Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feedback requested: 3D Spotting (red triangles over enemies)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback requested: 3D Spotting (red triangles over enemies)

What does everyone think about the "3D Spotting" system? This is the 'red triangle' system, where tagged enemies have a red-triangle floating above them.

Does having them enabled (as they are in the beta) improve the gameplay experience for you?

How would disabling the red-triangles improve gameplay?

edit: Just to be clear - we're considering launching with three ranked servers of various configurations. This thread is really just to discuss this particular feature, unrelated to any other modes or features. (The poll is just for kicks - it's not a binding referendum :))

edit2: This feature does not affect the spot-assist scoring (where you get 10(?) points when a team-mate kills someone you spotted); spotted enemies are always visible on one's map (and minimap).
    Strong Dislike
    14.12%
    Mild Dislike
    11.76%
    Don't care one way or the other
    4.71%
    Slightly Prefer them
    40.00%
    Strongly Prefer them
    29.41%
    Last edited by WhiskeySix; 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM. Reason: clarification and renamed thread

Re: magical-red-floating-triangles-of-DOOM

'slightly prefer' voted
    I like the fast paced vanilla approach, of which the red triangles are part

Comment

<admin hat off>

Personally, I dislike them for a few reasons:

1) They seem to be a 'training wheels' add-on and reduce the value of situational awareness. If you can see the 'triangle' running around on the other side of the building and he can see your triangle, there isn't much room left for 'outwitting' your enemy. It's reduced to a contest of twitch/ping/mouse-skill as you both round the corner fully aware of what's about to happen.

2) They reduce [I didn't say 'eliminate'] the ability to successfully maneuver in-game, which is one of the main things I love about the 'open war' nature of the BF series... being able to flank/infiltrate/ninja around.

3) They break immersion for me, as they just don't make any sense in the game environment. 2142 also has this 3D spotting feature, but there it makes sense; it's 130 years in the future and everyone's wearing a networked helmet with integrated HUD. Here? In BC2? Nothing like that... they're just floating triangles that remind me I'm playing a video game.

Comment

I guess at this point..I slightly Perfer them..Only because they are Tied into the scoring system..and I want my Unlocks.. If we were all sitting with all the same toys..then Get rid of them.. Till then it's a reward to a TEAM player who lets his 'mates know where the bad guys are..

Talking about killing Immersion...The ATV suicide run to kill a Radio transmitter.. ARRG..
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Re: Feedback requested: 3D Spotting (red triangles over enemies)

This feature would not affect scoring - spotted enemies would still be seen on your minimap, and you'd still get the kill-assist points.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
            1) They seem to be a 'training wheels' add-on and reduce the value of situational awareness. If you can see the 'triangle' running around on the other side of the building and he can see your triangle, there isn't much room left for 'outwitting' your enemy. It's reduced to a contest of twitch/ping/mouse-skill as you both round the corner fully aware of what's about to happen.
            Without 3D triangles I will just track spotted enemies on the mini-map. The result will be the same, I will know they are coming around the corner and be prepared to blast them. With the triangles on it is nice not to have to constantly whip my eyes back and forth from center screen to map.

2) They reduce [I didn't say 'eliminate'] the ability to successfully maneuver in-game, which is one of the main things I love about the 'open war' nature of the BF series... being able to flank/infiltrate/ninja around.
            As an attacker in the beta I had no trouble sneaking past enemy lines un-spotted. As a defender, even when I knew they were coming, and I was trying to cover every possible approach, TG squads would still get behind me.

Edit: Against a team of mostly TG it won't matter if you are lit up with a triangle or not. They will report you on comms and root you out of any hiding place you can find.

3) They break immersion for me, as they just don't make any sense in the game environment. 2142 also has this 3D spotting feature, but there it makes sense; it's 130 years in the future and everyone's wearing a networked helmet with integrated HUD. Here? In BC2? Nothing like that... they're just floating triangles that remind me I'm playing a video game.
            I think they are a product of the limited communication options within the game (consolification if you will). With no eye-in-the-sky commander spotting opfor it helps defense, and offense, coordinate movement and actions. Remember that most players will not have the added benefit of TeamSpeak. When faced with a choice between gameplay and realism, BC2 chooses gameplay every time. So far DICE seems to strike a decent balance.

Comment

I like them when I play as a defender since it's easier to get the headshot.. I don't like them as a attacker since it makes it Slightly harder to be an über Ninja..
              Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Originally posted by Abel View Post
                I like them when I play as a defender since it's easier to get the headshot.. I don't like them as a attacker since it makes it Slightly harder to be an slick Ninja..

Fixed that for you.

Comment

I agree with amplitudo I prefer them slightly
                  sigpic
                  <a href="http://www.metro2033forum.net">metro 2033 forum</a>

Comment

Its the equivalent of pointing "the bad guys are over there". I find it helpful and prefer them to be enabled. However I would prefer a version where the red triangle would not follow the player but remain in the location where he was first spotted and disappear quicker than the current triangles.
                    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

I think they are a good addition to the game, however I think they should be shortened. Like have it appear over and enemy and only have it hover for a few seconds, so it's still kinda realistic but not extremely fictional by being able to sneak around an enemy for 20 seconds (I don't know the full time on it) because you know his exact position...

Comment

It feels like a larger version of the targeting in 2/2142. My only problem with them, which is quite large, is the fact that you can target and continue to know exactly where they are even when they're behind cover, which seems slightly unrealistic.

Former TG-21st
                        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

They do go away when you drop behind a wall or duck into a building. The way they work (supposedly, this is DICE code) is that the spotter has to maintain line of sight. So if the guy who spotted the tank has that tank in his field of view, the tank will remain lit up as long as he looks at it. In other words, to maintain the spot you have to be exposed to enemy fire and the target has to remain clearly visible.

Thus, I don't think it is game breaking. It's no different then a contact report, or logging targets on a GPS in real life. I'm much more concerned about kill cam and the 3rd person vehicle cams then I am about the spotting.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt View Post
                            They do go away when you drop behind a wall or duck into a building. The way they work (supposedly, this is DICE code) is that the spotter has to maintain line of sight. So if the guy who spotted the tank has that tank in his field of view, the tank will remain lit up as long as he looks at it. In other words, to maintain the spot you have to be exposed to enemy fire and the target has to remain clearly visible.
                            REALLY?? <squint> I feel like that just wasn't how it worked in the beta, but maybe I didn't quite understand what was going on? Let's find out tonight!!

Thus, I don't think it is game breaking.
                            Agreed - I think the game [even w/ kill cam, FF off, and everything else] is wonderfully balanced to be honest. This is simply a preference thing... it's like asking what your favorite song is :D

Comment

Britt is correct there.. It's supposed too go away of you don't have a clear view of the target.. Does it work? No, it hangs on for sometime but it goes away faster if you loose sight of the poor fella..

Whiskey, Metallica nothing else matters live:P
                              Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X