Potential VOIP solution for BC2 and BF3 - looking for testers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential VOIP solution for BC2 and BF3 - looking for testers

I have setup a teamspeak server and BC2 server for testing my proposed squad+team talking solution which, if it works well, can be carried over to Battlefield 3 (yay!).

First, you need to get your teamspeak identity key. Join a TeamSpeak server (mine is listed below) and click on YOUR OWN NAME in the channel/user list. It'll list your identity as "Unique ID".

Second, go here: http://174.143.141.207/
    Enter in your teamspeak id and the soldier name you'll be testing as. DO NOT INCLUDE CLAN TAGS.

Third, join my TS3 server. Address is 174.143.141.207, port number is default (9987 I believe).
    There is no password to join the server.
    Join in the "Bad Company 2 Test" channel.

Fourth, start up Bad Company 2 and go to the server browser. Make sure you have disabled all the filters and search for "SquadTalk". The server's full name is "SquadTalk Dev Server". IP address is 68.232.177.183.

Password for the server is "qwertystorm".

When you move between teams and squads you should be moved in teamspeak within a couple of seconds.

Optional: Use the SquadTalk TeamSpeak3 plugin to talk to your entire team from within your squad channel.
    For 32-bit TeamSpeak: http://c235163.r63.cf1.rackcdn.com/S...msOnly-x86.zip
    For 64-bit TeamSpeak: http://c235163.r63.cf1.rackcdn.com/S...msOnly-x64.zip

Thanks for testing guys. I really hope this works well. :D

Re: Potential VOIP solution for BC2 and BF3 - looking for testers

PLUGIN INSTRUCTIONS:

I've been working on a way for us to have good team comms on teamspeak for when games like Bad Company 2 and, possibly, Battlefield 3 let us down.
    On the server side of things it seems possible to setup a script that will put us all into squad channels automatically.
    But the problem with that is we get stuck in small squad sized channels and there's no way for the squad leaders to share meaningful information across the entire team.
    Even with wishlists you can't broadcast to just the people you want because TeamSpeak 3 doesn't have the same features for broadcasting to sibling channels that TeamSpeak 2 did.
    You can read about WhiskeySix exploring this issue here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...hannels-2.html

My solution to this is to have a TeamSpeak 3 plugin that fills this gap. I think we could run the server-side script to put us all into squad channels and use a plugin to communicate between squads and, quite possibly, between squad leaders.

Tonight I've finished a rough cut TeamSpeak 3 plugin to do this. It currently only works for talking to entire squads right now but should, with the admins help, be able to do a squad leader only comms channel.

So, to the nitty gritty!

First, you'll need to download the plugin.
    For 32-bit TeamSpeak: http://c235163.r63.cf1.rackcdn.com/S...msOnly-x86.zip
    For 64-bit TeamSpeak: http://c235163.r63.cf1.rackcdn.com/S...msOnly-x64.zip

Once you have the plugin you should extract it to the plugins directory for TeamSpeak 3. For most users it will be: C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\plugins

Once you've copied it to the plugins directory you can start up TeamSpeak.
    Go to: Settings -> Plugins
    You should see "SquadTalk" in the plugins list. If you do not then try hitting the "Reload All" button.
    When you do see "SquadTalk" check the box next to it to turn on the plugin.

Next, you need to make a hotkey for team-wide VOIP.
    Go to: Settings -> Options -> Hotkeys

Under the "Profile Details" window you need to click the "Add" button.

Now you will see a Hotkey Setup Dialog.
    First, make sure "On key down" is selected.
    Second, click the "No Hotkey Assigned" button.
    Third, press the key you want for your hotkey.
    Forth, click the "Show Advanced Actions" button.
    Finally, find Plugins -> Run Plugin Command and choose it, double click on the "<Command>" text and enter "/squadtalk team start"

Go through the hotkey setup again, this time choosing "On key release" and assigning the same hotkey as the previous dialog.
    Set the plugin command to "/squadtalk team stop"

There, was that so hard? You should be good to go now. When you join channels that look like this:

You should be able to hit your chosen hotkey and talk to people in the team channel and the squad channels of the same team :)

Please, let me know if the plugin causes any problems for you.

Comment

I'd love to get a few people on the server tonight - it only takes a short time to test and if it works we'll have a solid option for BF 3, possibly =)
      Last edited by KnyghtMare; 08-25-2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Well, we'll at least have learned some very valuable lessons to apply to any potential BF3 solutions.

Comment

Wow, awesome guys.

We had some people come to the server almost immediately. A critical bug was found, quickly repaired, and the script works excellently.

The server and script will stay up for anybody wanting to give it a try and see if it works for them for the next month or so.

HUGE SUCCESS.

Comment

I just tested the moving channels part and not the plugin part

The program works well and does move people around channels as designed. This gives me hope for decent squad voip at TG for BF3.

The program seems to work on the teamspeak channel 'bad company' and subchannels, for registered players on the server

I would suggest one more sub channel called 'Not on server' where people are moved there if they manually switch to a bad company teamspeak subchannel but they are not 1) on the server 2) registered correctly with your program. The reason is if I join a squad i want to be confident i am in a channel with my squad only and not hearing a person asking if they can be in channel or asking this or that, when in squad channel i want to play and not have voip airtime taken up by a person not in the squad. The program could move them to the channel 'not on server' or even name it 'need help registering'

As for further comms ideas, I know you have the prototpye for Sl to Sl comms, also important is to consider anybody to an admin comms

EDIT
            I am now excited about BF3 again, as this teamspeak/voip program puts a squad voip solution on the table again.

EDIT
            at map change does everyone become squadless or even teamless, how would your program handle that ?
            Last edited by Exploding_Silver; 08-27-2011, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Wow this looks impressive, did you get fired from DICE after developing BF2 In game VOIP? (since it seems they are lacking that know how these days)

However one still has to register with the server to able to use the VOIP meaning the obstacle for new/browsing players to get to know the TG BF experience remains.
              Last edited by devaZtation; 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM.

Comment

@Exploding_Silver if I'm reading your post correctly you are suggesting that only squad members can be inside the squad channels?

As far as the map change goes it depends what the BF3 server does to be honest. In BC2 everybody gets switched to the squad channel of the other team (because you have switched teams). During the move BC2 regards you as on a "neutral" team which the script ignores. ie. if you aren't assigned a team1 or team2 TeamId you are left alone and you don't end up in channel limbo while things organize themselves again (you are moved, just once, to the correct squad channel).

@devaZtation I would consider a nickname->soldiername option for players who do not want to take time to register their TeamSpeak ID or soldier name. It would just mean having your soldier name as your TS nickname. However, TacticalGamer collects your teamspeak ID when you get setup to use our TS so I figured that was a good way to do this. Both can work at the same time.

Comment

Still doesn't give players that join the server and end up in a squad with a good SL that WOW factor I know BF2142 gave me when I somehow ended up on the TG server, but this is the way of things these days, and nice work on trying to get that near in game voip solution going

Comment

Originally posted by devaZtation View Post
                    Still doesn't give players that join the server and end up in a squad with a good SL that WOW factor I know BF2142 gave me when I somehow ended up on the TG server, but this is the way of things these days, and nice work on trying to get that near in game voip solution going
                    I agree, but that is the fault of DICE not KnyghtMare.

All we can do for the general public is spam the global chat with our web address and TS info. As well as continue to condemn DICE for their regression in team play technology. Who would have thought that a ground breaking feature from 2005 would be deemed so difficult to implement 6 years later.

Kudos to you KnyghtMare. This will make BC2/BF3 more enjoyable for a lot of people.

Comment

Never meant to imply that that the state of in game voip was KnyghtMare's fault. Its an amazing work at trying to bring back squad play in current BF games.

Comment

Originally posted by KnyghtMare View Post
                        @Exploding_Silver if I'm reading your post correctly you are suggesting that only squad members can be inside the squad channels?
                        yes if a person is in the squad and registered with your program then they stay in squad teampseak channel, otherwise the program moves them out. So if they manually enter that teamspeak channel and are not in server or squad or even in squad but not registered with your program properly, then they are moved

So I am suggesting that your program really disciplines who's in what channel and people have to register with your program properly and get in a squad etc

Comment

As a person that is "on the bench" about buying BF3, this news edges me closer to parting with my hard earned cash! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X