a particular group of people in my/our squad (and I know this is true for others).

Randomization would undermine the 'right to choose' who one plays with, albeit a unwritten right, but one that I think comes or should come with a TG membership.

This is not to say that I do not randomly join a squad. Much of the time I do just that.

But when I specifically desire to play in a squad with so and so, I would expect TG to respect that and to provide an environment that facilitates that type of choice.

Unbalanced teams are the exception to the rule.

They are also a test of character -- to struggle against overwhelming odds.

They are also a fact of life.

I do not think we should necessarily strive for complete equality in team balance.

Randomizing squads would kill the opportunity to learn to preserve in the face of overwhelming odds.

There is much to be learned in losing.
    sigpic

Re: Randomizing Teams (Redux)

TG, in one train of though, exists to play with their friends. As long as they keep balance in mind, no admin is ever going to tell players "you're not allowed to play with x because you create an imbalance."

In general, I expect all TG players to play on the side they are assigned to. If the games are balanced and they don't think their switching is going to hurt their team, they can switch to play with a friend. If the games are imbalanced, and I mean actually imbalanced (not just one team winning), I expect TG members to give it thought and try and fix the situation. "Would I help the other team if I switched?" Almost always the answer is yes.

In the end, winning is not everything. But everyone should be aware of the impact they have on the server and the impact they could have on a team struggling.

I don't believe in randomization. The other night I played on a Vietnam server with about 4 or 5 other TG. While we still had fun, it created some terrible rounds. Rounds were mostly one side or the other, with little room for much balance. We made it work, because usually 2 would end up on one side and 3 of us would end up on the other. So we still had fun - but as far as the rest of the server? Can't say many of them were having fun half the time.
    Skud

Comment

I rest my case because the locked thread contain all i think about randomization and i am not big fan of repeats if you know what i mean.
      E-Male if you feel that i hijacked your thread i apologize, it wasn't intentional as i feel that negative talk comes directly from imbalance.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PL_OSTRY View Post
        I rest my case because the locked thread contain all i think about randomization and i am not big fan of repeats if you know what i mean.
        E-Male if you feel that i hijacked your thread i apologize, it wasn't intentional as i feel that negative talk comes directly from imbalance.
        No no, PL_OSTRY -- I have great respect for your views (and your tremendous skill as a gamer). I locked the thread not because of what anyone said, only to facilitate further discussion of this particular issue, if desired.

You are correct to observe that negative talk can derive from unbalanced teams, but it also has many unrelated sources, of course.

No apology on you part is necessary!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
          The other night I played on a Vietnam server with about 4 or 5 other TG. While we still had fun, it created some terrible rounds. Rounds were mostly one side or the other, with little room for much balance. We made it work, because usually 2 would end up on one side and 3 of us would end up on the other. So we still had fun - but as far as the rest of the server? Can't say many of them were having fun half the time.
          Vietnam! Why do I always miss V play??

I really need to get you guys on my Friends List...

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X