Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield team play “has always been deeper”, says DICE producer

http://fpsgamer.com/news/201001/batt...dice-producer/

Battlefield Bad Company 2 saw a burst of somewhat unexpected sunny publicity last year thanks to Infinity Ward’s decision to scrap dedicated servers for Modern Warfare 2 on PC. DICE’s Gordon Van Dyke was quick to reassure official forum posters that his game would tick all the boxes on server support, to considerable applause.

Bad Company 2 online has more going for it than a sound network backbone, of course. According to producer Karl-Magnus Troedsson (whom we accosted at a recent preview shindig), the franchise’s approach to team play “has always been deeper” than that of most rivals – and remains deeper today.

Asked if there was anything he felt other multiplayer shooters were doing wrong, Troedsson replied: “Well I wouldn’t say ‘wrong’ – I don’t want to judge people, other games like that. But for us – multiplayer, online play, we’ve been doing that since Battlefield 1942, and to us it’s open environments, it’s sandbox, it’s team play.

“Because team play – what we’ve done in Battlefield for a long time is team play,” he went on. “You play as squads, you play teams, it’s very important. A lot of the other shooters are still actually in team deathmatch mode – they have tons of different game modes, but they all one way or another are just people playing to get the maximum score.

“This game is deeper, and Battlefield has always been deeper, and that’s due a lot to the gameplay. Like for instance you can heal each other, you can give each other ammo, you can revive each other – we’ve got the shock paddles in now.”

We find this claim a little dubious, to be honest. Among other current generation highlights, Killzone 2, Left 4 Dead and Gears of War have all done compelling things with player revival, healing and ammo sharing. 1942 may have been a trend-setter, but Battlefield faces stiffer competition nowadays. What do you think?

The game’s out on 2nd March in North America and 5th March in Europe.

If teamwork is so high on DICE's priority list, why have they removed both the SL and CO roles from BC2?

Any word yet on any kind of coordination capabilities? Any way to interact meaningfully with the other squads?

Re: Battlefield team play “has always been deeper”, says DICE producer

Originally posted by draeh View Post

If teamwork is so high on DICE's priority list, why have they removed both the SL and CO roles from BC2?
    Why don't you take a look at THIS twitter posting.

Comment

Originally posted by oniell121 View Post
      Why don't you take a look at THIS twitter posting.
      PC is still 4 man squads with full squad spawn. But with BF2/2142 style joining and leading and locking.
      Ok... that's nice... what about coordinating with other squads? Please don't say TS. This kind of coordination ability should exist in the game native. Any word on that?

I'm all for this game doing well, but at this time it seems like a step back in some teamwork/tactical areas versus BF2/2142. No SL, who cares. Just like in CS, someone can quickly be appointed the SL to direct the squad's focus. I just hope that they (DICE) see the importance of having some kind of squad coordination ability, and I hope that ability is more than "Team Chat".

Comment

Ok... that's nice... what about coordinating with other squads? Please don't say TS. This kind of coordination ability should exist in the game native. Any word on that?

I'm all for this game doing well, but at this time it seems like a step back in some teamwork/tactical areas versus BF2/2142. No SL, who cares. Just like in CS, someone can quickly be appointed the SL to direct the squad's focus. I just hope that they (DICE) see the importance of having some kind of squad coordination ability, and I hope that ability is more than "Team Chat".
        You have to remember that TG is one of the most teamwork focused (bf) communities there and such thing as idea of SL-SL voip might not come as natural for people who aren't used to the gameplay/style such as this. With lack of commander we'll have to see how the elements of the game affect teamwork.

Comment

I have not heard anything specific on SL-SL comms. I would really enjoy that too.

Comment

Spawning on anyone in your sqaud/fireteam is a pretty cool feature actually. It's the same system that was implemented in OperationFlashpoint DragonRising. It will change the role of the squad leader a little bit, but I think it will be for the better.

As far as Communications, all we can do is hope and see. All that aside though, they make other software out there that can do what we want. If DICE chooses not to implement it in the game it won't be the end of it. As long as there is VOIP of somekind we will be ok.

Comment

for anybody new to this forum
              the summary of news so far (as I understand it)
              • there is no commander
              • there are squads
              • squads are 4 max
              • you can respawn on any other squad member or a flag your team controls
              • any squad member can set squad orders (orders seem very simplistic like attack A or attack B)
              • each squad will have its own voip channel
              • no squad to squad voip channel
              • 32 players max on PC (depending on the game mode eg squad deathmatch is 16 players max)
              • beta out end of Jan, so try it then

Comment

Speculation is all we have(mostly) for the moment. Hopefully the beta/demo will clear things up.

Comment

Seeing the need/importance of having these things and them being worth the investment are really 2 different topics which I think you are confusing. Does adding the required tech's to make these things happen add enough customers to their potential base to make it worth the investment? Honestly? Probably not. Commander is one of the least filled roles in bf2/2142, why bother wasting the time and money to make a functional commander position in the new frostbite engine? Squad leaders to a lot of players are just people telling them how to play the game. Play on normal servers for bf2/2142, most of these places have more people not in squads then in them.

DICE is making this game for the general public, things like commanders and squad leaders, while adding depth to people like us, add nothing to a large portion of their customer base, and if anything detract from their enjoyment of the game. (more people to tell them how to play) I'm going to give them a pass over this stuff right now, maybe later my opinion will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
                    Seeing the need/importance of having these things and them being worth the investment are really 2 different topics which I think you are confusing. Does adding the required tech's to make these things happen add enough customers to their potential base to make it worth the investment? Honestly? Probably not. Commander is one of the least filled roles in bf2/2142, why bother wasting the time and money to make a functional commander position in the new frostbite engine? Squad leaders to a lot of players are just people telling them how to play the game. Play on normal servers for bf2/2142, most of these places have more people not in squads then in them.

DICE is making this game for the general public, things like commanders and squad leaders, while adding depth to people like us, add nothing to a large portion of their customer base, and if anything detract from their enjoyment of the game. (more people to tell them how to play) I'm going to give them a pass over this stuff right now, maybe later my opinion will change.

what he said
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X