X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DICE: Bad Company 2 'reaching' Uncharted 2's graphics

Another bold claim from DICE:

Originally posted by videogamer.com
    Speaking to VideoGamer.com, producer Gordon Van Dyke said no game can claim to better the graphics seen in Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2.

"I wouldn't make that kind of claim," he said. "Uncharted 2 is an amazing-looking game. But we're reaching that level of quality. It's going to be hard for any game to be able to make a claim that they look better. But we are getting to, I feel, that level, where it's looking very impressive. When you see it - and I've heard other people say it as well, so it's not just me - other people are saying it's getting there."
    But Van Dyke reckons Bad Company 2, which is our 37th most anticipated game of 2010, will surpass Uncharted 2 in one key area: vistas.

"The thing is though, we have much bigger environments. To even be close, to me is quite an honour as a developer. The one thing I did was, when I looked at their game I was like, damn them! What have they done to the rest of us? I was looking for something where I could say, okay, that we're doing better. I looked at their vistas, and I think that our vistas, because it's in game, this is actual in-game terrain you could theoretically take your soldier and walk up to, our vistas are better. Naughty Dog, if you hear this, I challenge you versus our vistas!"
    Based on the PS3 beta, this must be some sort of joke.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: DICE: Bad Company 2 'reaching' Uncharted 2's graphics

Uncharted 2, didn't even out do Crysis's graphics.

Comment

I read the statement and thought it was marketing aimed at the consoles only

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
        Based on the PS3 beta, this must be some sort of joke.
        Really? From the videos I saw I thought the graphics in BC2 were pretty amazing.
        Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

"no game can claim to better the graphics seen in Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2.
          What? Uncharted 2 was a PS3 exclusive, right? The PS3's graphics processor was inferior to most PCs' when it came out, do they really think it's gonna be the best-looking game 4 years on?

Also, great vistas are (for me) better than great graphics. Moments when you see an amazing view and just stop and think 'Wow...'. Fallout 3, Half Life 2 (especially Episode 2), Crysis etc. were all brilliant for vistas. Let's hope BC2 is as well.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
            What? Uncharted 2 was a PS3 exclusive, right? The PS3's graphics processor was inferior to most PCs' when it came out, do they really think it's gonna be the best-looking game 4 years on?

Also, great vistas are (for me) better than great graphics. Moments when you see an amazing view and just stop and think 'Wow...'. Fallout 3, Half Life 2 (especially Episode 2), Crysis etc. were all brilliant for vistas. Let's hope BC2 is as well.
            Yes, but PS3's cell processor is superior to most PCs and Uncharted 2 devs went to great lengths to program to the processor's strengths. It is an amazing looking game.

The screenshots of BC2 look great, but actually playing it was a bit disappointing. Some of the textures looked blurry, the shadows were really jaggy, and overall it didn't even come close to even "reaching" the first Uncharted's level of graphics.

Comment

Who cares? If the gameplay is good I don't mind if it looks exactly the same as BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                Who cares? If the gameplay is good I don't mind if it looks exactly the same as BF2.
                I think you would mind considering BF2 is pushing its 5th birthday this summer....a somewhat of a lifetime considering pc graphics :)

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                  I think you would mind considering BF2 is pushing its 5th birthday this summer....a somewhat of a lifetime considering pc graphics :)
                  I have been playing BF2 for last 4 weeks (never played before). I am pleasantly surprised. (-: I do not care for the graphics as long as the gameplay is "good" imho. (-:
                  "veritas vos liberabit"

Comment

Well for someone who bought BF2 back in 2005 days after it came out, the game has aged greatly for me (mostly in a goodw ay). Still fun but I feel I am ready to move on.

Comment

BF2 still holds up. It had great graphics for its time, and the models and textures are detailed enough that it doesn't detract from the experience. I still enjoy loading it up every now and then. But having played the BC2 demo and BF1943, the Frostbite engine puts it to shame.

No where near Uncharted 2 level stuff, though.

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                        On that note, last weekend when I was cleaning my shelves I found bill from my BF2 purchase, dated somewhere August 2005.
                        On side note, I came up with my nick the day I bought that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kebab-Kastike View Post
                          On side note, I came up with my nick the day I bought that game.
                          Let me guess. Hangover -> need something salty and greasy to get back on your feet -> go to a local kebab joint?
                          [S7]Hablos
                          Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers

sigpic

Comment

It's the name of a brand of Kebab sauce! :P

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Graphics are forgivable if the game is solid, if the only thing a dev team has to offer is eye candy, were neat to look at, it leaves you unsatisfied.

To be honest I would gladly give up some graphic goodies if it would bring up the server count to 64, or even 48 versus just 32. I know still better then the 24 that the 360 or PS3 has, but there is something to be said about 32 vs 32...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X