SOP Refresher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOP Refresher

Returning from vacation and returning to squad leading I have enjoyed a great week of excellent team work.

A few reminders on some standard operating procedures when in E-Male's squad:

1) I'm Down
    Always call out when you are fragged, preferably including your name: "E-Male down". This lets the squad leader know the status of squad members (available force) and enemy activity. It also alerts the medic for more immediate revive. It is also helpful to let the squad know the name of your killer IF he or she is known to run with an effective team (the 70th, for example) -- this provides intell on the nature of the enemy force.

2) Medics to the Rear
    If you are the only medic in the squad stay to the rear of the squad or front line.

3) Call for retreat
    If it is obvious that the squad is facing an overwhelming force, immediately recommend a retreat to the squad leader. Do not issue the order, recommend the action.

4) Request permission to move off an assigned area
    You know your immediate situation better than the squad leader. If you see a better forward or flanking position, request permission to move before moving. This helps feed intell to the squad leader and keeps him informed of your intentions and situation.

I am not suggesting that these SOPs are the best or are suited to all players and IHS -- they just represent the way I operate a squad.

Further notes on the TG-UN SOPs can be found here.

Thanks again for all those who put up with my squad leading. Note that when you join my squad I do not expect you to stay in all evening, but I will remain in my own TS channel when squad leading and will require any squad members to join the same TS channel while in the squad. I cannot operate effectively as a squad leader in the group TS channel (note how the 70th will often be in their own TS channel -- this speaks volumes of the utility of squad-based TS channels).

And what happened to the multiple TS squad channels -- who decided that only 2 squad TS channels is best for teamwork and squad development?
    sigpic

Re: SOP Refresher

Since there is no defined squad leader in the game, how do we know we are in your squad vs when you are in ours? What I mean is a lot of squads are not run by a leader, but more by group consensus or leader of the moment. Is it safe to assume if you START the squad you will lead it but if you JOIN the squad you will refrain from trying to lead it?

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
      Since there is no defined squad leader in the game, how do we know we are in your squad vs when you are in ours? What I mean is a lot of squads are not run by a leader, but more by group consensus or leader of the moment. Is it safe to assume if you START the squad you will lead it but if you JOIN the squad you will refrain from trying to lead it?
      Excellent question!

I'll make it clear when I am acting as SL. I do not step up as SL in an existing squad without first asking. If I am in a separate TS channel I'll do my best to remind newcomers that they are in my squad channel.

My methods are not meant as a criticism of the group consensus or leader-of-the-moment methods, which have their unique benefits.
      sigpic

Comment

I would argue that unless the squad leader is able to also hear the rest of the team, and include received intelligence in the decision making process for their squad, that excluding 1/4th of the team from receiving critical communication may not be outweighed by the benefits of increased squad efficiency in relation to the success of the entire team.

Comment

Originally posted by Dismay View Post
          I would argue that unless the squad leader is able to also hear the rest of the team, and include received intelligence in the decision making process for their squad, that excluding 1/4th of the team from receiving critical communication may not be outweighed by the benefits of increased squad efficiency in relation to the success of the entire team.
          Hmm, well, it must be recognized that such a claim is not an evidence-based claim. Furthermore, isolated squad channels are hardly new to BC2 (the 70th as an example here). So the available evidence, or at least the tradition of BC2 here at TG, suggests that squad-only TS channels have been deployed by some of the finest IHS of TG.

There are many benefits that come with isolated squad comms, and much intell about the team's situation and the enemy's movements can be garnered from the minimap. The minimap can tell me when a squad has been defeated at a flag, when an sector needs reinforcing, were the enemy is massed, what our front line is, and much more.

You are correct to qualify your concern with the key word "may" as without strong evidence to support such a contention, and with clear, known benefits to isolated squad comms, the best that could be said is "may". Thus I'll continue to use what has served me well for the past 6 years here at TG -- a squad-based comm channel.

A better squad is a contribution to a better team and my squad leading and my squad's effectiveness always improves when comms are not continually disrupted with extraneous information or "behind that tree" type of useless communication.
          sigpic

Comment

I will argue that 10-12 people in channel, with focused chatter as opposed to distracting chatter, is as good as a squad channel. I hesitate to say better or worse simply because it depends on the folks in the channel. It can be better for the real time updates you may miss as you focus on a particular objective, but in intense situations, it sure is nice just focusing on your squads needs.

In general I prefer team channels, but I have enjoyed some squad channels. I miss that about 2142 where you had in game squad channels and then a teamspeak team channel, with a commander helping to facilitate things.
            sigpic

Comment

Hello :)

This thread has sparhawkxx written all over it :) Please excuse my typing it sucks. I have been trying to catch up on rules and I'm going to start picking up more of the tactics. Coming from Counter Strike this is a whole differant ballgame. As a team captain I would control 8 people at a time and could handle more but the lingo was much much more lazy compared to BF. Also the maps are smaller and the plans are carried out in a short period of time without vehicles. 2 totally differant games which is making this so hard for me so please bare with me. When I learn this I will be a much stronger player.

I get so intimedated I freeze up and don't wanna make any mistakes resulting in doing nothing for my team. So far this has moved very fast for me and I will try to get on boared. I am a team player.

So far as working with more then 4 people in TS it can be done. Everyones comms just have to be just like the examples E-male gives. I see all of you doing this I just hope I can learn it.

So if you don't mind me joining your squad E-Male I just hope I can meet these standards. If not I understand. The lingo and point of direction is killing me :( I think I got about 3 months into the game by now maybe less so it will start clicking.

P.S. Just because I said the comms are lazy to me in CS is not a bad thing :) Just smaller game.

FUN FUN

Comment

Originally posted by Spur View Post
                I will argue that 10-12 people in channel, with focused chatter as opposed to distracting chatter, is as good as a squad channel. I hesitate to say better or worse simply because it depends on the folks in the channel. It can be better for the real time updates you may miss as you focus on a particular objective, but in intense situations, it sure is nice just focusing on your squads needs.

In general I prefer team channels, but I have enjoyed some squad channels. I miss that about 2142 where you had in game squad channels and then a teamspeak team channel, with a commander helping to facilitate things.
                It would be difficult to determine exactly what is the best method of squad/team communication, as Spur suggests. Fortunately, there are numerous options, small group with all of the team in one channel (very enjoyable at the start of the evenings), large group all in one channel (provides an opportunity for formal and informal command of the entire team), squad-only teamspeak channel, and so on. Mostly a matter of individual tastes and IHS preferences -- all useful.
                sigpic

Comment

sparhawkxx,

You are a great team player and always welcome in my squad. I'll do my best to keep the jargon to a minimum.

Orientation to compass points and local landmarks is hard in BC2 but gets easier with time.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey thanks E-male

You can use all the jargon you want I just would like to get used to it. If I can't learn it all I hope to learn some to help the game along. Either for heavy 4 man squad play or lite for larger TS channels.

Thanks again

FUN FUN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...