Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried BF2 or 2142 since playing the BC2 beta?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried BF2 or 2142 since playing the BC2 beta?

I did tonight, and man, there is no going back for me.

BF2 and 2142 were at their best (in my opinion) when the action was funneled into a critical squad VS squad fight over one objective. The only problem is that such fights would only happen once or twice a round. The maps were so large that once the squad leader died (or beacon was destroyed) the fun was over and you had to hoof it back into the battle. After BC2, I thought 2142 felt sloooow.

The spawn on all squad members in BC2 makes the game INTENSE! On offense it is a mad blitz to sneak or storm past enemy lines, just one man needs to make it and hide. On defense it is a frantic search to make darn sure every last one of the sneaky buggers is dead. (If defending against Zhohar I do nothing but run around and look for him behind our line of defense.) Rush mode is fun because you are never standing at the point wondering when/if it will be attacked. You are always actively involved in defending it.

DICE has essentially taken my favorite aspect of previous Battlefield games and made a game centered around it. Mind you I never played BC1, so I don't know if it is the same.

I have not been this excited for a game release in a long time.
    Last edited by Amplitudo; 02-23-2010, 08:23 AM.

Re: Anyone tried BF2 or 2142 since playing the BC2 beta?

Originally posted by Amplitudo View Post
    I did tonight, and man, there is no going back for me.

BF2 and 2142 were at their best (in my opinion) when the action was funneled into a critical squad VS squad fight over one objective. The only problem is that such fights would only happen once or twice a round. The maps were so large that once the squad leader died (or beacon was destroyed) the fun was over and you had to hoof it back into the battle. After BC2, I thought 2142 felt sloooow.
    You have never played 2142 with TG then. The last word you will ever use to describe it is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Smachin007 View Post
      You have never played 2142 with TG then. The last word you will ever use to describe it is slow.
      All of my 2142 playtime (100+ hours) was with TG.

Compared to BC2 the pace is slower. Sometimes the commander would want my squad to defend some remote point from the threat of attack. Of course we did so without complaining, but I would sit there and stare wistfully across the bay at the action around the other points. Or our squad would get wiped behind enemy lines and we would have to wait for transportation or run all the way back, all the while I'm itching to get back in the action.

In the BC2 beta you are ALWAYS in the action!

Comment

It should be renamed to BC2 Arcade C4. (-;
        "veritas vos liberabit"

Comment

Originally posted by BarrytBaptist View Post
          It should be renamed to BC2 Arcade C4. (-;
          funny, Barry.

I would have never thought a game could have faster action than bf2142, but BC2 proved me wrong. I played a little bf2142 tonight and my main problem was remembering my keys settings and adjusting to the mouse dpi settings. I have turned them down in BC2 to improve my frame rate.

Something to consider though: Rush mode produces a fast paced game. The conquest mode may have a similar pace to bf2/2142.
          "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
          "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

BC2 is a little too fast with Rush mode. A full server is a little too chaotic for such a small area.

I will agree though that it is a lot nicer. You don't have to worry about bugs so much and when your squad is behind cover and their squad is behind cover, the danger is ever more so present rather than one person just running in and killing everyone.

Comment

Battlefield 2142 was a very fun game. I'm keeping my mind open about Bad Company 2.

Though I haven't played BF2142 in a few months, I can say (from an obviously biased position) than BC2's pace is a lot more languid and less frantic. Of course, the game will truly begin to shine after the release -- I can't wait for that :)

Comment

Yeah the rush game-mode is a little frenzied for my tastes... 32 players fighting over a single objective. Of course, that was the perfect mode for the beta - get everyone in on the action even when few people were on a server. I'm really looking forward to conquest and [hopefully more functional] hardcore mode to give a little more room to operate and time to think.

I opened 2142 the other day to compare, and... wow.. it's never looked so old and ugly. This new frostbite engine, with its visual candy and destructible-environment, really is a thing of beauty. 2142 is basically powered by 6 year old technology, and it really shows in comparison.

Comment

I still think 2142 looks beautiful. Its a better designed game than BC2. I opened it after playing BC2 for a week and it was such a relief on the eyes, Whereas BC2 i busy, busy, busy looking with so many different elements the image becomes almost white noise, 2142 is clean looking, with a nice colour palette, nice lines and good proportions. And I do not understand why DICE felt it necessary to reinvent the squad management system when they had it pretty much nailed in 2142. Why not use that, must have been a lot of R&D money down the drain.

I still like BC2 though and it is the future, it will probably be a really nice game in Conquest mode. I will keep repeating this, rush mode is not for the TG server.
                  sigpic

Comment

If anything, they are striving for a more "true to life" chaos in the sense that buildings that go boom produces debris...the wind blowing over the ice produces a fine white mist...the trees falling down is debris-ladeb....anything that makes you go "deaf" can make your screen filled with debris..

It's a dirty world out there when you're fighting and I think they want to capture the essence of that dirtiness....whenever I blow up a wall...I get a a beautiful smoke screen that provides a lot of good cover....

Comment

Originally posted by DocGuo View Post
                      I get a a beautiful smoke screen that provides a lot of good cover....
                      Concealment, not cover.

With the Frostbite engine, a lot of "cover" is only "concealment" when the right ordinance is applied.

Comment

I can't see myself going back to BF2 or BF2142, and even then, I would still have to go through the painful installation process and applying the myriad of patches with 2142 and downloading a 2 gig file first for the BF2 patch. Not to mention I played so many hours of each, I know the maps and most tactics like the back of my hand.

Bring on BC2 :D

Comment

It's still a good game for me to get into. I'm totally messing up my rockets/revives/2nd weapon keys between the 2, so if I throw a med pack instead of reviving, I can't help it..
                          BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...