Server Browser Rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Browser Rant

Why, oh why can't EA/DICE come up with a decent server browser / buddy list app?

I mean, compared to the GAME ITSELF, that should be child's play. All they have to do is look at COD4 or ANY xbox game. Sheesh.

Just needed to get that out there - thanks for listening. :row__684:

Oh, and the game rocks.

Proud to have been an Irregular!

Re: Server Browser Rant

The server browser isn't complete.
    Try to remember you are playing in the BETA and it is not representative of the final product.

Comment

Yeah. Still, I thought the purpose of a beta was large scale testing. The server browser and the friends list are major parts of the game, and you think they would want feedback on them. Other than "It's broken", I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by KnyghtMare View Post
        The server browser isn't complete.
        Try to remember you are playing in the BETA and it is not representative of the final product.
        That is in no way an excuse for what must be the easiest thing to get together.. They spent a lot of time making the buildings fall down (And I thank them for this, coz it's great), but whoever coded the server browser must have been the tea boy.

They aimed to make a game with teamwork in mind, and forgot all the things that make that possible.. Voip and a friends list, with server join button! Luckily half the beta players out there have some sense in squadplay, even if it is silent.
        BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Again, it's a beta product. You're lucky to be playing it at all!

The date for the PC beta was announced a bit early so maybe they just didn't have time to nail these things down and make the beta release date. They have a month to add this stuff while you get the beta the actual game itself. VOIP, server browser, friends lists are all after thoughts when it comes to developing something of this size and are undoubtedly the final things to go into the product.

Comment

Originally posted by KnyghtMare View Post
            Again, it's a beta product. You're lucky to be playing it at all!
            Should have been ironed out in Alpha is my point.
            BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

This does seem to be a problem consisten with EA/BF series over the years - a very lackluster Server Browser. I know back in the day when I played it a lot, there would be periods of many crashed games due to EA's server browser problems.

As someone involved in software UI/design/programming, it amazes me that you can't simply type in a bit of text, say a part of the server's name, and have it filter on that. You can filter on just about everything else, but not that. Compared to the graphics modeling, AI, etc. that is required for the rest of the game, a better and much more powerful filtering system should be child's play.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Originally posted by PM07SNV View Post
                That is in no way an excuse for what must be the easiest thing to get together.. They spent a lot of time making the buildings fall down (And I thank them for this, coz it's great), but whoever coded the server browser must have been the tea boy.

They aimed to make a game with teamwork in mind, and forgot all the things that make that possible.. Voip and a friends list, with server join button! Luckily half the beta players out there have some sense in squadplay, even if it is silent.
                So I guess you would have liked to have a functional server browser, and instead of collapsable buildings have untouchable square blocks :P. They have priorities while coding, and I am sure core gameplay features are higher up then a server browser. If this is the server browser that ships with retail, well we may have something to complain about then.

Having said that though, I have never been impressed with their server browsers :P.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by thedogwarrior View Post
                  As someone involved in software UI/design/programming, it amazes me that you can't simply type in a bit of text, say a part of the server's name, and have it filter on that. You can filter on just about everything else, but not that.
                  The EA/DICE server browser, powered by Google.
                  sigpic

"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with."
                  Retired 11th Airborne | Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Comment

Originally posted by thedogwarrior View Post
                    As someone involved in software UI/design/programming, it amazes me that you can't simply type in a bit of text, say a part of the server's name, and have it filter on that. You can filter on just about everything else, but not that. Compared to the graphics modeling, AI, etc. that is required for the rest of the game, a better and much more powerful filtering system should be child's play.
                    Possible in BF2. Don't know about 2142.

Comment

Originally posted by PM07SNV View Post
                      Should have been ironed out in Alpha is my point.
                      It should have, yes. When alpha testing begins (in house) typically all major features should be in and passing any unit tests you have for them and presumed to work.
                      Unforunately "beta" has become a way to release a demo of a game that is incomplete not only to get it play tested but to generate hype.

Comment

You guys simply don't understand what the beta process is. A server browser is one of the last things to get implemented. The game engine, balance, etc. all comes first. Then when you reach the process of a beta you start making two versions of the game. One will be the public beta client, the most stable release, this will go unchanged for months to make sure that it simply will not fail. A second build is cooked nightly, this is what the devs get to play every day. The code is usually compiled every day. Sometimes a bug will appear that will bring their whole game out of commission for the day and they lose a day of play testing because of one little error of code. This can't happen for the public beta.

What you and I are playing is the public beta. It is officially months old. Things like the server browser and friends list are items currently either being worked on or done being worked on and is only represented in the latest version. In short, you probably won't be seeing friends list or the server browser working the way you want it during the beta. Period.

Final release is a whole different ball game. There the code will be finalized and the only differences will be in terms of balance. Minor weapon tweaks, etc.

You guys need to understand what a beta is and isn't and not judge the final product as of now.

Comment

This is an alpha release then? Should they be paying me to help develop the product?

I'd settle for them just adding some code to allow you to sort the browser list entries. I personally haven't enjoyed going through every single server looking for "EA Wolf Virginia #5" or whatever.

Anyone try joining through Steam?
                          |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyOfThree View Post
                            Anyone try joining through Steam?
                            I have not seen the "join game" option lit/available in the friends menu even when your friends are on a server.
                            It would be a much easier choice.

Comment

I'm just happy the server software itself seems pretty stable.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X