Recon: Am I doing it right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recon: Am I doing it right?

So yeah, I've been playing quite a bit of recon lately. Everytime I play recon, I worry if I am actually contributing to the team. Don't wanna be a bush camping wookie ya know?

The following are my objectives:
    -Serve as recon. As in, provide enemy positions to the team. This is usually in M-Com missions, where the enemy has a base. I find a good spot to perch on, usually off to the side away from the direct line of approach. I usually find a bush to sit in, and scope. I shoot rarely, only when it's necessary (counter-sniper).

-Serve as a spawn point for my squad. Hence finding a position off to the side. Hopefully it'll provide an unexpected approach to the enemy base.

-Call in mortars when I find a building that's full of baddies. I haven't managed to kill anyone yet, but the dust and smoke should help buy some time for the attackers.

Question is, am I doing it right? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Re: Recon: Am I doing it right?

Recon balls. Ask for ammo, and throw them everywhere.
    All the things you described above are fine, but they really pale in comparison to the intel gained from a single recon ball.

Comment

Depends a little bit on the map and your play style. You can sit back with a rifle, a dart gun, and a mortar on a map like heavy metal or harvest day and be really helpful to your team. Dart tanks as they pass, mortar them when they stop, shoot when you have a guaranteed kill. The mortar can also be used to take down certain MCOM buildings.

On denser maps, liberal use of recon balls and C4 wins the day. Don't underestimate the strategic value of using C4 to get rid of cover for the enemy.

And make sure you use the high damage explosive perk to make both C4 and mortar much more lethal.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
        Recon balls. Ask for ammo, and throw them everywhere.
        All the things you described above are fine, but they really pale in comparison to the intel gained from a single recon ball.
        Yep, can't agree with this more.

Comment

I've played on quite a few teams that had too many snipers which made it difficult to approach and arm Mcoms, yet when we actually did arm an Mcom the snipers would fail to keep defenders off of the box. If you're going to support your team from the rear, at least make sure you have line of sight on one or both Mcoms and be ready to coordinate mortar strikes with an armed Mcom.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

For situational awareness, recon and medic are the two best classes. Seeing bodies on the map is an indicator of potential confrontation, and recon balls are preface to battle. As far as recons and how I use them, it depends on the map. Urban I use shotty and recon balls let me know when the baddies round the corner (helping compensate for my lack of twitch skills), while giving my team intel. Rush I use more sniper to keep baddies off the mcom, keep engies from repairing, keep enemy snipers at bay who may be covering mcom, take out medics as they are about to revive, etc, basically a strategic opportunist. Depending on the map I use c4 (more cover or ridges) or mortar (more wide open).

Obviously you need a balance of classes for effectiveness. Heavy on the medic, definately have some assault and recon, and vehicle heavy maps or maps where engie benefit, throw those in as well (I am not much into the rocket a guy in the face thing, but that is just a personal preference, and many folks are exceptional at it). The above, for what it is worth, is just my humble opinion, and the other responders are much better players than I am, so take that and 5 bucks to starbucks for a cup of coffee :)
            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X