Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated melee button?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ba...&mode=previews

Quote: "You'll also see a streamlined control system that includes the ability to knife people with a dedicated melee button, keeping you from having to switch from gun to knife and back again."

Since I don't see this listed in the "What we know so far" thread, is there any official confirmation on this? Any chance that this feature is only for consoles, or are people going to be able to map Instaknife to to a mouse button?

Re: Dedicated melee button?

I stand to be corrected, but I am pretty sure they mentioned it somewhere in either a video or interview that there will be a dedicated melee button (though my mind is fuzzy as to where I heard that).

I'd be doubtful that if they have it for the console they would not also have it for the PC but they really haven't said much about what is going to be different between the platforms so we will just have to wait and see.

Comment

Ah yeah must have forgot to mention this but in simple words:
      Knife is replaced utterly with single click and stab button, which will work in a same way than clicking attack with 2142 (/bf2?) knife.
      Advances are that you won't need to use time switching it, but downsides are that using it will require own button for it (probably Q :)). Don't like the change tbh, but it will most likely make knifing suitable option besides your main gun (while in 2142 it was mostly for brag)

Comment

i'm with mixa on this one, i liked the knifing in bf2142, you could even make some events if you had a server, have an only fight knife with an opponent player(when i drew my knife and my opponent saw me he drew his and we had a fight) and though knifing isn't teamplay, hey it's a game and sometime fun like this is needed

Comment

I've played several games with a melee option. It adds a new dynamic to the game as now you have an option if you run out of ammo while fighting someone or, while reloading, you come around a corner and find a bad guy.

Comment

I don't like this, as realism is lost with a single-button knife to the back.. Does he keep the knife in his hand while holding the gun? Does he stab someone while using the defib to revive them?

And what's to say you won't have bragging rights still? You can collect dog tags in this game too...
            BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

From the video I watched with it in it, it looked like the solider was using the butt or hand grip of the rifle to melee. Which seems to me to be a realistic option.

Comment

It's possible that because of the nature of console gaming (lack of a full keyboard) that this function will only be used for consoles - you never know though.
                sigpic

Comment

I believe nades have a dedicated button as well.(again on consoles at least)
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

To be honest it doesn't bother me, lots of people bind the 'equipment slot 1' (knife) button to a third mouse button. It has practically the same effect. In 2142, I bound the slot 7 (grenades) to my third mouse button because I was always too slow to grab a grenade and throw it.
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

If they port directly from the console to pc, I think you'll see alot of these things. As in the COD series on the xbox and I'm assuming BFBC, there is a button for the melee, and a button for grenades. The lack of extra buttons on controllers leads to this. So to save the price of developing the 2 copies of the same game for 2 different systems its very easy to see them port from the console to the pc and that would be where options like this would come from. We could pray though for a pc game that they port to the consoles. :D

Comment

Originally posted by oniell121 View Post
                        From the video I watched with it in it, it looked like the solider was using the butt or hand grip of the rifle to melee. Which seems to me to be a realistic option.
                        I thought that's what I saw as well, which explains the quickness of the melee attack and thus the reasoning for not requiring a weapon switch, but are we to believe a smack on the back of a kevlar capped noggin with the butt of a rifle is gonna kill you...and get your doggies taken as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                          I thought that's what I saw as well, which explains the quickness of the melee attack and thus the reasoning for not requiring a weapon switch, but are we to believe a smack on the back of a kevlar capped noggin with the butt of a rifle is gonna kill you...and get your doggies taken as well?
                          No I think there's a knife attached to the back of the gun, like a bayonet, except on the back.
                          Hey everyone I'm trying to learn Greek, if anyone has any pointers please PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by PM07SNV View Post
                            And what's to say you won't have bragging rights still? You can collect dog tags in this game too...
                            You can run around gun out without worrying the fact people see(or think) you're only after dog tags (this is very uncommon on TG servers in any case, but seen it in pub play).

But yeah I think this will end up being more of a bragging thing than the original system. Mainly because sneking behind someone doesn't require you to give up your firepower at all. Maybe this fits the new system better. In COD4 it didn't feel very good for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Math_Magician View Post
                              No I think there's a knife attached to the back of the gun, like a bayonet, except on the back.
                              Are there really guns with knifes on the back? Don't you slice your arm off when aiming/shooting? :)
                              BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...