Input Needed: Life with Multiple Servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input Needed: Life with Multiple Servers

Apophis has signed off on launching BC2 with three 32-player, ranked servers at launch. (We'll keep a close eye on usage over the first month or two to see if we should continue on with that many.) We'll have a Hard Core server, and dual, 32-player servers in "regular" mode. (The two "regular" servers will probably be setup with identical configurations - details soon).

One main thing we all need to think about is how we're going spread over the two "regular" servers each night. The main thing we want to avoid is having one server saturate with 100% Supporting Members, while the other fills with a few SM's plus 25 guests:
    - It would really stunt the growth of the community as guests wouldn't be able to experience talking team work on the "main" server.

- Guest-players that get on the "other" server would experience a really watered down version of our game-play and not come back (the old "you only get one chance to make a first impression" thing)

- SM's that got "stuck" on the second [rate] server wouldn't be very happy.

So uh... how do we avoid "server stacking" threads? :D

Re: Input Needed: Life with Multiple Servers

Maybe we could have a poll nailing down hard numbers? Like "Do you plan to primarily play vanilla BC2 or hardcore mode, or are you unsure". See what the breakdown is.

Assuming that this issue does happen, I suggest the inhouse squads take the lead in balancing them out. No one wants to be the one TG guy on a server full of pubbies, so if one server is lacking then get two IHS groups to hop into the lesser server and go head to head showing the pubbies how it is done.

Another thing that I think would be great to bring back was from POE2. The squads in POE2, for a while anyway, had a strict rule: No more then half the squad could be TG. This allowed pubbies to really experience TG gameplay. I know this works: that's how I came to be a part of this community. I think it would be great to get this started right off the bat. If you're in a squad of all TG and you see a squad of all pubbies, try to mix it up and get two LearnTG squads going. Maybe it can be casual instead of the rule that it was in POE2's heyday. Make an effort to integrate pubbies into your squad. When I played 2142 it was fun....as long as you weren't the 7th or 8th guy who had to try to lead a pubby squad with little TG support. Of course that happened as a lot of people got tired of 2142 or late at night. Usually we had 2 or 3 mostly TG squads. If squads are persistent through rounds though, we might have a huge problem where the solid core of TG is having a blast rolling through the new game, but we lose potential new members due to them mainly seeing a clan having fun with pubbies serving as meatshields and extra bodies on the map. Assuming of course that the teams are balanced, which will always be an issue. One round where a lot of TG drops on one side can have a devastating effect on the pubbies who end up steamrolled. I know sometimes good teams have bad rounds, and one bad round doesn't mean the teams are stacked, but let us err on the side of caution early in the life of our shiny new game. If it's 7 TG versus 14, the teams are stacked. Fix it in the middle of the round, don't make pubbies rage and leave with a bad opinion of the gameplay on our servers. Be proactive in balancing teams.

Full disclaimer: I'm not an admin, and I'm not trying to preach to anyone. I'm just offering my take on what I think should be the TG spirit as we enter a new game together. To summarize, I think we, the individual members of TG BC2, should resolve to:

1: Look at the server lists, and see which one needs more TG love. Join that one. We will all get a chance to play with everyone over the course of the game. Remember the old bull and the young bull.

2. Invite pubbies into our squads, teach them the TG way. Plug the forums. Use the friend system to keep the vocal and interested pubbies in our orbit. Especially importance is patience. One cutting remark can burn a bridge forever.

3. Be proactive about balance. Nothing kills a server like stacked teams. Don't wait to be told, and don't be afraid to be labeled as a whiner. Err on the side of caution.

Comment

There's gonna be alot of people on the first months. So three servers is great so everybody gets to play. Then after a few months, we can evaulate what to do next.

Any news on hosting location(s) by the way? I know London is hoping too much but maybe New York? It shaves of 10-20ms for us euros. Hey here's an idea. If two same mode servers doesn't work in one location we can have one in London. Easier to seed in euro hours if we can't keep our US server going.

Comment

Maybe some sort of limit. Like server 1 can only have 20 players max if sever 2 has less than 16. If server 2 has a number higher than 16, server 1 would open up to 32 again... This is probably not code-able but maybe we can agree as a community to follow these rules, It wouldn't be a ban able offence just a formality we TGers would agree on.
        2412: TG Displacio or TG Wazzaup

Comment

Im more concerned about actually getting into the servers than stacking them. Since theres the "play now" button, people are going to fill up the servers as soon they are seeded. We might very well have a scenario where there is 30 TG supporting members that are waiting to get on the servers because they are full of people who doesnt really care which server they are on anyway.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
            Im more concerned about actually getting into the servers than stacking them. Since theres the "play now" button, people are going to fill up the servers as soon they are seeded. We might very well have a scenario where there is 30 TG supporting members that are waiting to get on the servers because they are full of people who doesnt really care which server they are on anyway.
            We think we'll be able to get the normal scripts working: reserved-slots for SMs, kick for being squadless, etc..

Comment

To be honest, the way it is going to play out is someone is going to jump TS channels and say, "server # is lacking TG, would anyone like to move over?"

The problem I see with this is what if both servers are full with one being heavily stacked with TG. Why in gods name am I going to leave the server I am on to sit on the join screen for 20 minutes trying to get into server #2? To increase the matter, if I am on server 1 with my IHS and friends, how are the 5 or 6 of us going to move over to server #2 when it is full?

I fully support moving over to the other server to help seed it with more TG.

I fully do not support having 5 friends leave their current server to sit on a join screen waiting to get a slot on server #2 so we can balance out the ratio of TG to Pubbie.

To balance out the servers, the answer is reserved slots. So my question is, how are we going to do reserved slots? I have not read into any of the server software and do not know what implementations they have for reserved slots. If there is a way to implement reserved slots then we can have people move over with minimum downtime between server switching.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                We think we'll be able to get the normal scripts working: reserved-slots for SMs, kick for being squadless, etc..
                That would be awesome.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm more concerned that 64 regular slots won't be enough. I'm pretty sure I saw more than 64 different TG names during the beta.

Comment

But how often did you see them playing at the same time?

oh, and Anders Gyllenberg the head producer or something like that have confirmed reserved slots at least..
                    Last edited by Abel; 02-28-2010, 11:20 AM.
                    Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

In BF2's golden days we easily filled the 64 player TG server with all SMs so i don't think having 3 servers is going to be a problem.

I don't really have any interest in playing a hardcore server though, I just hope we turn off killcam on all the servers after a little bit :)

Comment

Usally I prefer a hardcore game style. That would be my first consideration on server choice. Second would be who's playing where, if a whole bunch of players I've gamed with before are in server 1, that's were I'd go. 96 slots at start sounds about right, maybe wait and see how it shakes out.
                        Last edited by _BuB_; 02-28-2010, 11:34 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

I suggest

server 1: stick to vanilla settings, map rotation conquest & rush
                          server 2: stick to hardcore settings, map rotation conquest & rush
                          server 3: experimental server, mix up the settings a few times a week and try all the combinations and see how it takes

Comment

I'll probably gravitate to the hardcore server and I think having 3 servers at the start sounds like the right amount to me.

As for the server stacking issue, I will be completely honest with you that I know I am going to play on the server that contains my friends on it even if it has more TG. I also think most people will do the same. Since there really isn't anyway to "force" people to spread themselves out, I really don't think there is much more you can do on the issue then jump into TS when it does happen and politely ask people to consider spreading out (the same way we deal with teamstacking on the servers now).

If your really concerned about having one server all TG then limit the reserved slots to 24, that way 25% of the server is always available to non-TG members.

Comment

Originally posted by _BuB_ View Post
                              Usally I prefer a hardcore game style. That would be my first consideration on server choice. Second would be who's playing where, if a whole bunch of players I've gamed with before are in server 1, that's were I'd go. 96 slots at start sounds about right, maybe wait and see how it shakes out.
                              I would normally go for Hardcore mode as well, but not with the destruction in this game. There is no time for careful planning and executing, if your squad is playing really well and holding a 2 story building by yourself deep in our lines, I can simply blow up the building in about 15 seconds with C4 or a tank.

My experience in PR in BF2 (which, granted, is fairly limited) was very slow advances by using the environment as cover, but as I'm sure everyone experienced at least once in Valdez, after a 5-10 minutes standoff at a certain point on the map, there is no environment left.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X