Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to upgrade for 'cheap'? Here's what I did...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to upgrade for 'cheap'? Here's what I did...

Ok, well it's only cheap in relative terms.... but if you've been thinking about an upgrade, I'm VERY happy with what I've done. I generally buy about a year behind the curve - still get fantastic performance, but at discounted prices. (I'm also an AMD CPU fan because of the bang-for-the-buck factor... you don't quite get Intel performance, but you get close - for half the price)

I'm running BC2 at 1680x1080, with med-high settings and getting smooth framerates and no slowdowns. I haven't measured FPS, but I'd guess it's somewhere in the 50's or 60's - whatever it is, it's sufficient so that I'm totally immersed in the game and not thinking about framerates.

Anyway, here's what I went with...

AMD Phenom II X4 940 (Black Edition, 3.0GHz) with BIOSTAR TA790GXBE AM3/AM2+/AM2 motherboard

$210 for the combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.335062

I then added a Radeon HD 5770 (1GB) for $149.... These seem to be running around $150-$160 on newegg.com (link), but, like I did, you can sometimes find coupons available for them on slickdeals.net and the like.

Anyway - $360+ is a lot of cash, but in the grand scheme of things I think this is probably about the most bang for the buck you're going to get - and you should be good for a while.

(If you have more coin and think you might do a dual video-card setup in the future, consider upgrading the motherboard to one with a second video-card slot)

Re: Looking to upgrade for 'cheap'? Here's what I did...

Thats a good chip....I currently run the 945 PhenomII and a ATI 4890, roughly around 70 fps....smooth as silk, nice little budget upgrade whiskey!
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I was planning a build next year for some of the same reasons, wait a while and today's components come down in price only to read last night that AMD has scrapped plans for a x8 (one of the components I wanted for the "new build"). This looks like a good build but curious why you decided on the 940 instead of the 965?
      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
        I was planning a build next year for some of the same reasons, wait a while and today's components come down in price only to read last night that AMD has scrapped plans for a x8 (one of the components I wanted for the "new build"). This looks like a good build but curious why you decided on the 940 instead of the 965?
        because it's about $80 cheaper... and with the Black Edition having unlocked everything, it's easy to overclock to 965 speeds (3.4GHz).

edit: at this point, there's no reason to overclock... the chip has plenty of headroom at 3GHz... heh.. tbh, I'm considering underclocking to save heat/power :icon_lol:
        Last edited by WhiskeySix; 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Sounds great whiskey. I'll be looking to do something similar in the summer.

POE2 Developer

Comment

I've been tracking these for a while and only see about a $20-30 price spread but haven't looked at the combo kits. If you have a trick to overclocking these that would work for my 9750 phenom I'm all ears.
            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Give in to the dark side bronco....go phenomII, get a 940 or 945BE 95 watt cpu and just OC it to 3.4. whiskey is right that u could even underclock it and be fine. I use an ASUS utility which OC's on the fly and literally see no difference in performance on BFBC2 when on stock VS OC speed. Give in to your urges!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.334827
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I popped a new ATi 5770 in on my aging AM2+ Phenom 9550 last week, and didn't get enough of a boost in frames. Ordered a Phenom II 945 95 watt version last night, but that stinkin' mid Atlantic storm kept it from shipping today. Gonna' be a long weekend if it doesn't make it by Friday.
                Last edited by |3illY; 02-10-2010, 11:51 PM. Reason: blah

Comment

I finally installed FRAPs and bench-marked it... turns out I'm getting around 80FPS with the above gear and these settings:

1680x1050
                  Level of Detail: High
                  Texture Quality: High
                  Shadow Quality: Low
                  Effects Quality: Medium
                  Anti-Aliasing: 2x
                  Anisotrophic: 4x
                  VSYNC: off
                  HBAO: off

[DxVersion=10 in settings.ini]

Turning on HBAO drops it to the 40's range, and high shadows drops it into the 50-60's.

Comment

If you are looking to upgrade only for this game I would say give it time. To me this engine still seems highly unoptimized. It doesn't fully utilize my dual core (60%-70%, or my graphics card(65%-70%). I don't expect the optimizations at launch, but maybe a patch or two down the line. Optimizations from the game devs as well as GPU drivers should make this game more bearable on a wider amount of hardware down the line.

I get 40+ fps in Crysis Warhead on Enthusiast, and destroy every other game I have tried, I refuse to believe this game is more intensive (sure doesn't look like it, or show it through usage) :P.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

All the destruction is handled through the CPU, and this beta build is months old.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X